Quantcast

SX Trail Vs. Demo 7

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Sound off people I am trying to make the call....I like hte bigger bikes but I also like to ride up as well as down.....Can a Demo 7 be built on a sub 40 diet?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
You can, but honestly, I think the SXT is a far better bike anyway. It only gives up 1/2" of travel to the bigger bike and weighs a lot less. Everyone I know that owns an SXT loves it, including those who have sold them and want 'em back. I know a bunch of people that have Demo 7s as well, and half of them wish they went the SXT route.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
you need the demo to make up for your hamfisted riding style, don't kid yourself, the sx requires a deft pilot such as myself..........

tvanderkamp

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
I've got an SX trail. Fox VanR36 on the front and DHX 4.0 on the back. I've beefed it up to ride downhill...weighs in about 36 lbs. I also keep a Boxxer around that I can quick swap around. But i'm going downhilling at Snowshoe this weekend and leaving the VanR36 on it. Don't always need the dual crown.

I love it. I ride it up at Snowshoe West Virginia on the downhill side and the freeride side and there isn't anything I can't do on it. And, like your talking about...it is still good for pedaling around doing local XC stuff. I ain't winning any races on it or anything, but I'm never far behind the group either.

I just can't see pedaling a demo 7. My buddy just bought a new one and that thing is a tank. It just wasn't designed at all to pedal. I know you can do it...... i've seen a guy do XC on his demo 9 with no seat post. It's possible, but it just isn't a great idea. The Demo was really designed for lift service bike parks. Not to pedal around.

I use my SX as two bikes for one. When I go to Snowshoe or downhilling here in North Carolina I throw on a heavier set of hubs and bigger tires (and sometimes the dual crown fork) and when I want to trail ride I just swap out my freeride wheels with a set of DT swiss 5.1D and it works great for all around riding.

And the SX is perfect for North Carolina type riding. Most big downhill runs here require 40min to 1 1/2 hours of pedaling up double track before you hit the next downhill run. Pedaling is an absolute neccessity.

I'd do the SX if you are riding trails at all. The demo just isn't that kind of bike.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I will let you know soon I have an 07 sxt custom build that I love but I just bought an 09 demo 7 II frame removed the spacer so its 7.7" of travel. The sxt only has 6.75" and is really not something to pedal up hill

Jun 20, 2007
My buddy just went through the same analysis, and he bought the SXT and absolutely loves it. Sick bike, pedals great, and is plenty strong for drops and when pointed down.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
pretty simple, if you want more of a dh bike go with the demo if you want more of a trail bike go with the sxt. They are different riding no doubt. Sounds like to me you want the sxt, I owned a '06 sxt and now own a '08 demo and push and pedal them the same places I always have. It's all relative to what you get use to.