Quantcast

SW Colorad-bro's monkeys, lend me your ears and wisdomz

gonefirefightin

free wieners
After getting back from my 9/11 speech in Germany I am planning to hit up the SW colorado area for some late season wheeling and exploration.

Specifically, this area and surrounding tidbits if there are any worth exploring.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.55.11 AM.png

Found some RV parks in and around Ouray, Silverton, and a few surrounding areas but checking if any of you locals know of any others that may be worth looking into.

Also planning on doing the local trails such as Imogen, Black bear, Ophir etc, anybody know of any other fun and cool trips around the area?

Oh and good food/eateries I should be looking into.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sorry, no wisdom to be found among any of us.

But you should definitely take your bro-dozer to any of those places you've already mentioned. Shenanigan's can be found in abundance. Be prepared, depending on how winter shapes up, September can be pretty dangerous in a lot of that country. Bring your long undies and someone you aren't too attached to to use as spare heat/food if needed.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
when you calculate peoples’ caloric content remember that silicone == 0 calories/gram in the equation

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Sorry, no wisdom to be found among any of us.
I was prepared for the lack of wisdomz but tried to be polite at least.

I think we all know what you need to do on Handie’s Peak.
1661734849079.png

when you calculate peoples’ caloric content remember that silicone == 0 calories/gram in the equation
But it does fair well for protection during a rollover and doubles as a floatation device

Silverton to Stony Pass to Beartown, then down to Rio Grand Res then over to Lake City. Return via Cinnamon or Engineer.
I like where this is going.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Couple of good resources for info on that area. The Alpine Loop (Cinnamon + Engineer) is always a popular trip and moderately technical. Poughkeepsie Gulch is also popular and a good test of driver skill. Yankee Boy Basin is a pretty drive though not particularly difficult. Definitely no shortage of good trails in and around there.

Molas Lake Campground is a pretty place to stay, though not sure how bus compatible it is.

crop1emboss.jpg

Last edited:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I did some wheeling many moons ago around Silverton. I’d have to look at the map to see what trails we did. 550 Ouray to Silverton is turbo neat. Might be pretty tight in the bus, but I’m sure you can slip your unit in.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
COTREX is a good resource for the lay of the land.

The Alpine loop is very popular with the OHV crowd..

Stony pass is definitely a nice drive that accesses some pretty remote territory. I was going to recommend cruising into Creede and eating at the Blue Moose, which was excellent, but apparently it is no more.

Restaurants in Telluride are pretty underwhelming for the cost.. Brown Dog is pretty great thou.