Quantcast

Surly track hubs

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I am building my first fixed gear and am wondering what type of hubs I should get. I am thinking about the surly track hubs. Can anybody leave any feedback on the surly's or any other brand/model that is under 100 dollars(the more inexpensive, the better, but I do want decent quality). The bike is going to be for commuting, prolly not racing anytime soon.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Surly is a nice hub at a nice price, I ran their SingleSpeed Disc Hub for almost 2 years. But if want the same hub for even cheaper (sans Surly Graphics) go to either IRO Cycle or NYC Bikes both places do alot of Fixed gear Sales and both places have there own Hubs which are the same Quality as Surly's

IRO Hubs $74 Low or High Flange

NYC Bikes Hubs High Flange $89

Surly Hubs $130 est.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
What kind of frame are you using? Make sure you know that frames hub spacing. I nearly bought a track wheel (120mm) to run on my Surly Crosscheck (135mm) but got educated at the cash register before I paid. Much love to Free Range Cycles is Seattle. I ended up with the Surly F/F Hub and it rules!

Nov 4, 2003
You can just machine spacers if you want to put a 120mm road hub on a 135mm mtb frame. Especially if it is a bolt on set up. That is what I'm doing with a set of Paul high flange track hubs on my Klein Fervor Mtb.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I ran Surly hubs on my commuter fixie for about a year. Sold the bike to a fellow in NYC who I think is still happy with it. Depending on what price you can get them for I say go for it. MUCH better than Suzue!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
elRey said:
yea i need to measure the hub spacing.

munkee- i can get the surly's for abut 55 each, are those prices that you give including both hubs?
Those are the prices for both hubs from their respective websites....

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
splat said:
My suzue Fixed gear hub has never given me a problem in the over 10 years that I have used it .

A lot can happen in ten years.*

*I have no idea if they are good or bad, but you can't compare a ten year old part to a new one.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
i measured the spacing and its like 130-135.
i am prolly gonna use v-deep rims and the surly's, unless the shop has some of those IRO's. i have been waiting so long for these freaking wheels i can not wait.

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
splat said:
My suzue Fixed gear hub has never given me a problem in the over 10 years that I have used it .
suzue hubs work well if your just like commuting occasionally and going at a liesurely pace, i had to do an panic track skid and i bent the axle on mine, other than that they work very well for the money. the surly hubs work flawlessly, i would opt to go for one of those.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
finallly got my wheels a couple days ago and have been riding for the past few days. Here is a pixxzzr

Tell me what ya think!

It's a work in progress. I am going to get new cranks (the ones I have on there are wayyy to long), and probably a new seat.

It tried to kill me today. I was at the top of the steepest hill I have taken it on, when the hub slid a few millimeters forward out of the dropouts. The chain came off and luckily there was a stee uphill driveway like twenty feet down that i turned hard into. The wheel jammed up against the tube and i skidded up the driveway. Almost hit the parked car. Yeah it was scary. I got home and tightened the nuts on the axle a lot and am now contemplating getting a front brake.