Quantcast

suspension future?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
so the default is set for aggressive driving... "sorry officer but my car's in aggressive mode, its suppose to be driven like this." :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry, IIRC, this has already been used on MTBs.
Back in the day Noleen used this on the Pro-Flex/K2 bikes.
not exactly. The noleen used a variable damper port with standard shock oil, iirc. The port could open and close based on shaft speed.

This stuff, at least with the GM parts and many others, use shock oil impregnated with iron particles and an electromagnet to thicken the oil when appropriate. Typically these systems use sensors on the suspension arms rather than shaft speed, but I could be wrong.

Definitely has potential, but huge detriments I see are weight of the fluid, the magnets, and the battery to power it. Vs. a standard shock, that could be a lot of weight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Definitely has potential, but huge detriments I see are weight of the fluid, the magnets, and the battery to power it. Vs. a standard shock, that could be a lot of weight.
yup.
Rod Millen designed a system specifically desgined for off-road military use in the earlier part of the decade http://www.millenworks.com/html/suspension_systems.htm
http://www.physorg.com/news432.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto_rheological_suspension
all these types of system though require numerous support systems to work..mainly a electric source.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's a pretty interesting concept. I wonder how the fluid holds up. This seems like it would break down a lot faster than the average oil.
yeah it does. he showed how it worked on that show Rides...its basically fluid that has a significant amount of metal in it to make it work obviously.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Progressive looked into it back around 2002 or so. At the time, it was too expensive.

Yes, it can be done. The challenge would be getting the weight and cost at a point where people will pay for it. I think if it could be made to work better than a shimmed damper with a reasonable weight that factory moto teams would be using it. Road vehicles have significantly different environments and vehicle dynamics.

being a bike nerd, it would be cool since it could be easily tuned.

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Shock manufacturers are trying to remove liquids as part of the equation not introduce more of it, that putting aside the absolute need for electricity from somewhere into making the electromagnets work, also the load on the bike shocks is far less than on a automobile for example thus issues like these can be solved using air or other gases as fluids.

Btw, ferrari 599 gtb uses those kinda shocks from Delphi called "magneto-rheological" since 2006 on the production model ;)

P.S. hello everyone :)