Quantcast

SWEET! I'm getting a MacBookPro!

BigMike said:
My mom needs a new laptop, so She's buying me a MacBookPro for graduation, and taking my old PowerBook.

I'm totally excited!
What kinda work will you be doing on the notebook? It's an awful powerful notebook just to be surfering the net and typing papers (if that's what you'll be doing) Must be really nice to have someone buy you a 1800-2700 dollar notebook. I think it would crazy to spend that big of chunk on a computer and not push it to the limits like the macbook pro is setup to do. Also, I'm jealous...I wish I had someone buy me one. HA

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I plan on doing photo work, probably getting a copy of aperature, doing some work in Final Cut Pro, VectorWorks, and some windoze stuff.

And....... Surfing the :monkey:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
jamasonbmbry said:
What kinda work will you be doing on the notebook? It's an awful powerful notebook just to be surfering the net and typing papers (if that's what you'll be doing) Must be really nice to have someone buy you a 1800-2700 dollar notebook. I think it would crazy to spend that big of chunk on a computer and not push it to the limits like the macbook pro is setup to do.
He's going to be modeling gene sequences in 3D :cool:

Who gives a ****?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jamasonbmbry said:
What kinda work will you be doing on the notebook? It's an awful powerful notebook just to be surfering the net and typing papers (if that's what you'll be doing) Must be really nice to have someone buy you a 1800-2700 dollar notebook. I think it would crazy to spend that big of chunk on a computer and not push it to the limits like the macbook pro is setup to do. Also, I'm jealous...I wish I had someone buy me one. HA
Mike, wouldn't you be happier if you spent your own money on a slower machine with an inferior OS?

:clue: :nonono:

Word of the day: surfering

BigMike said:
I plan on doing photo work, probably getting a copy of aperature, doing some work in Final Cut Pro, VectorWorks, and some windoze stuff.

And....... Surfing the :monkey:

VectorWorks? I'm seen the that mac is coming out with the aperature program. I haven't heard any things about anyone using it so I dont know how good it is. But, I believe it will be good if your doing photo shoots all day you can look at them easier through aperture, But if your wanting to do editing with the photo's it's best to use photoshop cs2 or older versions. Alot of people think they know photoshop but truely they only know about 2%-5% of what photoshop really can do, those people kill me, too (sorry if your in that category) Anyways, Final Cut Pro is a great program. I wish I knew how to work it. Looks really cool.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jamasonbmbry said:
VectorWorks? I'm seen the that mac is coming out with the aperature program. I haven't heard any things about anyone using it so I dont know how good it is. But, I believe it will be good if your doing photo shoots all day you can look at them easier through aperture, But if your wanting to do editing with the photo's it's best to use photoshop cs2 or older versions. Alot of people think they know photoshop but truely they only know about 2%-5% of what photoshop really can do, those people kill me, too (sorry if your in that category) Anyways, Final Cut Pro is a great program. I wish I knew how to work it. Looks really cool.

Vectorworks is a CAD program with some pretty advanced rendering.

I will also be running CS2, but Aperature is for viewing and useing RAW files. Its in addition to CS2. and yes, I am one of the people that knows about 5% of what Photoshop does, but i'm pretty good at that 5%! ;)

And I know about 30-40% of FCP, but I can do pretty well with it as well :)

BigMike said:
Vectorworks is a CAD program with some pretty advanced rendering.

I will also be running CS2, but Aperature is for viewing and useing RAW files. Its in addition to CS2. and yes, I am one of the people that knows about 5% of what Photoshop does, but i'm pretty good at that 5%! ;)

And I know about 30-40% of FCP, but I can do pretty well with it as well :)

Good, I'm just glad your not a rich guy that's getting one just be getting one. I hate that.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
jamasonbmbry said:
I don't, I'm just saying it's a waste if your not gonna do anything major with it. It's like getting a Demo 9 and barely riding it on dirt. It's crazy.
You're right. That's the craziest damn thing I've ever heard of. It's so crazy, it's loco.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jamasonbmbry said:
Good, I'm just glad your not a rich guy that's getting one just be getting one. I hate that.

Ha Ha HA! Me a rich guy! Thats funny!

This whole thing came about because my mom needs a new laptop. She wants a Powerbook because she is a teacher and they run all Mac stuff at her school. I was joking around a while ago and told her she does not need all the stuff a MBP can do (she'll be doing grades, internet, grading papers, writing papers, her cheapo digicam, ect.) and that she should buy me a MBP and I'd trade her my Powerbook.

She said no way, and I thought that was the end of it. Well, a few days ago she said that since she needs a new computer, she'll buy me the MacBookPro, and trade me my powerbook. Its a win win situation! I get a new computer, she gets a new computer, and she gets out of buying a computer AND a graduation gift, because she'd have to spend the money on a computer anyway :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jamasonbmbry said:
Why do you hate that?

Just because you're envious?

I don't understand hating people just because they make enough income to buy what they want. People work for their money. If they were fortunate enough to make a lot of money, they can afford expensive things - even if they don't use them to their full extent.

If I made a ton of money, I'd have a car that I couldn't drive as well as it should be driven, a camera that can take better pictures than I may ever take, and a Beowolf cluster that that will break 512-bit encryption in the time it takes to make myself a sandwich :p

Who cares?

BigMike said:
Ha Ha HA! Me a rich guy! Thats funny!

This whole thing came about because my mom needs a new laptop. She wants a Powerbook because she is a teacher and they run all Mac stuff at her school. I was joking around a while ago and told her she does not need all the stuff a MBP can do (she'll be doing grades, internet, grading papers, writing papers, her cheapo digicam, ect.) and that she should buy me a MBP and I'd trade her my Powerbook.

She said no way, and I thought that was the end of it. Well, a few days ago she said that since she needs a new computer, she'll buy me the MacBookPro, and trade me my powerbook. Its a win win situation! I get a new computer, she gets a new computer, and she gets out of buying a computer AND a graduation gift, because she'd have to spend the money on a computer anyway :)
Good, Lucky you then. I'm sure you'll love it. I'm thinking about getting the new iMac's. It's will be a couple months down the road tho.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jamasonbmbry said:
ok, everyone gang up on me for saying what I think. "Who cares?"
Yes! How dare people say what they think - only you should be allowed to do that! :clue:

It's a public message board. People are going to respond to your posts. You said what you thought, I responded. Welcome to Ridemonkey, and welcome to the internet :wave:

binary visions said:
Yes! How dare people say what they think - only you should be allowed to do that! :clue:

It's a public message board. People are going to respond to your posts. You said what you thought, I responded. Welcome to Ridemonkey, and welcome to the internet :wave:
thanks for the warm welcoming Buddy :nuts:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
You guys should see the computer I surf the net with (and type emails). I have three quad processor G5s clustered into a mini super computer with a terrabyte of RAM. I have it hooked up to dual 23 inch LCDs. It's the only machine that has ever satisfied my Web surfing needs. My mom said that as soon as the Intel Power Macs come out, she'll pay to have the entire setup upgraded! My mom roxorz!!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
helpful hints:

Apple makes computers called Macs. there is no company called "Mac" involved in this discussion and thus "I'm seen the that mac is coming out with the aperature program" makes no sense on multiple levels.

also, please note that Aperture has two Es, and one A. Mike, please take note of this :D

:nuts:

Toshi said:
helpful hints:

Apple makes computers called Macs. there is no company called "Mac" involved in this discussion and thus "I'm seen the that mac is coming out with the aperature program" makes no sense on multiple levels.

also, please note that Aperture has two Es, and one A. Mike, please take note of this :D

I'm sorry but that comment came outta nowhere. ? :confused:
Sorry

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Toshi said:
helpful hints:

You seem really upset.

Do you want a kleenex?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
H8R said:
Yeah, I'll take that back. I've only used VW, so I can't compare the two, but drafting is in the family (Dad's a engineer, sister's a professional drafter), and they favor VW for anything to do with blueprints. I trust their opinion.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
kinghami3 said:
Yeah, I'll take that back. I've only used VW, so I can't compare the two, but drafting is in the family (Dad's a engineer, sister's a professional drafter), and they favor VW for anything to do with blueprints. I trust their opinion.
It's "ok" at best. Very frustrating interface if you ask me.

It's been several years since I've used it though. It may be better now. I learned Autocad and VW at the same time, and VW just seemed retarded in comparison. I let it go after a couple months.