Quantcast

swapping bb, discs, and headset

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i'm considering swapping frames on my street bike and need to move the bbracket and headset over to the new frame as well as put the rotors on a new wheelset. I'd like to do this myself to further my tech knowledge. Any special tools I should be aware of? Tips to un/re install parts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Have a shop do the headset. You need a special, expensive tool to do it right. While you're at it, you could have them do the BB too, but it's probably worth having the tool for it. While you're at the shop having them do the headset, pick up the BB tool. It'll only be about $10. Remember that the drive side cup is reverse threaded. You'll need a Torx T25 wrench for the rotor bolts (I'm assuming the rotors are 6 bolt).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
While you're at the shop, have them ream and face the head tube and BB shell. You could get the tools, but for the 2 or 3 times you'll use them they aren't worth the almost $600 price tag.
Yes. Do that for sure.

Jimmi707

Chimp
Oct 16, 2007
Brisvagus Ozland
attempted the same thing at home last week - at bro house who lives with an auto mechanic so plenty of standard tools. but bb definately require the right tools - particularly crank removal

but the headset replacement was extremely straight forward. it was an internal zero stack set. we put the new FSA "deep" cups in the freezer for a few hours before installation, braced the head tube with a wood sleeper, placed a rubber mullet flush on the cup then used a second hammer on that. half a dozen knocks each side and done!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
we put the new FSA "deep" cups in the freezer for a few hours before installation, braced the head tube with a wood sleeper, placed a rubber mullet flush on the cup then used a second hammer on that. half a dozen knocks each side and done!
That would have to be a seriously cold freezer to have a noticeable effect.