Quantcast

Suze Haywood-Screwed by UCI

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Taken from another forum...and orignially from Granny Gear.
-
<<Sue Haywood's Olympic Dreams are dashed by incompetence at USACycling and a bull-rush "arbitration" that did not provide Haywood with proper legal representation. Shame on NORBA and USACycling who continue to leave this incredible failure unexplained.

******For Immediate Release****

Davis, WV
July 22, 2004
For more info contact: Susan Haywood
(304) 259-5424, suzehaywood@yahoo.com
Susan Haywood’s Statement

On Friday July 16, 2004 I was chosen to represent the United States at the Olympic Games in Women’s Mountain Biking. I had earned the most UCI points (from the cycling world’s governing body) of any U.S. woman mountain biker and had won what many of us were calling the “crazy points chase”.

I made phone calls to people close to me, my parents, my coach, my good friends and teammates. It was a feeling of great pride knowing that my sole goal for the year was achieved.

No one has disputed that I earned the 15 points at the Sandpoint, Idaho UCI sanctioned E2 race. And I believe that the race promoters followed proper procedure. Yet due to a clerical error on both USACycling’s part as well as the UCI chief commissaire at that race, these points were never received by the UCI.

I repeatedly received assurances from USA Cycling’s Chief Operating Officer, Steve Johnson and the National Mountain Bike Coach, Matt Cramer as far back as April that these points would count toward my points total. I believed them and based my racing schedule around their word. If I had known those 15 points were not going to count, I could have adjusted my race schedule to make them up.

Even though I was named to the team and had gained the most points in one year with the deadline of July 12, 2004, my nomination was denied by a very last minute arbitration, which “awarded” the spot to Mary McConneloug.

According to the decision of an independent arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association, “It is unfortunate that Ms. Haywood has to bear the burden of USA Cycling’s errors. While, Ms. Haywood sadly bears the brunt of this …she and all other athletes will benefit if this decision leads USA Cycling and other national governing bodies issuing clearer, more transparent procedures that allow athletes to compete on a level and open playing field.”

When I signed up for my racing license, I didn’t expect to have to ‘bear a burden of errors’, mistakes and poor leadership for an organization that receives $6 million dollars every four years to field Olympic cycling teams. I expect an organization with that responsibility to conduct itself professionally by doing its job and keeping its word.

All the athletes involved in this year’s bid for the Olympics have acted with courage and integrity. I don’t feel USA Cycling has done this. I trusted them and they violated that trust. Certainly, to be denied my Olympic spot due to a clerical error is unfair.

This is not sour grapes towards Mary McConneloug. Mary and I have always and will continue to maintain the highest level of sportsmanlike behavior that is expected of Olympians. I applaud the U.S. Woman Mountain Bikers who, despite being ranked number one in the world with two in the top three and two more in the top 15, have received only one Olympic spot. But that’s another story.

Thanks go out to all who have supported me this year and throughout these stressful last weeks. Ride on!

Susan Haywood>>

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what a mess this whole thing is - USA Cycling must be one half assed organization or something. Are things this messy on the men's side as well?

And how come we only get one woman rider?? Does every country only get one person who can enter? If so, that is f'd up too.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Here is how riders are selected for the Olympics:

The number of start spots for each country is determined by how well the nation scored in the International Cycling Federation's annual MTB rankings at the end of the year PRIOR to the Olympics. Those ranking are compiled by adding up the points from each nation's top three riders in a year's worth of national, continental and world competition.

There are 50 Olympic start spots. Countries listed in the top five of the 2003 UCI Nation Rankings receive three entries each. Those ranked 6 to 15 will get two. One start spot is awarded to countries placed 16 to 22. The remaining eight spots go to nations ranked first or second in continental championships held outside of Europe.

The women's Olympic field will have 30 riders. Three start spots go to the top three countries on the 2003 year end UCI Nation Rankings. Countries rated fourth to ninth earn two spots. Those placed 10 to 14 only earn one. The final four spots will go to countries with top results in continental championships contested outside of Europe.

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=869