Quantcast

suspension gurus and smart people question for ya

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
alright so the ti spring for my slider + wont be finished till almost the end of the season so i was pondering these 2 options.
1) take my firefly ti spring and the slider spring measure them side by side, cut off slider spring and add on top or below ti spring. will the rates be different, how will it feel, willl it even work?
2) option 2, get a xworks spring from manitou, cut it to length os slider spring and bam. seems like this should work perfectly except for the spring diameter's could be different due to the z works having larger uppers and lowers.
thanks

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
springs aren't as "hard" a science as one might think.

As long as you got the right length, either made up of springs or springs and spacers, and the spring can compress to the full amount of travel, it should work. I ran a combination mostly-speedspring stack in my old manitou FS with no problems, originally it came with a short 3" spring and like 8" of elastomer.

You could cut a larger spring that is designed for more travel (like the X-works), but you are going to want to do the math to make sure that it works out in terms of compressiong and such, spring constant, etc.