Quantcast

Suspensiony Stuff (custom damper)

Not sure if any of you guys on the wide web have done this, but I decided to give it a go:

I got bored and after speaking with a mate of mine, started brainstorming options to replace the current (old) MoCo damper in the 32 Boxxers.

The unit is ok, but allows no room to properly tune your low speed due to the ported design with the plate at the bottom. I wanted a shimmed set up with a needle port to control the low speed compression, so started working.

Some of you may recognise the damper as a different part of a fork, and it pretty much is - with a few tweaks. So far, it seems pretty good, but certainly needs moar shimz!

On that note - anyone know where the hell I can get shims of varying sizes in the Gold Coast?

Piccies!

*Ugh, please excuse disgusting phone photos. A certain someone still won't give me back my camera.*

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If that's the rebound rod out of a 32mm boxxer (used for compression), I'd check that it doesn't contact the actual rebound piston at full compression.

As dhkid said we've done it before...
You can buy shims in aus from www.teknikracing.com

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What piston are you using? Looks like the stock Boxxer rebound piston (with an o-ring instead of a glide ring too?)?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
As udi said - be careful the rebound piston doesn't hit your compression piston at full travel.

Maybe try modding the MoCo centre shaft to accept the shimmed piston rather than using the ported/shimmed rebound unit. At least the length of the unit won't potentially cause problems with the rebound piston.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I was curious about the piston too but didn't ask. There isn't really a way to use the stock rebound piston as a proper shimmed damper (with shims on one side / check valve on the other side, and one-way flow either side)....

So either you have a damper that doesn't really work properly, or came up with some magical solution that I can't see or fathom. :)