Quantcast

Sweet Mega Littervalanche - Mike West in Peru

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
So is there a whole Mega Avalance series of races ran by the same promoter?

Is there a website that lays out the specifics for all of these races? Or is each race held on its own?

Bueller?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
the two i have been to are ran by the same organizer, not sure bout specific promoters in each area...it is a lot of fun for sure....but there is a big difference between the one in France and the one in Reunion Island i went to.

we had a blast in reunion but it was more like a vacation small turn out 1 run per day...the shuttle is the car sick champion of the world!

the one in France is one of the bets races i have ever been to....you ride all day on epic trails int he French Alps!

not sure bout the one in Peru, but one of the reason's i decided to pass was the thought of first aid....you can get into a bad situation getting hurt badly in an area like that.

flowtron

Chimp
Aug 21, 2006
Denver
West is an animal. He did some silly stuff in Semi Pro DH last season on that freaking ML8.
He can podium in pro XC, then crush the Super D, then make most of us look silly in Semi DH. Busy, talented dood.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I would love to do that race sometime. Looks like a giant mess, but so much fun haha

Probably still more organized than the Sea Otter. =P

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
West is an animal. He did some silly stuff in Semi Pro DH last season on that freaking ML8.
He can podium in pro XC, then crush the Super D, then make most of us look silly in Semi DH. Busy, talented dood.
Cool. He doesn't look like a spring a chicken either. I too enjoyed littermag.com today. Good job Spomer:)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've already been saving $$$ to go to Peru in 2009 but I think that just made me change my mind. Sounds like the one in France may be a better bet.

I'd hate to break a leg out there in the middle of nowhere with only some sketchy ambulance and a hut with a dirt floor to get you situated. :shocked:

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
If you get a good outfitter you should have no problem. Cannot do it on your own. I was there this year and rode for 10 days and was great. My best MTB experience so far!

Some videos of the race:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ive been there, its an incredible place for a race, the course itself i think had a bit too many road crossings and i think they really screwed up by doing a format where the winner isnt necessarily the one who comes first down the mountain (one of the points of the whole mass start thing IMO) and yes the first aid is iffy.
then again, its in the friggin sacred valley, the course is huge, its something everyone should experience.
i would actually just skip the whole packet, its all to french to me, and instead rent something closer to the race venue, dirt cheap hostels in ollantaytambo and hook up with the locals/rent a truck to shuttle on your own, otherwise you end up in an european bubble, plus if you have your own truck you can just bypass all first aid fears and get your injured azz off to cuzco where you have much better equipped facilities.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
At the start of the race it sounds like your are being chased by a herd of cattle. Its all you can do to avoid crashes and not crash yourself. The medical support there is very shady. That was one worry i had but decided to take the chance anyway. I did the tour with Inkasadventure which was great. We rode all over the Sacred Valley and outside Lima for 10 days before the race. The trails in Peru are second to none and the descents are never ending. Wayo, the guy that runs the tour is a shredder and a nice guy to show you around. I do agree that there are to many road crossings on the course. The guys with the big chain rings and lighter bikes definitely opened up the gap on the road sections. Extending seat post is nice to have also. Before the race i thought extending seat posts were gay but now I'm sold. Filip Polc won the race on his 4X rig if that tells you anything. Mike West is a shredder for sure. I'm looking foreword to next year. Try to train in the elevation if you can. The course starts at 15,000 feet.