Quantcast

Suspension tuning question

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Anyone know of some online resources that can give me some help in tuning my front and rear suspension. I feel that I am just taking stabs in the dark so any tips would be most helpful.

Thanks
:confused:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I suggest that you find a trail that you ride alot and try this:

Set the sag according to the manufacturer's specs. Usually that's 30-45%. Set the rebound and compression in the middle of their adjument range (if equipped). Take a couple runs. Then adjust one parameter to max on or off. Make mental notice of how it effected the ride quality. Adjust it to the other limit and make another run. Make a mental note of how it effected the ride. Repeat again with the other adjustment, but remember to put the first adjuster back to the middle. After you can see how each effects the ride, you can then make educated adjustments based on what you want. But at first keep your adjustments to one parameter per run. That will keep it less confusing. After you have a good understanding of what the common adjustments do you can then make changes to oil volume, oil weight, and spring weight.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well if you have a stable platform shock (SPV) like a swinger or 5th element I'd go download their guide so you understand what all the screws and dials mean :)

Front forks are similar, the manuals state different specs on how to setup the forks right. If it has air it tells you what % to use, preload and rebound as well.

Alot of the times, given your weight, most settings will work without changing springs/oil heights etc... Marzocchi forks are notorious for being low on oil out of the box. Easy fix though, add some, measure it, and done.

If you're a big dude, then you might have to look into heavier springs for both front/rear shocks as the ones that come on bikes work for a good range but I think that manufactures are finding that heavier and heavier guys keep riding their bikes and to find that a 350lbs spring isn't enough but a 500lbs sucks when you buy a new bike and already have to start swaping pieces.

Post what kind of setup you have and people will respond, I know this :)