Quantcast

Sustainable Trails Coalition - BILL INTRODUCED

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Time to contact your Congressional reps. A bill has been introduced to end the blanket ban of bicycling in Designated Wilderness Areas.

It sure would be nice, as a mt biker, to support MORE Designated Wilderness, instead of having to oppose it.

http://www.sustainabletrailscoalition.org/press-releases/
http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=press-releases&id=C07E34FA-887B-49B9-8B4A-CDCE84E5DF79
https://www.scribd.com/document/318327054/Human-Powered-Travel-in-Wilderness-Areas-Act#from_embed

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
In a perfect mtb world this is fantastic, but unless every other state is different than mine there is not enough money to maintain trails that are easy to access.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a perfect mtb world this is fantastic, but unless every other state is different than mine there is not enough money to maintain trails that are easy to access.
Seems that this would create a new pool of volunteers... I mean - if you're primarily a mt biker, do you have any incentive at all to help maintain trails in Wilderness Areas? I don't.

I *would* if some of the stellar routes currently in WA were open to riding.

Perhaps we might get more $$ allocated as well once the mt bikers are Wilderness supporters? Perhaps a pipe-dream... but this bill would be a good start.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Just to be clear - this bill would NOT unilaterally open trails to biking. It would allow, at the discretion of the land manager, opening of specific trails.

So instead of LOSING great singletrack like we did up in Idaho recently, we could keep it WHILE designating new WIlderness Area.

I, for one, would very much like to support new Wilderness Designations... but I cannot do it while the arbitrary ban on bicycles continues.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have always supported wilderness despite the ban, because I believe in preserving open space.
That said, I have been known to break access rules on those lands that I find restrictive/selective to certain users (bikes, access to public waters).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just to be clear - this bill would NOT unilaterally open trails to biking. It would allow, at the discretion of the land manager, opening of specific trails.

So instead of LOSING great singletrack like we did up in Idaho recently, we could keep it WHILE designating new WIlderness Area.

I, for one, would very much like to support new Wilderness Designations... but I cannot do it while the arbitrary ban on bicycles continues.
This eleventy million times. Best of luck to the sponsors!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I have always supported wilderness despite the ban, because I believe in preserving open space.
As I said - I would love to be able to support new Wilderness Area designations. SO much of our really nice high country is already tied up in Wilderness, though, that I won't support more until bikes are allowed back in. And up in Idaho, those local riders just lost what (from my understanding) was an absolutely spectacular backcountry bike route. And since the ban on bikes was arbitrarily put in place in the early 80's (despite the language of the original Wilderness Act allowing bicycles), it's extra-irritating.

That said, I have been known to break access rules on those lands that I find restrictive/selective to certain users (bikes, access to public waters).
Out here that's kind of playing bike-Russian-roulette. I believe it happens, but the consequences are rather high.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Give me a clickable link that'll generate a letter to my senators and representatives and I'll click and fill in my infoz.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
As I said - I would love to be able to support new Wilderness Area designations. SO much of our really nice high country is already tied up in Wilderness, though, that I won't support more until bikes are allowed back in. And up in Idaho, those local riders just lost what (from my understanding) was an absolutely spectacular backcountry bike route. And since the ban on bikes was arbitrarily put in place in the early 80's (despite the language of the original Wilderness Act allowing bicycles), it's extra-irritating.

Out here that's kind of playing bike-Russian-roulette. I believe it happens, but the consequences are rather high.
I agree 100% on all that.
New trails getting built there seems like a stretch, unless it can provide local economic benefits, but new designation removing existing trails is bullshit.

The anti bike hiker/horse groups are out of hand, just like the 'im rich so I own the coastline/lake' crowd.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Places that have lost land to wilderness like Idaho is one reason I would want this to happen, another reason is to keep "ebikes" (scratch that) electricmotorcycles out. It would maybe help redefine the "motorized" vehicle that keeps bikes out in the first place. However I dont even want to think about the fight this bill will start.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Places that have lost land to wilderness like Idaho is one reason I would want this to happen, another reason is to keep ebikes out. It would maybe help redefine the "motorized" vehicle that keeps bikes out in the first place. However I dont even want to think about the fight this bill will start.
We need to stop referring to those things as e-bikes. They are electric motorcycles. The existence of cranks and pedals is irrelevant to their categorization.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Last I looked, this opened up wilderness to logging as well (I need to look again). If that's the case, I can't support it. I'd rather have no trails than for Congress to open up wilderness to that for profit aspect.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
And up in Idaho, those local riders just lost what (from my understanding) was an absolutely spectacular backcountry bike route.
Ants Basin was a great route my wife and I rode on our honeymoon. I was sad to see it getting closed as I would have loved to ride there more in the future.