Suspected Playstation 3 Thief Killed by Deputy

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Another story for PAWN

wilmingtonstar.com said:
Deputy kills teen while serving warrant
New Hanover deputies were helping UNCW police make arrest in PlayStation theft case

By Veronica Gonzalez
Staff Writer
veronica.gonzalez@starnewsonline.com

A New Hanover County sheriff's deputy Friday shot and killed an 18-year-old man suspected in an armed robbery of two PlayStation 3 video systems, authorities said.

A puddle of blood on the hardwood floor of his living room left a harsh reminder Saturday of what took place, and family and friends expressed outrage.

The deputy shot Peyton Strickland about 8:45 p.m. Friday in the Long Leaf Acres house Strickland rented with three other young men, said his roommate, Mike Rhoton, who was home at the time. He said Strickland was unarmed.

UNCW police and sheriff's deputies were at the house on 533 Long Leaf Acres Drive to arrest Strickland and serve him a search warrant, according to the university. Strickland was one of two suspects in the armed robbery of a University of North Carolina Wilmington student that occurred Nov. 17.

Investigators were reviewing the conduct of all officers and deputies involved in the incident, said New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David, who confirmed at least one sheriff's deputy was involved in the shooting.

"I am making this my top priority," David said Saturday. "No one's above the law. If there's any criminal conduct that can be established, I'm not going to hesitate to treat them as any other defendant."

Neither he nor Sheriff Sid Causey would release any information on who was present at the time of the shooting or details about why or how it happened. The State Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation, they said.

"It puts a cloud over everybody," Causey said. "Nobody wants things to happen, but they do happen. When they do, we have to investigate ... and then do the approriate thing."

Search for answers

Saturday at the one-story, brown rental house, Strickland's friends and roommates stopped by to grieve the death of the tall, thin welder who friends say wanted to start his own business and was attending Cape Fear Community College.

They also searched for answers.

"I don't understand why shots were fired," Rhoton said. "I've just been trying to figure out why they shot him."

What further shocked Strickland's friends and family was that a deputy also shot and killed Strickland's German shepherd named Blaze.

The dog's blood stained the front porch, and shards of glass from the front-door windows littered the area.

A light blue sheet hung in the door frame after investigators took the door away.

The robbery

UNCW Police planned to arrest Strickland on charges of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and breaking and entering.

On Friday, officers arrested another suspect, UNCW student Ryan David Mills, on the same charges. The 20-year-old lives at 4500 Crawdad Court.

Two weeks after the robbery and after reviewing surveillance video from Wal-Mart, law enforcement officers got a break in the case that started Nov. 17.

That's the Friday when UNCW student Justin Raines was among the first at the Market Street Wal-Mart to buy two coveted PlayStation 3 consoles, released that day.

When Raines came home to the on-campus Seahawk Village apartments after midnight with the games he bought for $641 apiece, two white men in a gold Pontiac pulled up to Raines' car, struck him with a six-inch blunt object and stole his purchases, leaving him with bumps and bruises, UNCW police said.

Because of safety concerns, UNCW Police Chief David Donaldson requested the help of sheriff's deputies to serve the warrants on Strickland, according to a university news release.

Three unloaded guns were in the house - a hunting rifle and two shotguns - which were in Strickland's room, Rhoton said. And when Strickland answered the door, he may have been holding a PlayStation controller in his hand, he said.

Across the country, the release of the PlayStation 3 has sparked robberies, stampedes and other violent incidents.

Before the shooting

Neighbors said they long feared that something bad would happen at 533 Long Leaf Acres Drive - a home historically known for loud parties and noise.

"We even have this address on our refrigerator because we know where the noise is coming from," said Joan Kester, adding that the complaints in the past have revolved around loud music and kids on the roof yelling.

On Friday night, Rhoton said he and Strickland played a PlayStation video game while taking a break from cleaning the house they had moved into in August. Their other two roommates weren't home.

They were playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour when they heard a knock on the door.

Strickland, who sat on a couch closest to the front door, got up to answer, Rhoton said.

As Strickland approached the door, law enforcement officials knocked it down and "there was a bunch of yelling," he said.

"Four or five shots went off and they killed him," he said. "They pinned me down to the ground and told me not to move anything."

Within seconds, Strickland lay on the floor moaning while officers held a gun to Rhoton's head as he lay on the floor.

He said they mentioned something about a search warrant, but they did not provide a copy.

"They never said why they were here, even when I left last night," said Rhoton, who attended Jordan High School with Strickland in Durham.

David assured that the District Attorney's Office would conduct a thorough investigation.

"There's nothing more important than assuring the community that officers are there to serve and protect," David said.

Welding wonders

Strickland's green, 1964 boat he rebuilt sat in the front lawn Saturday - sparking memories for his roommates and friends about how he had sunk a bunch of money into it to rebuild it.

Strickland was the youngest of three children and the only son of a well-known Raleigh-Durham-area lawyer Don Strickland.

Strickland's handiwork extended to almost anything fast - and on wheels. He loved working with metal, even making a chopper from scratch, said his friend Nick Kane.

"Not long before this ... happened, we were planning out an exhaust system for one of my four-wheelin' trucks," Rhoton said.

Strickland was like a brother to many of his friends, said friend Mike Bernard

"He was the best kid, talented, gifted, determined," he said.

Veronica Gonzalez: 343-2008

veronica.gonzalez@starnewsonline.com

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm sure that the roommate who was there at the time of the shooting offered a complete, full, honest, and un-biased recount of the events.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I'm sure that the roommate who was there at the time of the shooting offered a complete, full, honest, and un-biased recount of the events.

nor have some of the other "witnesses" who've gotten airtime in the other recent shootings of criminals by the police.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ah yes. Eugenics. Sometimes it sounds like a good idea that missed its big chance.
yeah, those pesky human right grouches... "my human right this, my human right that.. my right to life, my right to due process", they just like to bitch and moan.
:biggrin:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We don't have any facts in this case about the suspected thieves or murder(s).

It might be the acceptable procedure in the third world, but this should not be acceptable justice in a civilized nation. The kid was suspected of beating a kid and stealing a couple of small ticket items, we aren't talking about an offense a sane judge would sentence you to death for now are we?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

It might be the acceptable procedure in the third world, but this should not be acceptable justice in a civilized nation. The kid was suspected of beating a kid and stealing a couple of small ticket items, we aren't talking about an offense a sane judge would sentence you to death for now are we?
It was a PS3, for God's sakes.

Apparently having any black item in your hand is enough to get you shot nowadays...Thank God my tv remote is white.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC

That's true, and now we don't have to worry about it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It was a PS3, for God's sakes.

Apparently having any black item in your hand is enough to get you shot nowadays...Thank God my tv remote is white.
And you though the law enforcement in Singapore was bad, Michael Fay got off easy.

I guess you haven't heard about the new Wii remote flying off peoples wrist and breaking PDAs, TV screens, and windows?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Won't be an issue until Apple makes the iGlock...
Ah planning for the future and looking forward to the day they use tactical strike procedures on homes of suspected filesharers :biggrin:

I might go for it if they use on it on this guy first:

[url=http://blogs.reuters.com/2006/12/01/the-most-dangerous-download-of-all/]The most dangerous download of all[/url] said:
Using online music services to share songs without paying for them may be illegal, but casual users don’t usually find themselves under the steely gaze of an angry recording industry executive. Unless Dad is the head of Warner Music Group.

We asked Edgar Bronfman, the head of the world’s fourth largest music company, at the Reuters Summit whether any of his seven kids stole music.

“I’m fairly certain that they have, and I’m fairly certain that they’ve suffered the consequences.”

We couldn’t begin to guess what that means. He explained to our Second Life reporter, Adam Pasick:

“I explained to them what I believe is right, that the principle is that stealing music is stealing music. Frankly, right is right and wrong is wrong, particularly when a parent is talking to a child. A bright line around moral responsibility is very important. I can assure you they no longer do that.”

Great, but what did he do to them?

“I think I’ll keep that within the family.”

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nor do we have any facts about what actually happened in that doorway. These speculation-fest threads are just a way for people to beat their chests and/or tear their hair for e-attention...unless there's a fact pattern we can establish, arguing about this is useless.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nor do we have any facts about what actually happened in that doorway. These speculation-fest threads are just a way for people to beat their chests and/or tear their hair for e-attention...unless there's a fact pattern we can establish, arguing about this is useless.
Well we can at least see that sealing the crime scene is a task best left to his former roommates :brow:

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
It isn't like there is a video of gratuitous abuse or anything like that...

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
:imstupid:

Apparently reading comprehension isn't one of my strongest suits.
Yeah it does say that in the article. Sorry for wasting your time.

Let's change the topic of eSpeculation.

Is it appropriate to knock down a door in order to serve a search warrant on a $1200 crime?

Let's say that this wasn't the kid they were looking for. Who is responsible for the property damage?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
:imstupid:

Apparently reading comprehension isn't one of my strongest suits.
Yeah it does say that in the article. Sorry for wasting your time.

Let's change the topic of eSpeculation.

Is it appropriate to knock down a door in order to serve a search warrant on a $1200 crime?

Let's say that this wasn't the kid they were looking for. Who is responsible for the property damage?

I'm wondering when the cops in Indiana are going to put 5 bullets in the guy that gave me phony checks for my amp.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Of course. Proper police procedure is to use tactical assault in dangerous criminal situations like suspected: drug labs, drug dealers, kidnappers, rapists, murders, and borderline petty junevile thieves that live in suburbia :rolleyes:

i'm sure this guy was an up-standing citizen. i'm sure he approached the police in a calm and friendly manner. i'm sure his 3 loaded guns in his bedroom were purely for hunting purposes.

truth is...this scumbag and his POS henchmen, robbed, assaulted, battered someone as they were coming home. doesn't matter if it were playstation 3s they were after(which by the way at that time, were going for 1500-2000 on ebay). what if it was your mother? or your sister? i side with the police until i'm proven wrong. if it was me executing this warrant and this punk even looked at me suspiciously, my 1911 would already be out of the holster.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i'm sure this guy was an up-standing citizen. i'm sure he approached the police in a calm and friendly manner.

if it was me executing this warrant and this punk even looked at me suspiciously, my 1911 would already be out of the holster.
except that the reports said they kicked in the door, so at that point, all expectations of reasonable surrender go out the window since people do panic.

In other words, it's cowards like you that should NOT be on the police force since you're way too quick to shoot first and ask questions later.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i'm sure this guy was an up-standing citizen. i'm sure he approached the police in a calm and friendly manner. i'm sure his 3 loaded guns in his bedroom were purely for hunting purposes.
He was a suspect and they were unloaded and have nothing to do with the story as they weren't involved in this incident or the PS3 robbery. They were only mentioned for sensationalism and would not have any significance in court which is were judgment and punishment are supposed occur.

Three unloaded guns were in the house - a hunting rifle and two shotguns - which were in Strickland's room, Rhoton said. And when Strickland answered the door, he may have been holding a PlayStation controller in his hand, he said.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He was a suspect and they were unloaded and have nothing to do with the story as they weren't involved in this incident or the PS3 robbery.
The ironic part is, so many people that would use the excuse that he had three guns, so shoot him first are the same people that have three guns.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
except that the reports said they kicked in the door, so at that point, all expectations of reasonable surrender go out the window since people do panic.
i think you are making another assumption here.
what if the cops had actually knocked and called??, and in spite of knowing there was people inside, nobody answered the door?

and the ultimate irony, what if the guys were playing some fps and the cocking sound of a gun in the tv put the cops on panic mode instead??
there are many many variables in here

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The ironic part is, so many people that would use the excuse that he had three guns, so shoot him first are the same people that have three guns.
Watch out he'll shoot you with his "gun" :busted:

chillindrdude said:
Biography:
anesthesiologist, mountain biker, snowboard, airsoft enthusiast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
and the ultimate irony, what if the guys were playing some fps and the cocking sound of a gun in the tv put the cops on panic mode instead??
there are many many variables in here
Can anybody read? They were playing golf...its one of the few games for the PS3:

They were playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour when they heard a knock on the door.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Can anybody read? They were playing golf...its one of the few games for the PS3:
it would have been awesome if they had been playing something like counter-strike, and the sounds cop heard when standing in the door were something like this, in the middle of a dead calm.

"take positions".
(loading of a tactical shotgun)
"cover me"
(steps on hardwood floor)
"enemy spotted" followed by an m16 cocking.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I absolutely am. I'm just saying that we have too many Dirty Harry cops out there these days.

Either they enjoy the violence, they're cowards, or they're getting poor training.
As opposed to Internet Matlocks who without even knowing the entire story, seeing a shred of evidence, or understanding what actually took place, will solve the case, condem the cops, and call it a day?

Speculation, and "maybe mongering" by the public and media is just as deadly, if not deadlier to people. Might as well put a giant scarlet letter on the accused chest and just be friggin done with it.