Quantcast

switching to 24's

Pjumper

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
hey, i have an 05 P.3 with 16.2 inch chain stays and the 110mm sherman jumper fork. I am thinking that i want to switch to 24's because they fit into trannies easier and they make the bike easier to throw around and that's important because i'm not very big. i was wondring what dissadvantages they came with tho, i know some will say tires and tubes are harder to find, but i'm not concerned about that, i'm onlt concerend with how the bike will ride. i know the smaller wheels will be smaller gyroscopes in the air so obviously it will be less stable, easier to throw around. and it will also speed up and slow down fast because they are smaller gyroscopes. what i am concerned about tho is the lower BB hight, will this not make the bike want to stay planted more because the CG is an inch closer to the ground? I have talked to a few friends and they all said that it would acctually be easier to do manuals and hopping but i think the lower CG would make it harder... am i the only one that thinks this? i rode a chase with 24s on it and it was really hard to manual, i know this could be for a number of reasons, but is it infact because of the 24's? I can see how one migh think it would be easier with the smaller rim. i would like someone who has a bike similar to mine who has made the switch and knows or someone who KNOWS for sure to clear this up for me. any other information that might be important would be greatly apprechiated too

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Your BB will IMO be too low. The BB will be an inch lower, and the P already has a low BB. It'll make manuals harder and make it more likely to hit your sprocket/pedals.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I havn't switched, but I just recently bought my first hardtail on 24's and to be honest, I almost like them more. I'm 5'8" fairly small and the big is more flickable and easy to throw around, the wheels are harder to bend, lighter, they fit into trannys easier, and
I'm only riding park and dj's so the 2 inch smaller wheel is not really noticable since I'm not trailiriding and as far as manualing, I wouldn't know since I havn't really tried to manual the exact same bike with 26's but it may be how the bike was set up or the frame geometry.

hope this helps

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Your BB will IMO be too low. The BB will be an inch lower, and the P already has a low BB. It'll make manuals harder and make it more likely to hit your sprocket/pedals.
not really
I with it being a street dj bike a low BB shouldn't be too much of any issue as long as you have short enough crank arms
I rode my friends P2 with dual 24's and a 100mm sherman
and it felt amazing, very light flickable set up

Pjumper

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
ya, it's really only a street and Dj bike, i have 170mm crank arms so they don't get much shorter in standard MTB cranks. the only thing is, the lower CG, does it really affect the ability to lift the front or back end?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
you'll have a 12.somthing BB. thats low but it's not unheard of. run a tiny chainring and a bash and you should be fine. bb height has less to do with manueling then CS lenght, F/S lenght and weight.
the atvantage of 24s for me was that they make everything seem bigger.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I agree w/ Bicyclist that the BB will be too low with the 24"s. Plus the CS @ 16.2" will be on the long side. My USB w/ 24s has a 12.3" BB and 14.6" CS and it feels great. I'd keep the 26"ers on as a 16.2" CS and 12.whatever BB is good drivetrain geometry for a 26"er.

IDK what tires you are running but get some good ones (Tioga's, Kendas Krads or Kiniptions, Maxxis Holy Rollers) and put a bunch of air in them (60 psi if they can take it). Also make sure your wheels are solid and spokes are nice and tight. The Sherman should work well but I would try to lower it a bit and make sure you have some stiff springs in there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree w/ Bicyclist that the BB will be too low with the 24"s. Plus the CS @ 16.2" will be on the long side. My USB w/ 24s has a 12.3" BB and 14.6" CS and it feels great. I'd keep the 26"ers on as a 16.2" CS and 12.whatever BB is good drivetrain geometry for a 26"er.

IDK what tires you are running but get some good ones (Tioga's, Kendas Krads or Kiniptions, Maxxis Holy Rollers) and put a bunch of air in them (60 psi if they can take it). Also make sure your wheels are solid and spokes are nice and tight. The Sherman should work well but I would try to lower it a bit and make sure you have some stiff springs in there.
Good advice.

I would go for the Kendas. Holy Rollers are nice on dirt but soft on street, and it sounds like you wanna ride street to me.

Your bike just won't have good 24" geo.

Pjumper

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
my bb height would be ~10.85 inches if i switched to 24s, it's already really low, i don't find myself worried about it too muc tho, most the time your cranks are level and then it's not like i'll be riding over any logs that i can't hop right over, my chain ring clearence isn't what i'm concerned about it's how the bike will feel if i switch to 24s unless there is something i'm missing about bb height, i think 24s sound not bad

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The issue isn't hitting cranks (although that's a problem). The issue is it'll make your bike sluggish, you'll hit your chainring on everything (if you're riding park), and it'll make your bike really hard to manual because you're low to the ground. Go for it if you want but IMO your bike will ride terribly.

Pjumper

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
won't the CS lenth not really matter because it stays constant on the tire size changes so would it not have the same affect on the frame weither you had a 24 or 26 inch tire in your frame? therefore in aspects concering characteristics of handling regarding CS lenth perform mostly the same?

above that is what i was thinking but every body i've talked to off this board have said the exact opposite of you guys that 24s make it eaier to manual the bike would respond better etc. i even talked to a guy running 24s minding he has a mob so his geo is slightly different but very similar(his bb is 1/2" higher and hsi CS is 1/2" shorter) and he loves the 24s i'm not saying you guys are wrong but it's just a big choise because if i did switch i'd be dropping a fair amount of cash because i wouldn't cheap out and i just want to be sure, i'm taking all the info i can, and just trying to restate some of what i've heard, i'm not trying to oppose you or say you're wrong
peace

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, the CS length is the same. The point is it's not good geo for 24" wheels.

That'd be like putting 26" wheels on a 29er. It's the same geo save for lower, but why have a 26" wheeled bike with really long CSs when you don't have to? You could do better for those wheels. For street/park/DJ (if you've got some cash and you want a more responsive bike) I would look into the Nemesis Project bikes, a Union Molly, or a Tonic Fall Guy. They're got dialed 24" bike geo and they're sick to boot.

I'm sure the bike will work alright, but you could definately do better and IMO it'll be better with 26s. It'll make manualing hard for you because you'll have to pull your BB up to the same balance point, from an inch lower starting point. Yes, it'll accellerate faster but it'll feel weird IMO.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
24" wheels are great. I highly recommend them. I'm not sure thay'd make a big enough difference on a P3 though. I've seen them on a
P-1 Cromo, and it worked out, however that bike has a 24 in back to start with. I'd say get the wheels, hang them in your garage, and start saving for a new frame. A Nemesis Project DM or SF, Tonic Fab Fall Guy, or a USB Molly would give you exactly what you want: A quicker handling, easier to ride bike.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
above that is what i was thinking but every body i've talked to off this board have said the exact opposite of you guys that 24s make it eaier to manual the bike would respond better etc. i even talked to a guy running 24s minding he has a mob so his geo is slightly different but very similar(his bb is 1/2" higher and hsi CS is 1/2" shorter) and he loves the 24s i'm not saying you guys are wrong but it's just a big choise because if i did switch i'd be dropping a fair amount of cash because i wouldn't cheap out and i just want to be sure, i'm taking all the info i can, and just trying to restate some of what i've heard, i'm not trying to oppose you or say you're wrong
peace
PJumper - just curious, who are the people that you are talking to? I've had a lot of different setups over the years and from what I've read Bicyclist has as well. Not saying those guys are wrong and not to run what you want but I really think keeping the 26"ers will be the best move for the P.3. And if you read my past posts, I preach 24"ers for strict DJ, park, & street riding. I just think it the 24's won't feel as good as 26's on that bike. If you think about it most 20" BMX frames are around 11.75" BB height w/ around a 14" CS. So if you go 24s you'll have the same BB w/ much bigger wheels and longer CS? Remember the wheelbase on your bike will be the same w/ either 24 or 26's.

Like I said above get some good tires for what you're riding (street, trails, or park) and try out some 24ers if you can. And really look out for a USB MM, Tonic Fall Guy or Nemisis 24"er to try out. I really think they have the "right" numbers for 24" bike w/ sussy/long forks.