Quantcast

SX Trail shock swap?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so I was wondering can u swap out the coil spring shock on an SX trail for an air shock (correct size and stroke to not screw up the geo) and just pump it up harder so it essentially acts/feels like a shorter travel bike? Just an idea I had since others are pumping their low-mid travel airshocks to run like hardtails I figured why not this bike too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
What year sx trail?
It miiiight be possible, but many of the sx trails used a "custom" length shock...

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
2010/2011 I looked up the stock shock length on spesh's site and found air shocks the same size. The only thing is I know the 09's had a weird oversized eyelet that basically only allowed Fox's to be used. I dunno if that changed for the 10/11's

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think that's a cool idea. You could even add a bottom out bumper internally in the shock to give it a nice ramp up at the end (see push bighit kit- I just copied it). It appears that the size will work. If the end of the shock is a "stock" configuration, it should bolt up. However, I don't think it is. My buddy modified the end of a coil dhx to fit his 2010 enduro, and it worked, eventually, but was a bit of a headache for him.

Best bet if you dont have machining capabilities/access would be to take the old and new to a machine shop to copy the slot that is in the end of the shock- should be easy for them.

I think that could be a great set up to make the bike jump really well. Heck, you could even do shock and fork swap to lower/stiffen it up for jumpy/smooth stuff. Could be fun- let us know what you find out!