Quantcast

Suspension setup (Whistler)

Had

Chimp
Mar 15, 2010
I'm heading out to Whistler for a month in August. Just wondered if anyone knows if there are any shops / people in Whistler that service and setup suspension?

I have heard about suspension works in Vancouver but I am heading straight up to Whistler when I get out there so they may be out of the way.

I can always send my stuff to tf tuned here but I was hoping it might be cheaper out there.

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
yeah its a much better idea to get your suspension tuned near whistler than were you already live. hopefully i wont give away too much, but the hardcore Canadian tune uses a mixture of chainsaw oil, maple syrup and a pinch of loam for fork oil.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm heading out to Whistler for a month in August. Just wondered if anyone knows if there are any shops / people in Whistler that service and setup suspension?

I have heard about suspension works in Vancouver but I am heading straight up to Whistler when I get out there so they may be out of the way.

I can always send my stuff to tf tuned here but I was hoping it might be cheaper out there.
What do you need serviced? Fork or shock or both?

Had

Chimp
Mar 15, 2010
What do you need serviced? Fork or shock or both?
Rear shock (demo 7 fox dhx), I can do the forks myself (boxxers) but wouldnt mind getting some one with some knowledge to set them up as I generally fit and forget and dont really play with settings

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Rear shock (demo 7 fox dhx), I can do the forks myself (boxxers) but wouldnt mind getting some one with some knowledge to set them up as I generally fit and forget and dont really play with settings
I don't know anyone in Whis doing rear shocks currently, one guy at Summit was doing them but it's basically just a rebuild as far as I'm aware, no replacement of parts. Evolution are the Specialized dealers, and if you speak to Darcy there he'll certainly be more than capable of helping you set both ends of your bike up, he's a super knowledgeable mechanic and one of the most experienced I've ever met.

Getting your suspension serviced voluntarily whilst on holidays is madness. Believe me, I had to get it done while in Whistler on holidays, and it was a miserable experience due to time off the bike.

Get your bike sorted before you go, or you risk delays when you could be riding.

Getting your suspension serviced locally also means you have some sort of warranty.

You'll get best taken care of at Mojo if you live in the UK.

JT

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My 40 bladder blew up, and I snapped the spring too (turns out I was undersprung). I went to Summit (Ski and Bike shop) and got excellent quick, pro service, over lunch. Of course this was mid-september, so not a very busy time. Turns out the head wrench there (last summer anyways), used to be Fox's service guy for western canada. He knew his isht, was super nice, and got the fork working good and proper.

However, I have to agree with what others said. I would get your suspension dialled before heading out to minimize down time. Otherwise, if you don't want down time, renting a bike for the day is about $75 to $100....

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
There's a place in Vancouver than can service and tune forks and shocks. http://www.suspensionwerx.com/

However, I'd say the same, get your bike sorted now and then ride the crap out of it in Whistler. Vancouver is a 2hr drive south and you don't want to loose any riding time getting parts fixed. Oh and parts can be pricey in Whistler, so make sure you take the essential spares with you, tubes, cables, chain, maybe even a spare rear mech.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Shawn Cruikshanks is the local rock shox guru, he works out of Tantalus shop in Squamish, but also is in Whistler (Chromag Headquarters in Function) on mondays and thursdays. Western Canada Fox guy is out of Squamish too, but I'm not sure what his name is, James at The Fix in Function sent my dhx down to him for a full rebuild a few weeks back, great work, shock feels amazing.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
SuspensionWerx is also usually a one week turn around in the summer. So unless you have a week off the bike planned forget about it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Pete Schenk . . .lives on Skyline , easier to simply drop by any of the shops in town and have them send your suspension to him as he works both from home and another location ...
that's the one...that's exactly what I did since I didn't have any time constraints.

...that being said, if you need RS stuff done, bring it to Shawn here in Whistler first thing Mondays or Thursdays and it's very likely he'll have it done same day...

Last edited: