Quantcast

Suspension

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
I've tried rigid and now I'm using suspension on my Planet X Zebdi (thanks to my Kinesis Maxlight biting the big one a few weeks ago, I should have listened to you guys here on the board). I was just wondering what some of you other riders thought about the issue of suspension vs. rigid.

From my perspective I like the way a rigid handles any movement more than the suspension because it feels like you know exactly where your tire is at any given moment.

I also like the way suspension gives you just a tiny bit of cushion for doing things not so smooth.

I realize that for some of you guys it may be a moot point, but I would appreciate any personal insight people out there might have....

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Dislike suspension unless you also do street moves. Can be nice when learning though. I dont think it's a big deal because unless it's a longer travel or heavy susp fork, it won't hold you back that much. There's some damn good riders riding suspension forks (norco trials team). just be sure to run an XC fork and get it as stiffly sprung as possible.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Weather you use suspension or not depends largely on your riding style. If you're doing stuff that involves a lot of big drops, you probably want suspension. Whereas if you're doing more technical stuff, rigid is better.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
If you're doing stuff that involves a lot of big drops, you probably want suspension.
Not necessarily. In trials most people run full rigid and still do the big drops. The key is how they land it. I've heard from a lot of trials riders that they don't like suspension in the front since it is not as responsive.

Fokker

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
A-Town Oregon
Yeah, I agree with rigid forks being more responsive. With suspension you have to learn to cope with a couple inches of your fork moving up and down while setting up/doing moves.

The only problem I had with my rigid fork was that it broke and the only replacement I had at the time was suspension, which I subsequently put on the bike.

On my other bike (New Jack Flash) I have a DJ1 and it is not conducive to trials at all. In fact it puts my bottom bracket up to 15", and my center of balance is pretty off. I might say this makes suspension less desirable on a trials bike.

The benefits of having a suspension fork that I can think of would just be, a suspension fork lets you be a little less smooth. That being said, I am definitely not very smooth...