Quantcast

suspension damping

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
It requires less maintenance than a cartridge , in theory it also tend to be plusher ( less sticky ) but weight significantly more than a cartridge (Im referring to the weight of the damper itself)

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
hey can some sone tell me what is the advantage of having an open oil bath damping system over a cartridge damping system?
Open oil bath typically has more oil so heat isn't such a big issue, it is a bit plusher cuz oil is splashing everywhere and lubing the seals, bushings and stanchions.

Cartridges keep contaminants out a bit better cuz dirt has to go though the wiper and main seal and then through the cartridge seal. But more seals = more striction.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
Using a cartridge system can reduce the amount of oil needed to in the damping system, therefore reducing weight.

Another advantage of a cartridge is keeping the oil from mixing with air (can be done with a floating piston under pressure or bleeding) to minimise foaming, therefore maintaining consistent damping..

But as mentioned, more seals and complexity required..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It requires less maintenance than a cartridge , in theory it also tend to be plusher ( less sticky ) but weight significantly more than a cartridge (Im referring to the weight of the damper itself)
Avalanche dampers are around the weight of boxxer ones so that isn't exactly true ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I don't think the actual dampers are heavier. The extra oil might add a bit though, but open bath forks are getting pretty light these days anyway.

The two things I like about sealed cartridge forks are:
a) No oil contamination, bushing lube oil can get pretty messy (some dirt always gets past the stanchion seals too), and if there's a spring in there it's even worse.
b) No foaming as mentioned above, though this only applies to a completely sealed setup (fox fit, dorado, etc).

Another benefit if you geek out on this stuff, is that you can use application specific oils (different fluids for damping and bushing lube).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised, since the mico dh damper uses 245ml of oil (abnormally high for a semi-bath damper). Most other cartridges use a lot less however.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
It's dampening, not damping. Damping is what you do with a paper towel to soak up a spill. dampening is what your dampener or shock does to control it's velocity of compression and rebound.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
It's dampening, not damping. Damping is what you do with a paper towel to soak up a spill. dampening is what your dampener or shock does to control it's velocity of compression and rebound.
My vibrations professor called a kid an idiot for trying to correct him like that.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
At a previous job, where we did a lot of damper work, I used to joke around about the tendency to add extra syllables to the word "damping", so I started calling it "damplenering". If one extra syllable is good, then several extra syllables must be great!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
At a previous job, where we did a lot of damper work, I used to joke around about the tendency to add extra syllables to the word "damping", so I started calling it "damplenering". If one extra syllable is good, then several extra syllables must be great!
Moaaar fluid regulation discs!!!!!