Quantcast

Sweet mother of christ you have GOT to be kidding me...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
New Technology May Force TV Ad Viewing
Apr 19 9:51 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By MAY WONG
AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif.

In this era of easy ad skipping with TiVo-like video recorders, could television viewers one day be forced to watch commercials with a system that prevents channel switching?

Yes, according to Royal Philips Electronics. A patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office says researchers of the Netherland-based consumer electronics company have created a technology that could let broadcasters freeze a channel during a commercial, so viewers wouldn't be able to avoid it.

The pending patent, published on March 30, says the feature would be implemented on a program-by-program basis. Devices that could carry the technology would be a television or a set-top-box.

Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters a fee.

On Wednesday, company officials issued a statement that noted the technology also enables the opposite: allowing viewers to watch television without advertising. The intention was never to force viewers to watch ads against their will, the company said of the technology.

"We developed a system where the viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads," the company stated. "It is up to the viewer to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various services."

The company also said it had no plans to use the technology in any of its products.

Philips wanted to provide the technology and seek the patent only as part of the broader developments within the industry, Philips spokesman Andre Manning said.

if this is true i will SOOOOOOOOOO cut off my g'damn f'ing cable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, obviously this is a function built into the television or the digital tuner box, and you bet I will never purchase a TV with this function built in.

If this becomes a widespread thing, I guess I'll be living with my 27" Sony tube TV for a long, long time...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
lawyers.
yeah, they'll help out.

like the commercial i saw this morning about some attorney starting a class action suit against a drug manufacturer.

it went something like this.
"if you have parkinsons disease and have taken medication to control your tremors, and have developed a compulsive gambling disorder. you may be entitled to a settlement."

that's just one of a billion reasons to channel surf.
when i have time to sit and watch that tube, i always look for two shows to watch at the same time. the commercial breaks are always soooooo long that you can easily follow two shows at once.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nothing like creating an invention to counteract the benefits of another invention. Then someone will invent something to disable the blocking device.... Why not just ban Ti-Vo; save a lot of trouble, no?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
binary visions said:
Well, obviously this is a function built into the television or the digital tuner box, and you bet I will never purchase a TV with this function built in.

If this becomes a widespread thing, I guess I'll be living with my 27" Sony tube TV for a long, long time...
:stupid:

I'm sure a hack or mod wouldn't be far behind, either. :evil:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My boss told me this story:

Right out of college, he interviewed with a company with a very generic name which eventually was called Tivo.

At that time though, Tivo kept what they were doing very secret, and my boss had no idea what they were doing. Anyway, during the interview, the interviewers popped this question: What would you do to improve television?

My boss's answer:

"Turn it off."

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BigMike said:
That will NEVER fly. Kind of like the Sony thing where you can only use a CD or game in one device........ ever. People will just simply NOT buy it

I agree, there is no way people will stand for something like this. I don't think that it will stop companies from trying, but it won't work...

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
sanjuro said:

Right out of college, he interviewed with a company with a very generic name which eventually was called Tivo.

At that time though, Tivo kept what they were doing very secret, and my boss had no idea what they were doing. Anyway, during the interview, the interviewers popped this question: What would you do to improve television?

My boss's answer:

"Turn it off."
Exactly. Sounds like a smart man.

Jon.

L

luelling

sanjuro said:

My boss's answer:

"Turn it off."
Thats awsome...I take it he didn't get the job? I had a friend that for his senior project in our software engineering degree he built and wrote the software for his own Tivo box. It was pretty bare bones, but cool none the less.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
New Technology May Force TV Ad Viewing
Apr 19 9:51 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By MAY WONG
AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif.

In this era of easy ad skipping with TiVo-like video recorders, could television viewers one day be forced to watch commercials with a system that prevents channel switching?

Yes, according to Royal Philips Electronics. A patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office says researchers of the Netherland-based consumer electronics company have created a technology that could let broadcasters freeze a channel during a commercial, so viewers wouldn't be able to avoid it.

The pending patent, published on March 30, says the feature would be implemented on a program-by-program basis. Devices that could carry the technology would be a television or a set-top-box.

Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters a fee.

On Wednesday, company officials issued a statement that noted the technology also enables the opposite: allowing viewers to watch television without advertising. The intention was never to force viewers to watch ads against their will, the company said of the technology.

"We developed a system where the viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads," the company stated. "It is up to the viewer to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various services."

The company also said it had no plans to use the technology in any of its products.

Philips wanted to provide the technology and seek the patent only as part of the broader developments within the industry, Philips spokesman Andre Manning said.

... so I guess this means I'm gonna have to resort to using a .44 to change the "channel" and my TV...

...apparently it would seem that Elvis was ahead of his time.

"The intention was never to force viewers to watch ads against their will, the company said of the technology. "

What a load of horsesh!t. :mad:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
luelling said:
Thats awsome...I take it he didn't get the job? I had a friend that for his senior project in our software engineering degree he built and wrote the software for his own Tivo box. It was pretty bare bones, but cool none the less.
Suffice to say, he was shown the door.

He is a very smart guy, and I like to describe him as the angriest nice guy I know. He is very "passionate" about his work, and can be extremely argumentative, particularily with jerks, but would never yell at his co-workers or underlings. With them, he is extremely nice.

Suffice to say, he and I get along fabulously...

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
Suffice to say, he was shown the door.

He is a very smart guy, and I like to describe him as the angriest nice guy I know. He is very "passionate" about his work, and can be extremely argumentative, particularily with jerks, but would never yell at his co-workers or underlings. With them, he is extremely nice.

Suffice to say, he and I get along fabulously...
You just can't talk to him about the chicks he has dated, eh??? Or is that the other boss??? You have too many bosses.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
You just can't talk to him about the chicks he has dated, eh??? Or is that the other boss??? You have too many bosses.
bike shop: 1 boss
computer job: 1 direct report, 1 person managing an umbrella organization, another manager which my group is assigned

edit: the umbrella boss also has 3 direct reports, all the way to the ceo.