Quantcast

suspension corrected fork on stock frame

StinkLink

Chimp
Apr 30, 2005
Western Massachusetts
Hey I just joined ridemonkey, and heres my first post:
I just put a 100mm suspension corrected, rigid Surley fork on my new Plant-X Alibongo stock trials frame. I think it has some advantages, and disadvantages-
it feels easier to pull up onto my rear wheel in general or to pop up onto a low ledge.

but when I go to kick up onto higher walls and ledges (about 3' and up) if I get up on my bashgaurd it feels like the longer fork makes the whole bike sit a bit further back, which makes it harder to keep my weight foward, and lunge up to get both wheels on.

i'm thinking it pretty much evens out- you start a bit higher, but you need to pull your bike that much higher to get up ontop of a wall (or whatever else) anyway.

comments? what do you think is the best rigid fork for a stock bike?

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
Find out the axel to height measurement on the Surley fork. Stock bikes tend to use a 400-415mm A-H fork, depending on head angle and bb rise of the frame.

The surlys have a tendencey to break on trials bikes, as their not intended for that. CHeck out an Echo Urban or PX Kniffen Light, both a bit more reliable.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
if its 100mm suspension correncted then I am gonna guess that it is in the high 400s. THis is waay too long for trials. It may feel alright right now, but it is gonna make it a lot harder to do roll ups, ups and any kind of front wheel moves in the future. Id say spring for the new fork now and not have to deal with it once you progress. Also, not having to worry about your fork breaking is a nice. Surly has a pretty bad track record when used in a trials context.

I second the Kniffen light and echo urban.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
4" suspension corrected fork is right around a 450mm axle to crown length(give or take 25mm).
I feel like i have the same problem with my fork. Right now I'm running a surly 1x1 which has a 415mm fork. I honestly wish I could have a 385 or a 390mm axle to crown fork. when I'm trying to get up onto things, it would be super nice to be lower and over the front end more. with a longer fork, its much harder to do that.
You're right, witha longer fork, it's easier to bunny hop and lift up the front end, but then again, if you put a shorter fork on there, you'll get used to it and work around it. but ya, the long fork you have is way too long for trials. definatly look into something shorter.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ditto everything said plus:

not to mention your bottom bracket height is probly somewhere around +40mm with that sort of fork on an Alibongo. Get the 400mm px, it should leave you with a +20mm bb height which will still give you plenty of leverage for ups and natural.