Quantcast

Switched to Sintered Pads, Codes Fade Now...

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Seems weird, no?

Codes are about a year old, still on stock fluid. Have some Motul 5.1 that I'm going to put in there tonight which should help. The brakes have considerably more power now, but at the end of a really steep, ~3 minute run, they start fading.

I suppose it makes sense that the organic stock pads would isolate heat to the rotor a bit more, and metallic pads would transfer it to the caliper more. So I suppose that's what's happening? However, I've never heard of this happening before, and cannot find anyone reporting this in my searches.

EDIT: Also, I surface sanded my rotors with 220 grit to remove any embedded organic pad material, so I don't think its any kind of interplay there.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe they need a bleed, if there is air in the line that will expand when the fluid has warmed up.
I second this. I run sintered pads and did a run that was just just murder on my brakes (smoke coming from leaves when the landed on the rotors kinda of stuff, 10 minutes of constantly riding the brakes) but they didn't really fade. It's probably just the bleed. Are the rears or front's fading? I might be totally wrong but I found that with the bleed port on the fronts the fluid wants to come out when you remove the syringe. I tried rotating the bike forward a lot and that seemed to help.

P.S. 2011 codes so far rock.

Last edited:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah I had a bubble that I just did a quick bleed on about a month ago to get rid of. The line feels rock solid now and doesn't "pump up" when you flip the bike upside down or anything. However, it is literally impossible to get rid of every bubble in these brakes so I bet there's one hiding out somewhere in the system.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, wish I'd switched long ago. Fair bit more power with metallic. Still good modulation too.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah I had a bubble that I just did a quick bleed on about a month ago to get rid of. The line feels rock solid now and doesn't "pump up" when you flip the bike upside down or anything. However, it is literally impossible to get rid of every bubble in these brakes so I bet there's one hiding out somewhere in the system.

Ya, with a proper bleed they should be rock hard. Mine are at least, took me a few tries though.