Quantcast

Suspension Or No Suspension?

Zach

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
The mouth of the Rat
Ive been doing urban and dj'ing for a while on a hardrock xc. Im plannning on getting the Specialized p.1, as i read more and more about Bikes with suspenision over Bikes with no suspension its got me wondering. BUT ive learned how to Catwalk/wheely, Manual, nose stall, tail stall, J-hop/bunny hop etc. etc. on a bike WITH suspension so, should I take a risk and go to a BMX bike or stick with my guns and get the p.1?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
It depends on your style and what you like.

Personally if i could only afford one and it was meant just for street and djing id get a bmx. It will suck at first but you will learn so much more and flow so much better.

I own both and don't ride street much but if i did more id definetly take out my bmx, i just like dirt jumping my mountain bike more.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
mobius said:
It depends on your style and what you like.

Personally if i could only afford one and it was meant just for street and djing id get a bmx. It will suck at first but you will learn so much more and flow so much better.

I own both and don't ride street much but if i did more id definetly take out my bmx, i just like dirt jumping my mountain bike more.
i started out on an mtb about a year ago and found that as i get smoother ive wanted a more bmxish bike

for example i started w/ a p.2-basic
i bumped up the travel twice and ended up at a flick plus, which i hate for most things
im now building up a soul cycles Roscoe w/ 24" and 100mmm travel
sooner or later ill get a bmx as well

i reccomend u start w/ some suspension and as u get smoother transition to smaller biks, or if u find dj/urban isnt ur thing move on up to a big bike and have fun FR/DHing it

its all personal preference IMO:p

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'd go with the P1 unless you're doing strict park/dirt jump stuff. Mountain bikes are so much more versatile, you'll be able to ride singletrack and stuff like that on the P1.

If you don't plan on mountain biking, I'd go with the BMX because it's built for park and jumps more than the P1 is. Plus, as others have said, it'll give you skills.