Quantcast

SVEN MARTIN's Benefit RAFFLE @ Mammoth!!!

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
As I’m sure most of you are well aware by now,…

…a great friend to the mountain bike community, SVEN MARTIN, was broke his neck while riding in Whistler just before the Crankworx MTB festival. Luckily, Sven was not paralyzed, but he will be out of commission for at least 3 months+. Because of the unfortunate circumstances & not being able to work, his medical bills (let alone personal bills) are stacking up!!

Thanks to a few of Sven’s close friends, led by Pro Downhill star April Lawyer, the mountain bike community is planning on holding a RAFFLE during the US National Championships in Mammoth, Calif. Time is tentatively scheduled for after the PRO MtnCross race on Saturday, Sept 17. Stay tuned for any possible updates/changes & we’ll also have the announcers let everyone know at the race what the latest word will be.

Anyone who attended “Sven’s Benefit Raffle” at the NORBA Finals in Mt Snow, knows that a ton of prizes were given out & we were able to make a nice chunk of change for Sven.

So come on out & donate whatever you can to help out our friend! There’s sure to be tons of awesome products won! I personally will be donating a stack of UTOPIA Optics product & a FREE Custom Painted Helmet by DYLAN DEAN DESIGNS!

--- --- ---

WHAT: RAFFLE to benefit SVEN MARTIN

WHERE: ’05 US National MTB Championships @ Mammoth, Calif.

WHEN: (tentative) Right after the PRO Mountain Cross race on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2005

WHY: To help a friend of the MTB Community offset his expensive medical bills.

HOW MUCH?: Raffle Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20

--- --- ---

If anyone would like to donate product for the raffle, you can contact me at 760-443-3344 or email me at jdd@dylandeandesigns.com. Or you can bring the product with you at Mammoth.

If you aren’t going to be able to make it to Mammoth, but would still like to be a part of the raffle, or would like to donate some money. You can [P]PAYPAY[/P] the funds by visiting www.DylanDeanDesigns.com OR send the money (check or money order preferred – written out to SVEN MARTIN) to me at the address below. Raffle money must be received no later than TUESDAY, Sept 20. Anything received after that date will be sent directly to Sven.

SVEN MARTIN
c/o Jeremiah Dean
P.O. Box 461029
Escondido, California

PAYPAL by visiting www.DylanDeanDesigns.com

--- --- --- ---

**BONUS**
I've just talked to Doug Heiser from DHRacers.com & the Turner/Honda Team. It turns out, they too are setting up another auction/raffle at Hennessey's Tavern (in Dana Point, CA) on Thurs, SEPT 22.

In order not to get the "Sven Recovery Funds" too out of hand, we've decided to join forces by counting the raffle tickets as a 2 for 1! What this means is that if you buy tickets for the Mammoth raffle, any ticket that doesn't win can be used at the raffle at Hennessey's the following week!

Although the Mammoth Raffle will close at the following times:
  • MAIL - Wednesday, Sept 14
  • PAYPAL - Friday, Sept 16
The PAYPAL service will remain open until the date of the Hennessey's Raffle in order to collect additional Raffle ticket purchases (date/time subject to change)

Stay Tuned for more info as it becomes available!

If you have any questions, please feel free to conact me at jdd@dylandeandesigns.com

Please note: The winner of any raffle prize must pay for all shipping charges (unless they are present at the raffle). Please remember this is a NON-profit raffle/auction.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm glad to hear that some fundraising is happening!!

Props to you Dylan for donating the custom helmet!! I bet that is going to sell a lot of tickets! I can't make it to mammoth but I will certainly be buying some tickets. There's nothing like having the chance to help out a fallen rider/racer/friend and have a chance to win a spiffy custom painted helmet all at once!

:) :) :)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
nice thanks for the info , i was hoping to do the short track benefit thing at mt snow but then i busted my leg

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Jestere said:
I'm down for 5 tickets, but do you think you could open up a paypal account to simplify things for some of us? Or I'll send a check, whatever works :p
Will set it up now. I'll post a DONATION BUTTON on my website tomorrow....I'm not at home now

in the meantime, here's a TEMPORARY LOCATION for the SVEN MARTIN RECOVERY FUND PayPal link;

http://www.myspace.com/jdylandean

it's on the right hand column in the ABOUT ME column
"MAKE A DONATION"

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If we're wanting to donate and enter the raffle, do you just donate the $20 on that paypal link, say what it's for, and you'll toss in 5 tickets for each $20 that you get as a donation?

Let us know more of how it works!

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Spunger said:
If we're wanting to donate and enter the raffle, do you just donate the $20 on that paypal link, say what it's for, and you'll toss in 5 tickets for each $20 that you get as a donation?

Let us know more of how it works!

yah, basically.... for those who can't attend, i'll make note of who bought raffle tickets & how much they donated. "Typically" you've gotta be there to win, but i'll try & see if i can sort things out for y'all. If you do attend, but pay w/ paypal, just hit me up a the event & i'll sort you guys out w/ raffle tickets.

Also note, i might be hooking up w/ another group doing a seperate auction/donation for Sven (you'll see the post on RM soon), so if you use paypal to enter the raffle, it might be best to shoot me an email & let me know. jdd@dylandeandesigns.com

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
_bp said:
No offense to Sven, but send money to someone that is in real need.
He can't work for three months. It's the end of the season. He's s.o.l. anyway. Maybe he should have some better insurance.
You are a cold hearted piece of crap.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
_bp said:
Sure that was the coldest thing I've ever written, but I don't think you realize how wrong you are about me.
If you personally know Sven, help him out.

If you are sending money because it will make you feel closer to the scene, instead buy a homeless person lunch, send some money to the Red Cross, a battered woman's shelter, cancer research, AIDs research, Sudanese refugee relief funds, NPR, Tsunami relief, the Lance Armstrong foundation, the Make a Wish Foundation, Food banks, families of dead soldiers, Operation Give, Operation Uplink, Heifer International, Grameen Foundation, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, International Rescue Committee, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Int'l, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, , Salvation Army....
Should I continue?
I am not trying to be a dick, but maybe recent events have led me to read this post a little differently.

Go ahead and send Sven five bucks. It is certainly a nice thing to do for someone most probably don't know, but don't forget about the people who are truly in NEED.

I really really feel bad for Sven. I wish him a very speedy recovery.
So you are assuming that because I'm buying a few raffle tickets to support a friend, yes I do know Sven, that I don't support other charities?? Thats astute.

The mountain bike community is such a great thing to be apart of because when people get in a bind, those who can help eachother out. I guess I don't understand why this would bother someone so much.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
bp...no offense here as well. Your points are legit. However, from reading your post you and everyone else might as well head off to Africa or some other third world country and really address poverty and need issues.Sure there are others probably in more need than Sven but we are here on an MTB forum, addressing issues that relate around it. As long as people are helping out other people..that is what should be the core...not so much who needs the help more the starving child in Africa, the homeless in New Orleans or Sven. Helping out is helping out.
Peace

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
_bp said:
I hope Sven recovers quickly.

Reread ALL of my post and not just that parts that piss you off.
Okay now I am just being a dick.

-tootles
Hey, you're fully entitled to your own opinions. No one is forcing you to choose to donate to Sven over another charity. Giving support is a personal choice and each person has to choose their cause. I guess I just felt the way it was expressed originally and where it was expressed was a bit over the top.

Yes there are people that are in need at a far greater level than Sven, but, sometimes people need just a little help to get back on there feet after something like this. I've been helped out by members of the MTB community after two really bad race accidents. Now that I'm in the position to help someone else out, I feel it's only right to recipricate when I can.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Look. I don't want to get into any arguments here & i don't want this post to turn into a Sven or _bp bashing topic.

If you don't want to contribute, then don't. if you feel that your money is better of going elsewhere, then by all means donate the money elsewhere. By no means am I or anyone else out there telling you that you have to donate any money or that if you don't donate, then you're going to hell. ya know!?!? Yes there are tons of diseases, disasters, injured people in need. By no means am i saying you shouldn't donate to them. & by no means am i saying that you should donate to Sven's benefit.

However, as for your question about insurance...."Unfortunately, Sven did not have any medical insurance coverage up in Canada, and he is now facing some serious medical bills. As part of his recovery he is prohibited from excessive movement, and as a result is unable to work. To complicate matters, his wife Anka has also been unable to work while looking after him in these crucial early weeks of recovery.

Sven has been instrumental in organizing and hosting big benefits and fundraisers at his annual video premiere parties here in Southern California. He has raised money for trail advocacy groups as well as fellow racers in need. Through these types of events Sven raised over $2000 for Johnny Waddel after his injury.

We want to return the favor and do what we can to help Sven during these challenging time"

Look, regardless on your opinion on where YOUR money should go, this is a good cause. Who are we to honestly say one person's injury is worse than anothers?

If you decide to donate, thank you. If you decide to donate elsewhere, thank you. I think the real point is that we're actually doing something good for someone else.....don't ya think?

jd

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I just added a link on my website for anyone who wants to use PAYPAL to donate to the Fund.

www.DylanDeanDesigns.com

here are a few companies/people who've already notified me that they'd donate produt to the raffle! Thanks guys!

• Answer Manitou
  • Hayes Brakes
  • Pearl Izumi
  • TruVativ (Sram)
  • Matt Collin / SolidFoto.com
  • Evelio Suarez
  • UTOPIA Optics
  • Dylan Dean Designs

.....& yes i'm in the process of updating all my photos from:
  • Angel Fire World Cup
  • Snowmass NORBA NCS
  • Mt Snow NORBA NCS

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Some things were brought to my attention that have led to a change of heart, so ignore my earlier stuff.
Good luck all.

I know sanjay

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
The OC
_bp said:
Some things were brought to my attention that have led to a change of heart, so ignore my earlier stuff.
Good luck all.
Is it the fact hat sven pays his way to this stuff. Being a pro mtber makes u a poor person.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I know sanjay said:
Is it the fact hat sven pays his way to this stuff. Being a pro mtber makes u a poor person.
Not to mention a broke ass Photographer. I quit racing a few years ago since i was becoming broke going to all the races, then i had this "brilliant" idea to become a mtb photographer which would "pay my way" to all of the races. What was I THINKING!?!?! Now i'm even more broke! I think i'm gonna quit shooting photo & become a racer again...to "recoup" some of my losses! haha

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Yeah the pay-your-own way crap is what turned me.

You want to here something about me. I am a photographer too. I work at a newspaper and have a photojournalism degree from a top program. I have been at it for three years since graduating and still struggle to pay my bills every single month.

And I race mountain bikes.

If I would have said that before I started all this nonsense nobody would have even listened to the babbling idiot.

I know sanjay

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
The OC
DylanDeanDesign said:
Not to mention a broke ass Photographer. I quit racing a few years ago since i was becoming broke going to all the races, then i had this "brilliant" idea to become a mtb photographer which would "pay my way" to all of the races. What was I THINKING!?!?! Now i'm even more broke! I think i'm gonna quit shooting photo & become a racer again...to "recoup" some of my losses! haha
Its cool i heard camelback is hookin sven up now. hes doin ads for em or something. And hes not behind the camera. Ladder hucks with backpacks are the south african way.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004

**BONUS**
I've just talked to Doug Heiser from DHRacers.com & the Turner/Honda Team. It turns out, they too are setting up another auction/raffle at Hennessey's Tavern (in Dana Point, CA) on Thurs, SEPT 22.

In order not to get the "Sven Recovery Funds" too out of hand, we've decided to join forces by counting the raffle tickets as a 2 for 1! What this means is that if you buy tickets for the Mammoth raffle, any ticket that doesn't win can be used at the raffle at Hennessey's the following week!

Although the Mammoth Raffle will close at the following times:
  • MAIL - Wednesday, Sept 14
  • PAYPAL - Friday, Sept 16
The PAYPAL service will remain open until the date of the Hennessey's Raffle in order to collect additional Raffle ticket purchases (date/time subject to change)

Stay Tuned for more info as it becomes available!

If you have any questions, please feel free to conact me at jdd@dylandeandesigns.com

Please note: The winner of any raffle prize must pay for all shipping charges (unless they are present at the raffle). Please remember this is a NON-profit raffle/auction.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Pretty sweet! Cant wait till Mammoth! anything else gunna be happening during the auction/raffle in dana point? Like movie premire or anything? My hopes go out to Sven!