Quantcast

Sweeny Todd

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I saw Across the Universe last week, and it was an excellent musical. I just watched Hairspray with my 8 year old, and it was a bit painful at times, but good family fun. Even my ultra-baptist christian grandparents didn't have anything bad to say about it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I saw Across the Universe last week, and it was an excellent musical. I just watched Hairspray with my 8 year old, and it was a bit painful at times, but good family fun. Even my ultra-baptist christian grandparents didn't have anything bad to say about it.
Okay, Im ashamed to admit this, but I have seen "Across the Universe" because wife told me it was a "war movie" :disgust1:
...anyway, it was EMBARRASSINGLY bad. Probably, actually the worst actual movie I've ever seen. No kidding.
Do NOT see this film. Crappy vocalists spewing out Beatles songs into situations in which the simply do not fit, ridiculously bad DANCE numbers. God, Im getting mad just thinking about it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
WTF was the point of the musical?

Was the original musical intended for some reason other than the obvious gore and disgusting scenes?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
On my last flight back from taiwan everyone on the plane had that showing on their individual video screens. How could everyone stomach that crap - at that same time?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Okay, Im ashamed to admit this, but I have seen "Across the Universe" because wife told me it was a "war movie" :disgust1:
...anyway, it was EMBARRASSINGLY bad. Probably, actually the worst actual movie I've ever seen. No kidding.
Do NOT see this film. Crappy vocalists spewing out Beatles songs into situations in which the simply do not fit, ridiculously bad DANCE numbers. God, Im getting mad just thinking about it.
Dude, I was actually hypnotized by the awful pretense of the whole thing, and couldn't stop watching just to see how much worse they could possibly make it. Luckily, Netflix sent us a bad DVD which gave out right as a really laughable war moment began.

The most laughable part was that you could actually imagine the morons who conceived the thing congratulating one another as they thought of the next way to weave an obscure yet astoundingly forced Beatles reference into a hack scene.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
WTF was the point of the musical?

Was the original musical intended for some reason other than the obvious gore and disgusting scenes?
Yeah, it was intended for being ****in' awesome.

I saw the stage revival version at the ACT in San Fran right before we found out a movie was due to come out. It's set in the asylum and all the actors sing as they play their own instrument--very stripped down, and they rearrange the minimal scenery as the show progresses. Pretty awesome.

But Burton did the movie just about perfectly, IMHO. Since I'm tone-deaf, I can't complain about the singing, which seems to bother some people.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Just watched it last night, found it quite enjoyable. Love song to a straight razor? Mint. Beating Borats head in with a tea pot? Nice. Random throat slashings put to a jaunty little number? Great stuff, I might watch it again now that I think about it.