Quantcast

Sx Trail as a Dh race bike, or alternatives?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Im after a new Dh race frame and forks. Ive been thinking about an Sx trail frame, im from the uk and the majority of tracks i ride arnt full of rocks and arnt world cup tracks so i was thinking the sx trail may make a nice race bike.

What are peoples opinions on this, what bb/head angle would i get with 8" boxxers and flat crowns/fox forks (would they be overkill?)

Any alternatives to a 7inchish downhill frame that would build tight and light for the less gnarly situations? I ride flat pedals too so dont fancy a simple single pivot really.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks, Rick

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well i think a single piviot would be awsome for you, and where did you get the idea that you had to run clips with a single piviot. me personally id want more travel, more slack geo, longer chainstays, and well a much burlier bike. id stay away from the sx as a race bike period, but that is just me. if im getting a race bike its gonna be designed to be a dh race bike and that is it just because they are designed around the harshness of racing, the mach speeds of racing, and the geo that a race bike needs where the sx is not.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A lot of NorCal riders are using Big Hit frames with their own builds. I know one kid who chose that frame over a V-10.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
the SX trail is a great bike...but i dont think you'd be too happy with it for a race only bike. First of all, the frame is only designed and will only allow a 7 inch fork, so your boxxer wont work with it, and second of all, it was designed with free ride/ all mountain in mind, not racing, so the geo is gonna be a little off for you. Bighits are really nice for dh, and if you wanna wait a bit...wait for the Demo 7.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
see im not a fan of the bithits for racing but that is just me. yeh the demo 7 is deffinatly an option but im a company hore and cant stand to ride specialized corperate junk. i say go for ironhorse or orange that is just me though man.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I have an Enduro Expert and an older V10...

I have actually used the Enduro on some DH courses (and 2 races) and it works pretty well, but overall it just isn't quite enough bike. Around here the courses can get really rocky with a lot of waterbars, etc...and while the Enduro flies through the higher speed stuff, it really gets bogged down in the rough sections.

I keep going back and forth between the bikes because the Enduro is simply more fun to ride, and is MUCH more manueverable. The V10 just rolls over everything and is hard to move around, but rarely gets hung up on anything.

One other thing...I have the enduro slacked out as much as possible, but it still feels like my weight is a bit too forward most of the time. I really have to be concious of moving my weight WAY back.

I think the demo 7 people are talking about might be the way to go. More DH oriented, but still not as big/bulky.

I am kind of wanting something like this myself. If I could get a bike that is 'flickable' like the Enduro, but setup more for DH that would definitely get me to give up the V10...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My Expert buddy races on an SX Trail and kills it. The geo is spot on in the slack setting. You can internally modify the travel of a Boxxer to 7", that would be sick.

Another bike to look at would be a Commencal, a bit more money but it's 7" of travel with more DH in mind.

Also, a Turner DHR seems to be the most flickable DH bike out right now. Check it out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
frznnomad said:
see im not a fan of the bithits for racing but that is just me. yeh the demo 7 is deffinatly an option but im a company hore and cant stand to ride specialized corperate junk. i say go for ironhorse or orange that is just me though man.
That's funny, Specialized is too "corporate" for you yet Iron Horse isn't? And whose bikes can you find at Sports Mart? Hrm.

That's some good logic. :dead:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Nomad, or an Ellsworth Rogue from how the geometry looks with a 7.8" eye to eye shock. BCD could build you a frame, or you could buy any of a ton of DH bikes, and put on a shorter shock.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Im not really interested in a big hit guys, phoned my local big bikeshop today, orange 224's and demo 8's seem to be the semi pro racer there's opinion.

I have had a 222 however and found the pedal feedback very annoying, my last frame was an m1 but the 9inches from that particular frame was too much to haul around for me as im not the biggest guy.

I hear the 224's nowdays are pretty sorted, and i would love an IH sunday but we have a few availability problems here in the uk plus they are supplied with a 5th which i really dont want.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol ive worked for specialized shops and when i say to coorporate they dont think about the little guy. they only think for themselves. yes ironhorse is a corperation but they take care of there customers where as specialized doesnt give a rats ass about there customers. there cs sucks and well i will never ride a bike that is backed by a bunch of corperate ass holes. thats what i mean by to corporate.

man i say go with the 224 im seriously thinking about one man and they seem to have all the bugs worked out. you also have a great company backing you up and there widley available in the uk so i say go for it man.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
It depends alot on your riding style and preference for geometry too. I have an 05 and its not slack enough (in my mind) for uber-steep (oh yes, I said uber) stuff, and lacks the strength for real big hits and hard drops. If you are light, ride smooth, and race courses that don't have lots of steeps, or big hard hits, I would say go for it.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
frznnomad said:
lol ive worked for specialized shops and when i say to coorporate they dont think about the little guy. they only think for themselves. yes ironhorse is a corperation but they take care of there customers where as specialized doesnt give a rats ass about there customers. there cs sucks and well i will never ride a bike that is backed by a bunch of corperate ass holes. thats what i mean by to corporate.

man i say go with the 224 im seriously thinking about one man and they seem to have all the bugs worked out. you also have a great company backing you up and there widley available in the uk so i say go for it man.
Do you smoke crack before posting? :help:

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
frznnomad said:
where as specialized doesnt give a rats ass about there customers. there cs sucks .
he said she said: I have had two experiences with spec cs, both very positive. Hell, they got me a new swingarm (in NZ) in 4 days, no questions asked.
I do agree that they don't seem to use lots of customer feedback. It seems they are driving trends, trying to set standards, TELLING people what they like and need, whereas, say IH listens (Hell even though DW and SkaTodd know most of us monkeys are lame-o's) they still listen to our input and in some way I bet that influences (maybe big, maybe small) their product lines. Maybe...hell I dunno.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
you might not agree with me fellas but working for a shop that dealt with them it just made me relize how much better my ironhorse cs was i mean the rep i dealt with was awsome new the products and was an all around nice guy. all the guys i dealt with on the phone were total asses to me sorry you dont agree just dont like them and well wont ride there products sorry.

ragin that is another great thing i like about ironhorse they listen to our feedback. i mean im all for trend setting but id rather have a company listen to my feedback thats just me.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Maan, you guys bitch like women!!

Im think the 224 may be the one. Anybody riding one on flats, whats peoples thoughts?

Rick

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I would take a look at the IH 7point. Pedals really well, flickable yet stable at speed and has old skool DH geometry. It can be set up firm or very plush. With a few smart parts changes you can lighten it up and make it a tad more slacker plus you will be able to beat the snot out of it!

I have been running one for about a year now and it has been the ticket on 90-95% of the courses on the EAST coast. The only courses I wish I had a full blown DH rig on is the high speed courses like Mount Snow etc. It rules the woods and short take off drop offs (commonly found on race courses). Plus, it is not a bear on shuttle and trail rides.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I was told full bikes are sold out this year awaiting 07 bikes.

I know frames are in stock but with 5th elements, something i want to keep away from (and dont want to start an argument about!)

If you have frames in stock what shock are they coming with? H''ow much can you get me one for cash, and what do they come with? (rear hub, headest etc)

Also, what size do you reccomend, im 5'8'

Pm me if you like with the details, if you can sort me out with a fox equipped one i think you have a sale :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why not just buy a DHX and sell your 5th? I got one for $220 shipped new (granted, it was a 4.0 but still a good deal).

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ahh that would explain it, but bicyclist brings up an excelent point sell the 5th and just buy a dhx i mean for what they are and the performance that you get 320 from go ride is an awsome price. just my opinion.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bicyclist said:
Why not just buy a DHX and sell your 5th? I got one for $220 shipped new (granted, it was a 4.0 but still a good deal).
Funky Sunday valving could potentially be a PITA.

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
the bighit and demo8 are great race bikes, dont let some person move you away from the bighit based on the history of it, or it not being the most high end bike. its a great bike and has everything you need to do well, ride what works well not just what it pushed the most to sell, but in the end it comes down to just staying off the brakes and lots of bikes will go fast, so just ride a bike and have fun

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
SPrider said:
the bighit and demo8 are great race bikes, dont let some person move you away from the bighit based on the history of it, or it not being the most high end bike. its a great bike and has everything you need to do well, ride what works well not just what it pushed the most to sell, but in the end it comes down to just staying off the brakes and lots of bikes will go fast, so just ride a bike and have fun
yeah the bighit and demo bikes are awsome dh bikes. i just ordered a 06 specialized bighit fsr and it will be here in about 2-3 days! i cant wait to ride it. i have loved all of my specialized bikes and there CS. they are just a great company!:love:

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
SPrider said:
... but in the end it comes down to just staying off the brakes and lots of bikes will go fast, so just ride a bike and have fun
Very good advice.

Rick205, did you know that the MTB magazine 'DIRT' did a test on an U.K. DH track with an S-works Enduro (Fox 36 and DHX air with 150mm travel) and it was one of the fastest ''DH'' bikes on that track?

I have a SX Trail and compared to my Bighit (26") it rides 'easy, light and fast'.
The Geometry (especially the short chain stay and long wheelbase), may feel a little strange in the beginning, but it has the advantage that you can switch lines and take corners super fast. You have to 'work' in the rough sections and use some body English, but what you may loose in the super rough, you definitely make up in the corners, jumps and pedal sections.

The headangle, in the lowest setting, is 66.5° with a 170mm 66.
A 8" Boxxer would probably slacken it a little (but the warranty says no forks with more than 170mm)

I think that the SX is a great bike for European tracks.