Quantcast

Swift Run Gap Death March: Warning Road Ride Content

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tis the time of year when I like up the intensity/length of my rides. After putting in a goot 3.5 hours of mountain biking on Saturday I figured a good road century would be in order. I couldn't convince any one to go with me so there would be no hiding from the wind, I had to earn every mile. Maybe I should stop referring to them as death marches.

I started off from my house and took backroads through the foothills to get to Rte 33 for the big climb up to Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National park. Luck was on my side today as at the base of the climb there was a roach coach selling hotdogs. After 25 miles of rolling hills it was the best hot dog I ever had. I would have bought more if I didn't think I puke it up on the 2000+ ft climb. The climb went well, I was hitting speeds that I normally struggle with but felt very comfortable doing it. Once on Skyline I rode south for 40 miles and popped off the mountain to head home in the valley.

I was taking it easy as I wasn't sure how well I could handle such a long ride solo. At the 85 mile mark I was still feeling fresh so I put the hammer down till the end. This has never happened to me before but it seems I took it a little too easy as when I got home I still felt good. Usually I want to die an hour or so before I make it back. All in all did 110 miles, 6.5 hours of riding, 11,000 ft of climbing. Ate 3 bananas, 4 oatmeal bars, 2 flasks of Hammer gel, 1 Hersheys chocolate bar. 2 bags of Combos, a hot dog, small peperoni stick, 1 cheese stick and about 130 oz of fluids. Some pictures from along the way. Used my old camera and it was full of condensed sweat so they suck.

Hillbilly mansion. I love this place, it has all the nice touches: Laundry, applianes on the front porch, sattelite dish and generally crappy. A nice bit of reality amid all the McMansions.

Looking back down at the valley I rode up.

AT trailhead

Met this lady who was riding 300+ miles down to North Carolina.

Looking down at Sugar Hollow Resevoir

The long winding road ahead

Just a few miles from home, looking back up at the mountains.

The damages.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You are making me regret my time spent in dark sh!tty clubs in DC when I lived in VA.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Nice one Westy! That is a great loop for a century. Did you come back through Crozet & Earlysville?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mud'n'sweat said:
Nice one Westy! That is a great loop for a century. Did you come back through Crozet & Earlysville?
Yep. Started in Barboursville->Earlysville->Dyke->Up 33 to Skyline->Afton
->Crozet->White Hall->Earlysville->Barbourseville

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Westy. We need to hook up for one of those sometime. Maybe after Lodi, I'll feel that I have my legs back a bit. I shuttled on Saturday on the big bike, so not working out much more than my confidence (that got put down and stepped on and then invigorated). Hit the trails at Patapsco on the SS yesterday and finally started clearing the doubles. As I am not a jumper, this was a big deal. I left feeling that I had not only gotten in a great workout, but also gained even more confidence.

A few rides in the evenings this week and I should be good for Lodi. It looks like we're going Duo, but I'll see you there. You can use our place / stuff if you need and support and my wife will be joining in the morning. (Granted it's only 12 hours)

Your ride sounds cool. I'd love to go ride it sometime.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
Westy. We need to hook up for one of those sometime. Maybe after Lodi, I'll feel that I have my legs back a bit. I shuttled on Saturday on the big bike, so not working out much more than my confidence (that got put down and stepped on and then invigorated). Hit the trails at Patapsco on the SS yesterday and finally started clearing the doubles. As I am not a jumper, this was a big deal. I left feeling that I had not only gotten in a great workout, but also gained even more confidence.

A few rides in the evenings this week and I should be good for Lodi. It looks like we're going Duo, but I'll see you there. You can use our place / stuff if you need and support and my wife will be joining in the morning. (Granted it's only 12 hours)
Your ride sounds cool. I'd love to go ride it sometime.

Just let me know when you want to ride. There are some better loops north of Swift Run Gap and south of Afton but this one is nice as it is the easiest to do from my front door.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

I saw this house on my way to Massanutten this weekend and had a good laugh. That is one hell of a climb up to Skyline Drive. The old truck was loaded with riding / camping gear and bogged down real bad. I think I ended up cresting the hill in 2nd gear. More power to you for climbing it on your bike much less completing the century +.

Dang.