Quantcast

Sweet! Identity theft is the best!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I just got this letter: (I've had 5ish shares of Disney for like 15 years)

Dear sir or Madam:

BNY Mellon Shareowner Services provides stock transfer agency ... We maintain data regarding the shareholders of the issuers to whome we provide these services

On Febuary 27, 2008 our archive services vendor notified us that they could not account for one of several boxes of data back-up tapes that they were trasnporting for us to an off-site storage facility. ... We have now determined that one of more tapes in the missing box contained the following personal information about you: your name, postal address, social security number and share ownership information. We are writing to you on behalf of The Walt Disney Company and any other issuer of shares held by you for whome we maintained data on the missing tapes.

OK, first of all, who the FCUK uses backup tapes in 2008?! Second, how the fcuk do you lose that kind of information about so many people?!

At least I get 24 months of free credit monitoring :rolleyes:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
OK, first of all, who the FCUK uses backup tapes in 2008?! Second, how the fcuk do you lose that kind of information about so many people?!
I work at one of the nation's largest pharmacy retailers as a systems admin. You would be shocked at the volume of backup tapes that go in and out of our doors daily. Think pallets, crates and hand trucks, it's staggering. Sure, it all goes to VTL first but it eventually ends up on tape and off-site. When you're dealing with that much volume, an occasional misplaced carton of tapes isn't a stretch.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I ran the mainframe at a $29 bil company. We took tapes off site daily. We also had like 18 terabytes of storage, but backed up to tapes. It happens.

Bummer about the compromised data though.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I work for the state, our idea of a backup is to have someone hand copy the piece of paper :biggrin: