e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
if we are talking pure survival here are the most important items needed

compass
signal mirror
whistle
purification tablets

next to water, these are the only things you need to be rescued. heat, food and shelter are luxuries that can be put off for four days (the maximum average time frame of case study rescues)
I usually always have:
Fox 40 whistle (one of the loudest whistles that I have found)
Good signal mirror
A compass that I stole from some marine, oops.
Purification and electrolyte tabs
SAM splint (My ankles suck and I don't want to use sticks)
550 cord
flint

That is my gotta get out now or die kit in a separate small bag.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I have read quite a few survival books and studied some survival films.

Apparently all you need is a plucky attitude and a hatchet, failing that a beach ball with a face will do.

I still haven't finished the book about this kick ass explorer/survivalist/anti capitalist dude who goes into the wild with nothing but a delusional idea and a real smug attitude. As I said I haven't finished it but I'm sure he does great.

You guys are crazy if you think you need more than that.

Edit: missed out several words.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ooh I like. What is it?
It's called "The Annihilator".

Made by Dead-On tools.

I actually bought it for demolition (and it excels at it) but I imagine it would be a terrific defensive weapon. It's heavy but it swings much easier than you would think.

There is a youtube video where they review it for zombie killing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It's called "The Annihilator".

Made by Dead-On tools.

I actually bought it for demolition (and it excels at it) but I imagine it would be a terrific defensive weapon. It's heavy but it swings much easier than you would think.

There is a youtube video where they review it for zombie killing.
$30 Ace Hardware. Works well as a hammer in a pinch....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
had to google "fleshlight" :doh:
So did you order a couple?

Don't bother with matches or lighters. Get a firesteel key. You'll get 12,000 strikes out of one, and it functions when wet.
That is true. Matches and a lighter are luxuries for survival. Best option is a fire starter like you listed, next best option is to know how to make fire with whats around you. Shoe laces, couple sticks, some kindleing and some wood you have fire with a little bit of effort. Find a couple peices of quartz, again your all set..... Just have to think about what you have at hand and you can be set..

Oh and the compass is really nice to have, but the truth is its still good to know how to find north/south without one..... I figured a compass is a given seeing I have three or four in the garage in different bags/box's as it is.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wait, give me some whys, wheres and hows of the situation. Survival kit for day to day run of the mill emergency vs. Zombiepocalyspe vs. nuclear armageddon vs. Red Dawn vs. fleeing the law/enraged ex scenario varies wildly.

And who needs a metal match when you can start fire with a bow drill. Tinder kindling fuel and all...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
What's the emergency that would force you to leave the city? (I'm guessing most of us live in the city)

I'd stay in the city. Most people that live here are dumb but they own all I would need to survive as long as I have guns/ammo.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BOB:
-Shotgun (with reasonable amount of ammo) - Remington 11-48
-Fixed blade survival knife - Gerber Bear Grylls
-p-cord (200ft) 350lb tensile strength
-10'x10' tarp
-thin gauge stainless steel wire (50ft)
-Water filtration - MSR Micro filter w/spare cartridge
-Water bottle/bladder
-Clif bars x 10
-Sleeping bag - REI 20* bag
-Duct tape
-Minimal 1st aid kit

I feel like I'm missing something but I could survive almost indefinitely with a good water source, trapping small game and gathering edibles for sustenance.
As a Bear Grylls fan you should know the lightest and most important survival tool he uses is hotel reservations.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Last edited: