Quantcast

SWVA riders

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
I'm talking about way down in SWVA. I'm looking for some people to ride with. I live near UVA at Wise. So anybody in the area interested?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
wow, you are down in SW VA, my pops lives in Norton, let me know if you find any riding in that area, there are def. some hills. Everytime I'm down there I just think about how much those mtns are holding out.

I know there is a horse trail off of High Knob in Norton don't know where the trail head is or anything but I know it's there, I'm sure if you asked around you could figure out where it is...... you could also shuttle it......

Damascus outside of Abingdon is suppose to have some real nice stuff as well, and there is a shop or two in town that I would bet would know the low down and all the local goodies....

That is waaayyy down in southwest va... im in wytheville and i thought i was on the edge of the world. There is some decent stuff up this way and over in the Sugar Grove area but nothing really shuttleable that i know of... thats why I got rid of my big bike to get a new XC bike. The XC in this area is some of the best around... I probably have a dozen or so trails within 15 minutes of my house.

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
Wytheville isn't too far from here. Got any links or anything to some trails in that area? I'm not really into shuttle rides, XC is more my thing. Have you ever ridden at Hungry Mother State Park? I've heard mixed reviews about the trails there.

andym said:
Wytheville isn't too far from here. Got any links or anything to some trails in that area? I'm not really into shuttle rides, XC is more my thing. Have you ever ridden at Hungry Mother State Park? I've heard mixed reviews about the trails there.
We ride Hungry Mother on occasion and they have a race there in the fall. The good trails are "no bikes" but I have never seen it enforced and one of the rangers rides on them and really there is no other traffic on them besides bikes.

I have a site called wytheoutdoors.com and I'm slowly mapping and getting trail reviews up... there is also a forum and calender on there that we use alot to set up ride times during the spring and summer. We really do have some great XC riding around here and alot of it within 5-25 minutes from the center of town.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Iron mtn. from Skulls Gap. Just go to adventure damascus and ask for Booter BIll.

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
Thanks for the info. Blacksburg is about 3 hours from here. Its doable for some good trails.

I've seen the Wythe outdoors site before. I'll keep my eyes on it for some ride info. My problem isn't finding a place to ride, its finding people to ride with. My usual ride buddies like to ride stuff like the VA Creeper trail. Its fun for an occasional easy group ride but I like more challenge. I did manage to get one of the out to Warrior's Path in TN on Friday and he had a good time. Maybe we'll get in the woods a little more.

I've ridden Iron Mtn before. I don't know if we started at Skulls gap. All I know is it was a wide spot off of FR90 and the trail started up a hill to some cool trails. The guys I was riding with were flying on the trail while I tended to hang back and cruise. I was really not liking riding clipless there.