Quantcast

Swagman Jack Knife rack

gretch

Chimp
Feb 15, 2013
Nelson, B.C.
Well, I don't think aerodynamics are the main goal of the Jackknife.... its a good design.. no frame contact and it will hold 4 DH bikes... I know the engineer who designed the rack and it is based on the short lived Arbutus rack design. I have one on order and they should be available in early May according to Swagman.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
I was wondering if this was the newest incarnation of the arbutus and must say I am let down.. Honestly the original configuration worked better. Arbutus NS and ratte racks have all proved that..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Swagman tried to tell me there was the same wind resistance in the Jack Knife rack as the Arbutus...

I'm sorry but 4 bikes sideways is going to have way more drag than 4 bikes straight on.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Swagman tried to tell me there was the same wind resistance in the Jack Knife rack as the Arbutus...

I'm sorry but 4 bikes sideways is going to have way more drag than 4 bikes straight on.
Nice bike...

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR

Not only that but if you haven't got a wide vehicle the seats will stick out way past the sides of your vehicle then you have to explain why someone's mirror is hanging off your saddle instead of their car.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not only that but if you haven't got a wide vehicle the seats will stick out way past the sides of your vehicle then you have to explain why someone's mirror is hanging off your saddle instead of their car.
Its narrower than tray rack system, especially if you are carrying a DH bike with a long WB on a tray mount. Non-issue unless you drive a compact.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Gotta play devil's advocate here: Why not make a 4-5 bike one using a simple, everybody-sells-one hitch cargo basket as the base? I like my 3-bike Hollywood tray-type just fine for most uses but want something more 'shuttle-worthy' and am working up my plans right now to do just that.

Laugh if you want (I do at my first crude sketches) but this is my start. Just need to figure out the cocked-wheel (instead of straight shown) 'catchers' that will extend from the back of my Thule roof basket. Hoops on the hitch basket hold the bikes upright; front wheel 'trays' just velcro strap to hold wheel in tray:

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Gotta play devil's advocate here: Why not make a 4-5 bike one using a simple, everybody-sells-one hitch vargo basket as the base? I like my 3-bike Hollywood tray-type just fine for most uses but want something more 'shuttle-worthy' and am working up my plans right now to do just that.

Laugh if you want (I do at my first crude sketches) but this is my start. Just need to figure out the cocked-wheel (instead of straight shown) 'catchers' that will extend from the back of my Thule roof basket. Hoops on the hitch basket hold the bikes upright; front wheel 'trays' just velcro strap to hold wheel in tray:

I dig it. Only issue I see w/it is getting into the back of the vehicle on long trips.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I like the basket idea. You could even make the front wheel holders flip up so you could get the hatch open.
That was my thought exactly. Make it swing down to stops and pivot up on a crossbar like so (another simplistic sketch):

That seems like a pretty neat idea, albeit only applicable to a specific vehicle.
Thanks. It's an idea that's been brewing in my amateur-fabricator's head for a year or two now. I really think the idea is applicable to any 'wagon-like' vehicle - - wagon, SUV, Suburban, etc. - - and, of course, any of those with a roof rack or crossbars you could tie into.

Last edited: