Quantcast

Swimmers???

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Anyone else out there into swimming?

In light of my knee problem, I have decided to take up swimming until it heals. I have some questions that I would like to run by someone since I don't know any swimmers.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
golgiaparatus said:
I had 18 years of competitive swimming at the highest level when I retired. What do you need to know?
I'll field this one.

Heidi: when in doubt, the 2-piece suit is always the better choice. Any other questions?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
girlfriend runs the swim team her at WWU, been swimming since she was 5 and lifeguarding for several years now, I can run a question by her if you'd like heidi

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Heidi said:
Anyone else out there into swimming?

In light of my knee problem, I have decided to take up swimming until it heals. I have some questions that I would like to run by someone since I don't know any swimmers.
just to add some useful info :)

depending on your knee injury breast stroke is no good idea.
to minimize stress on the lingaments use swimming styles which don't stress your knee sideways (backstroke, freestyle....)

btw swimming helped me a lot to recover from knee injuries!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow - thanks for the response!
Basically, I need to know what kind of mph I could expect as a beginner. I don't even know what lane to pick for group swim.

I have a tendency to push myself very hard...what would a typical beginner swimmer session be if I'm doing laps? 30 min...2 hours? I basically just want a good cardio workout since I'm not riding much.

The breaststroke is just the regular swim stroke right? I just have soft tissue injury, no ligaments or tendons supposedly...just swollen bursas so I think i'm good to go with the breaststroke.

As for the suit...yah, I have to go try to buy one this weekend. Apparently they require one at the club. Pffft.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Heidi said:
Basically, I need to know what kind of mph I could expect as a beginner. I don't even know what lane to pick for group swim.

I have a tendency to push myself very hard...what would a typical beginner swimmer session be if I'm doing laps? 30 min...2 hours? I basically just want a good cardio workout since I'm not riding much.

The breaststroke is just the regular swim stroke right? I just have soft tissue injury, no ligaments or tendons supposedly...just swollen bursas so I think i'm good to go with the breaststroke.

As for the suit...yah, I have to go try to buy one this weekend. Apparently they require one at the club. Pffft.
"MPH" bwahahaha maybe 0.5???? Seriously though I think 1000m in 30 mins is reasonable...I'm starting triathlon so I've been dabbling in the pool a bit. Personally I hate swimming, humans are land mammals not fish. Anyways it's a great cardio workout just be pasiant it takes a long time to get a perfect stroke.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Heidi said:
Freestyle is probably what you are thinking about.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Heidi said:

I use to do about 7000 meters in a given 2 hour workout (twice a day). Thats mostly doing intervals. I wasnt a distance swimmer, those crazy bastards would average about 7000 yards in the AM and 9000 yards in the PM.

It'd be pretty good if a total beginner (that could still swim fairly well) could get out in the pool and do 2500 meters in 1 hour. Id say just swim a slow moderate pace for an hour for the next few workouts so you can develop a feel for the water, make sure you are rolling onto your side for each stroke (hips too, not just shoulders) and following through at your hips right as you are turning you body to the other side for the next stroke. Dont worry about how fast you are going just yet. After a few sessions like this you will begin to feel the water in your hand and you will begin to get more efficient. Once you feel comfortable you should try getting your strength up maybe swim without stopping at a harder pace for 30 min and then start timing yourself, doing 100-200 meters/yards at a hard fast pace with about 10-15 seconds rest between. Make sure you time yourself so you know what you are capable of... that way the next time you can say that you should be doing, for instance, 10 x 200's on the 2:30 getting about 10-15 seconds rest a piece... as you get faster decrease the time you give yourself to complete each 200 yard swim.

I dont know thats what I'd have you do If I was coaching you as a beginner. i.e. develop your feel, guage your capabilities, then challenge you so you could maintain your fitness level.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a go...I have terrible form and have kind of made up my own freestyle stroke. :) It is inefficient as hell though.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
laura said:
somebody here was a swimmer in college. i think t was golgiaperatus. (i can't spell that word)

swimmer here as well....for 22 years competitively (since 6 and still going)

Heidi said:
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a go...I have terrible form and have kind of made up my own freestyle stroke. :) It is inefficient as hell though.
one thing you might try is see if there are any local masters programs (for those older than college) and see if a coach will give you a quick look and a few pointers. another thing is watch some of the local competitive programs, epecially if you are a visual learner.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:
So is there going to be a Tri-atalon in the future ?
No, running has been banned by my doctors...that's what started my knee pain years ago. :( I really wish I could though.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
It's my understanding that swimming is the only exercise that strengthens and stretchs your muscles all at the same time. All at zero impact too. Look at competitive swimmers and compare how supple their musclulature is to other athletes.

I have a bad back with a compressed disk at C5-6. The backstroke makes it feel soo good!! It strengthens the shoulder muscles and balances the tight chest I get from mountian biking that is pulling everything out of whack.

Mike

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
What Golgi said is really good advice. Don't worry so much about speed as about getting a feel for the water and gliding smoothly. I swim/play water polo for my high school.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
I think I recall reading that you were in Bend. If that is the case, you should check out the masters program at the Juniper Fitness Center. They have a great coach and a great program. The backgrounds of the swimmers ranges from beginners up to a couple of national age-group long distance champions and a couple of professional triathletes. The link for the program is here:

Central Oregon Masters

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh all good advice. golgi deffinatly knows his stuff. just focus on form when you first start. also dont rotate your legs rotate just the torso (hips to bottome of neck). your legs and head should stay stachionary and make each strock count, stretch them out and pull as much water back as you can. Also its not totally a zero impact sport because of turns and starts do put alot of stress on the knees if your not carefull with them. also stretch and be mindfull of your shoulders. shoulder injuries are by far the most common in our sport.

something else you might want to consider instead of doing 10x200's is 10x100's just to start out or even 5x100 and spreading out your sets instead of giving it to you in one big set. it will keep your moral up if you keep making each smaller set at the same pase and give you the little extra rest a begginer needs. also instead of just talking to the masters coach maybee consider joining them. those guys know there stuff and will really help you with swimming and with all your problems. good luck and stick with it once you've been sucked in theres no escaping.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Monk said:
I think I recall reading that you were in Bend. If that is the case, you should check out the masters program at the Juniper Fitness Center. They have a great coach and a great program. The backgrounds of the swimmers ranges from beginners up to a couple of national age-group long distance champions and a couple of professional triathletes. The link for the program is here:

Central Oregon Masters
Yep, Juniper's my pool. I'm not looking to be competitve or anything, just something to do while my knee heals. I'm not even sure I could be a masters...am I old enough?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
me89 said:
yeh all good advice. golgi deffinatly knows his stuff. just focus on form when you first start. also dont rotate your legs rotate just the torso (hips to bottome of neck). your legs and head should stay stachionary and make each strock count, stretch them out and pull as much water back as you can. Also its not totally a zero impact sport because of turns and starts do put alot of stress on the knees if your not carefull with them. also stretch and be mindfull of your shoulders. shoulder injuries are by far the most common in our sport.

something else you might want to consider instead of doing 10x200's is 10x100's just to start out or even 5x100 and spreading out your sets instead of giving it to you in one big set. it will keep your moral up if you keep making each smaller set at the same pase and give you the little extra rest a begginer needs. also instead of just talking to the masters coach maybee consider joining them. those guys know there stuff and will really help you with swimming and with all your problems. good luck and stick with it once you've been sucked in theres no escaping.
The feet roll too, everything rolls except head (untill you breathe)... just not as much... well, depends on kick too. They roll like crazy during a 2 beat kick (kick is actually part of the roll), a little harder to notice them rolling during a 6 beat kick because your feet are hauling so much ass and the roll is slight, but they should still roll.

Heidi will probably be doing 10-15 x 50s to start. A 200 is a long way to a total beginner with a horrible stroke, not to mention 10 of them in a row.

HEIDI: you will be able to guage how much fitness you are getting out of whatever distance. Your stroke might be so bad that a 100 takes you 4:00 and have your heart bumping at 185. If that is the case (and I'm sure that example will be a large exaggeration) then just do that over and over again with 30-1:00 rest... Dont kill yourself going for distance, speed, or whatever :nope: At first just concentrate on cardio, thats what your going for after all right?

The masters program is the best idea yet BTW. You could probably work out a deal where you are a member for 3 months (or whatever your recovery time is expected to be) for very cheap.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
Sure, you are old enough. There are a couple of kids (kids? I am sounding old now) just out of college that show up fairly often.

Swimming as a form of excercise can be a little dull. Swimming by yourself can be very dull. Training with a group provides a little structure, competition and motivation to stay with it. Also, the coaching staff can help with form and technique so you are not flailing around in the water.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
golgiaparatus said:
HEIDI: you will be able to guage how much fitness you are getting out of whatever distance. Your stroke might be so bad that a 100 takes you 4:00 and have your heart bumping at 185. If that is the case (and I'm sure that example will be a large exaggeration) then just do that over and over again with 30-1:00 rest... Dont kill yourself going for distance, speed, or whatever :nope: At first just concentrate on cardio, thats what your going for after all right?

The masters program is the best idea yet BTW. You could probably work out a deal where you are a member for 3 months (or whatever your recovery time is expected to be) for very cheap.
Yes, I'll look into the masters. They have coached practices at my pool every morning and that would be nice to take advantage of. Who knows, maybe I'll love swimmiing so much that I'll start getting competitve at it! I am totally just in it for extra cardio...I can ride 2 weekdays and one day on the weekend but I have to give my knee time for the inflamation to go down in between. I am addicted to cardio so I need something to fill the rideless gaps.

Should I wear earplugs? I remember when I was little, I would get a lot of earahces from swimming.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Heidi said:
Yes, I'll look into the masters. They have coached practices at my pool every morning and that would be nice to take advantage of. Who knows, maybe I'll love swimmiing so much that I'll start getting competitve at it! I am totally just in it for extra cardio...I can ride 2 weekdays and one day on the weekend but I have to give my knee time for the inflamation to go down in between. I am addicted to cardio so I need something to fill the rideless gaps.

Should I wear earplugs? I remember when I was little, I would get a lot of earahces from swimming.
I never did, but maybe you have a chronic earinfection problem. Had a distance swimmer buddy in college who swore by the little plunger kind.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey just saw this thread...

I think swimming is an intensely mental sport. You might get bored underwater, so be prepared to think...a lot. Also, it will be useful to you to set goals. In other words, rather than wanting to get 2000 yrds done in an hour, set about doing 5x100's, or 10x50's, or some other small goal. If you get done with that, set another goal. Swimming for 2000yds straight is gonna be really hard if not impossible, and if your stroke isn't good yet, you'll get tired fast.

About the ear infections- it certainly is possible to get ear infections even at your age, but generally if you had bad ears when you were a kid they go away. As you grow up, your ears drop and the canals straighten out. When you're young, they tend to point up a little and it traps water. Just be sure to shake the water out and you'll be fine.

Big tip that will help immensely- breathe in 3's. For a beginner, you may not realize this. If you breathe in odd numbers, you force yourself into a better stroke as you can't wiggle as much. You also reduce shoulder strain and injuries as you aren't overpowering one arm.

Tip2- Your turns don't need to be pefect, but being able to turn at all will help your rythm immensly. Since you aren't racing, you don't need to be fast off the wall, but if you have to stop and turn around out of the water, you'll slow down quite a bit. It also annoys swimmers in your lane.

Tip3- Swimming to me is a lot about rythm. Try to get your stroke into a good rythm, and don't lose it in the turns. The more you struggle, the more your body gets out of sync, and this slows you down. 1-2-3-breathe-1-2-3-breathe, kicking in between. You'll stop thinking about what you're doing and just do it.

Tip4- Breathe, dammit! A lot of people getting into swimming don't know how to deal with water. Excersize on land is a lot different...you can inhale whenever you need to. Underwater poses a challenge. The best thing to do is to exhale the entire time you're underwater...if you don't, when you rotate to breathe, you'll have to exhale then inhale after. This lowers the amount of 02 you actually get when you're up there, since you spend part of the time above water exhaling. Breathe out through your nose, when you get up, inhale as long as you can...this will help keep water out of your nose too.

Lastly, a good way to a better stroke is to keep your body as straight as possible. When you rotate, rotate your entire body to the side and back down. There may be better ways of doing it, but if you don't, you'll find your hips will start to wiggle and your stroke will get all out of wack.

If you want a better stroke, there are two drills my coach used to tell us. One is to drag your fingertips on the water as you reach forward. This forces you to keep your shoulder low and spend less energy reaching up. Number two is to reach with one arm, then reach the other arm to it before bringing it down. Essentially your stroke will be interrupted, but you'll learn to stretch out more and you'll focus on how your one arm should go through the water, rather than on moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Thanks all, I've been swimming regularly now three mornings a week. I am happily at a mile now, but will keep increasing because this is "easy" for me now. I think my stroke is ok, but not great. My hips drop occassionaly and I can only get breathing down on one side...when I turn my head to the left.

I'm taking a clinic later this week, so it will be nice to have someone go over what I'm doing wrong, and give me some pointers.

Mentally, I don't have a problem with long distances...after all, I have ridden my bike for long hours solo quite often. I find myself focusing on things like counting my strokes in a lap, or "snapping" my hips around as my body rolls....it's so much about technique that I get all geeked out. :)

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
just remember when your hips start dropping you need to pick up on your kick a little bit more. the more kick you have the faster you will go with less effort and the flatter you will sit on the water. ohh and yeh what the g dude said(sorry couldnt spell your name) about roating. all will rotate except for your feet its just not as noticable as your torso. get up on your side and really make your strocks count. hope you have fun with it. :thumb: