Quantcast

Swimming Distance Q

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm training for a mini tri in June and for once I'm going to train for the swim. Usually I just get in the water and go, but I want to be a little more competive this year.

Anyway......the swim in a shorty, .5 mile. Does anyone know how many laps that is in a regulation size pool?

Thanks, Snacks :)

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
well, it really depends on the pool (been a competitive swimmer for 21 of my 27 years of existence- sorry- and in my 4th year of tris)

olympic pools are 50 meters per length (one time across the pool, NOT down n back- had to clarify this for myself- never referred to it that way!)
most other pools are 25 yards per length.

a true mile in the yards (aka short course) pool is somewhere around 70 lengths, or 10 yards shy of a true mile (1760 yards)

a mile in a meters pool (aka long course) is a metric mile, or 1500 meters (exactly 30 lengths)

so, if you're trainning for sprint tri's, see if you can be strong for about 40 lengths in a yards/shourt course pool so that you have that extra little bit.

oh- other tri advice- make sure that the day of the tri is NOT your 1st time in rough water- not a good way to learn.

wow- my first time over to this section of the board and its full of tri stuff- note to self- come back more often!

PM me with questions- Golgiaparatus is also a good source for swimmer knowledge.