Quantcast

surly 1x1

so how much abuse will one of these take? i plan to build it up with the rigid fork to start, rynolites, hussefelts, 2.5 tires, 32/17. mostly as a trail/xc bike, but with some fun jumping off of stuff. 1-2 foot drops, nothing big. eventually will go to a suspention fork 4/5" something like that. will it take some abuse, or should i look at a beefier frame?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I will handle all you can throw at it. I have a Surly Karate Monkey, I have ridden the snot out of it, jumping logs blasting down rocky ravines where only large sussy 's should go. these bikes are tough, if you want to go huge (consistently 6-10 +++ ) I would point you to an Instigator, but for a all around SSer it's hard to beat a Surly.
I have friends who have owned and abused Original Ratride 1x1's and the still are intact. Its all about the Chromolly, yeah there are lighter materials but if you ain't racing for $$, who cares these bikes are fun and tough...............

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
it is 4130 cromo and it'll be tough for sure! Go for it!

Another option would be an Instigator frame and fork - I believe you can achieve a magic gear ratio on the Instigator to be used as a SS without a tensioner.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't recommend the 1x1 for that kind of riding. I have one which is a great fit for me, and I feel skittish going over a curb.

If you compare it to a Instigator, it looks likes similar in geometry, but the 1x1 is set for a 3" inch fork, while the Instigator is built around a 4-5 inch fork.

I think a true singlespeed has to be able to handle like a XC bike, which I believe is the design philosophy about the 1x1. It can hold up to drops and aggressive riding, but it is not the best bike for it.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Cash-Money said:
i think the KM 29er would benefit my personal style of "plowing over anything in my way" but, the inability to run a 4 or 5" fork eventually would mean i'd ahve to have two bikes. I just dont have the budget for it right now.
Thats what is really cool with the 29er you don't need as much Sus to ride the wheel Diameter really helps in that dept. I am still riding my KM rigid, and I ride rocky trails cleanly that I would of had struggled with on my Klein Adroit....

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Cash-Money said:
i think the KM 29er would benefit my personal style of "plowing over anything in my way" but, the inability to run a 4 or 5" fork eventually would mean i'd ahve to have two bikes. I just dont have the budget for it right now.
Check out the On-One 29er. It's designed for a 100mm fork.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Do you know anyone who can lend you a KM (or any decent 29er) for a few days? Most people love the big wheels once the get a good ride on them (and some people really dislike them, though most who I've talked to dislike them with out really riding them)
to get a good feel you need to spend a few good miles on vary trails, not just a quick lap around a stores parking lot.
If you have any other KM ??? let me know

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
its a fairly xc focused frame, but it is sturdy. dont make a habit of it and stay away from the dirt jumps and it should last. that is if you dont graduate from 1-2 foot drops