Quantcast

Swinger 6-way top out

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Has anyone else had issues with their Swinger topping out in the last 1mm or so of travel? The rebound works perfect through the entire stroke except for that last little bit. I called the guys at Answer, and they had never heard of it, but my buddy says he has. I know it's not air in the damper system, as the shock is fresh off a rebuild (hasn't even been on a ride yet). Also, when you shake the shock (I did so in a fit of rage when I first took the shock off the bike after realizing there was something wrong), there's a rattling noise coming from inside the shock - almost like there's a little rock or something that's banging around inside. I'm tempted to take it apart and see what's going on inside that might cause the problem.

BTW, Answer hooked me up with a new shock as a replacement, so props to them and their awesome CS. I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
dhkid said:
:stupid: could be bubbles, or something is really wrong. get it rebuilt by a proper guy?? :dancing:
The guys at Answer rebuilt it, so I'm assuming yes.

I never had a problem with the Swinger on my Giant DH, just this particular shock.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Radarr said:
Has anyone else had issues with their Swinger topping out in the last 1mm or so of travel? The rebound works perfect through the entire stroke except for that last little bit. I called the guys at Answer, and they had never heard of it, but my buddy says he has. I know it's not air in the damper system, as the shock is fresh off a rebuild (hasn't even been on a ride yet). Also, when you shake the shock (I did so in a fit of rage when I first took the shock off the bike after realizing there was something wrong), there's a rattling noise coming from inside the shock - almost like there's a little rock or something that's banging around inside. I'm tempted to take it apart and see what's going on inside that might cause the problem.

BTW, Answer hooked me up with a new shock as a replacement, so props to them and their awesome CS. I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

I too have experienced this same problem with my swinger 6-way.
( 2.0 inch stoke model). My issue differs slightly in that the shock not only "tops out" in the last mm or so of travel, but also sustains a "loose" feeling sometimes, i.e. feels as if there is no rebound or compression dampening whatsoever, merely a spring and a freemoving shaft, almost as if there is no oil in the shock body. What is most disconcerting, is that this problem only happens after the shock has been compressed for say ten minutes, not neccesarily after hard use, just after sitting on the bike, and its 10%sag.

I was recently at my local LBS :roll:, and asked one fellow to have a look at it. His analogy was that the swinger series of rear suspension run a stack of O-rings, and that when she shock bottoms out or is compressed extremely quickly, one or more of these O-rings can become displaced, causing the feeling. That doesn't sound right to me, as I feel it is more something to do with air bubles or a dodgy notrogen fill/shock leak, but it is an interesting problem.

This problem does not manifest itself when the shock is not under constant compression either, quite strange really.

Anyway I think I shall send it in for a service, just to see what is really wrong. As a bit of a thread hijack, can somebody suggest somewhere where I might get my shock serviced in Australia? (I could look, but I am lazy.....)

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
I had that exact problem with my swinger, its on my gemini DH. i couldnt figure out what was wrong with it, i put more air in the chamber and that seemed to fix the topout problem. Then the rebound stopped working entirely, i had a friend take it to mammoth and have the techs from anwser look at it, apparently it was a leak in the chamber, and something else. If you can get it to a nationals race have the techs look at it.