Quantcast

sylvia or arlovski

Jun 12, 2006
who do you want to win at ufc bitter rivals. personaly, i want arlovski to win cause sylvia seems like a giant turd that just throws random punches and relys on his height advantage for the win. i hope arlovski kicks his butt. did anybody see their first rematch? i saw their first fight but not the second

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hate Tim Silvia. He looks like a huge zombie with no skill and no style.

I saw both fights, Silvia was hurt and Arlofski went in for the kill and got caught with a lucky punch.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
WTF!

Fedor for the world! sylvia or arlovski wouldnt stand a chance. :D

that being said I think arlovski will take it this time around.

I also think a better question is whos' advancing in Pride's Critical Countdown

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I enjoy the contrast in sizes and styles, and I hope it is a long fight this time. But Arlovski did have the advantage, I remember Sylvia did get a few shots in before his "lucky punch".

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
jimmydean said:
I hate Tim Silvia. He looks like a huge zombie with no skill and no style.

I saw both fights, Silvia was hurt and Arlofski went in for the kill and got caught with a lucky punch.
Lucky or not. Winning is winning.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
sanjuro said:
I enjoy the contrast in sizes and styles, and I hope it is a long fight this time. But Arlovski did have the advantage, I remember Sylvia did get a few shots in before his "lucky punch".
Silvia might be a big ole slow galoot but he has stupid heavy hands that make most of his punches "lucky" or "unlucky" depending on which end of them you are. I think that Silvia is going to win because of his size advantage.

Ortiz and Shamrock... who the hell knows. I suspect it will be a disaster in that one is going to come into it unprepared (probably Ortiz) and get destroyed which will force a rematch (the rubber match). With the winner of the rematch getting fed to Liddell.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DRB said:
<snip> With the winner of the rematch getting fed to Liddell.
That's what I'm talking about! I haven't seen Chuck fight in a while. It would be great to see him beat the piss out of either of those clowns.

I just hate watching Silvia, he's such a jackass. No form, no style, no skill. He does have heavy hands, but the UFC is about excitment, otherwise they would have a valid ranking system.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Do any of you guys watch anything other than UFC? Not ragging but its fairly common knowledge that Pride is curently the 'say all, end all' of MMA fighting, seeing as most UFC top contendors and title holders loose in Pride fights. I'd suggest google videoing some pride fights to see whats up. Not saying UFC is any less entertaining but its certainly not 'ultimate' by any means, especialy seeing as pride offers the big $$$ so most 'great ones' end up there.

Some fighters to watch:

Fedor Emelienko (curent heavy weight champion. arguably the greatest fighter ever, undefeated except cut stopage, etc)
Wanderlei Silva (crazy and goes toe to toe with anyone)
'Cro-Cop' (deadly kicks)
Bob Sapp (for the pure entertainment factor)

Some good fights http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2810170922897779466&q=pride+fc

Angelo 'fight buff' Z.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jimmydean said:
That's what I'm talking about! I haven't seen Chuck fight in a while. It would be great to see him beat the piss out of either of those clowns.
He fights Babalu in August. I suspect he'll beat him up. The Ultimate Fighter guys are not progressing as hoped so that leads to a very empty cabinet for Liddell. I wouldn't be surprised to see UFC try to get some Pride guys. Liddell as talked about going for Jackson again.

jimmydean said:
I just hate watching Silvia, he's such a jackass. No form, no style, no skill. He does have heavy hands, but the UFC is about excitment, otherwise they would have a valid ranking system.
I don't care for any of the heavyweights in the UFC. PRIDE as a better stable but still I don't care for them either.

I'm more jacked up about Tarver v. Wright for now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chuck is second cousin to my best friend and is a bad man. I have seen him fight way back in his kickboxing days. To see how he has advanced as an all around fighter is cool.

I have not seen any of the Pride fights. I will check some out for sure. I watch UFC because it's available and the show has been good at times too. The year, the man to watch is Ed. he is a hometown boy and may end up with a huge contract and a real shot in the UFC title. I'd at least like to see him get into it with Tito.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you're ever in one of these fights, and the guy you're supposed to be fighting doesnt show up, so they decide to use a 'replacement' fighter, and his name happens to be 'Tong Po', dont get in the ring.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
If you're ever in one of these fights, and the guy you're supposed to be fighting doesnt show up, so they decide to use a 'replacement' fighter, and his name happens to be 'Tong Po', dont get in the ring.
I forget his real name, but he was the champ for a few years. He is a bad man in real life (prior to cheesy movie).

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Chuck's fighting deal (the pit?) I think is based just an short drive from Santa Barbara. When we were driving up North I remember seeing it from the freeway. He went to our local high school here and stories from back in the day......he'd thrown down anywhere. I wouldn't want to get on any of the UFC's top guys bad side :)

The slyvia-arlovsky fight.........I watched the last one, I think arvlosky has more skill.....but it's hard in any sport going up against someone who has that big of a height/reach advantage. It's what 6'2 or 3 vs 6'8? Talk about a reach disadvantage. I say Arlovsky wins that one.

The Tito-Shamrock fight is a joke. The last time they fought Ken got beat in what the first round? It's just like on the Ultimate fighter. Look at how they each coach their teams. Ken's team looses just about every time and the one's that they win they can't hold onto them. Ken and Tito both have skills on the ground and stand up. I just think this time around Ken may take it. There's no way he wants to get beat on the show and in real life. Though it's a good way for Tito to kill his moral when they fight.

The only UFC guy I've enjoyed making it to the UFC is Forrest Griffen. He lost to Ortiz in a decesion in the last fight. It was 4 rounds I think too. Some of the other's haven't done enough yet. Even though they got a free PT cruiser and a "six figure contract" they still are fighting their way up the ranks of semi-unknown fighters. It's the guys you here about and see that you know have it (mainly the coaches of the Ultimate Fighter).

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
atrokz said:
Do any of you guys watch anything other than UFC? Not ragging but its fairly common knowledge that Pride is curently the 'say all, end all' of MMA fighting.
I partially Agree. In the HW division the UFC guys would not stand a chance. Sylvia or Arlovski would not be top 3 in pride, (Fedor, Cro-Cop, and Nog above them) but I do think that Sylvia would do better there than arlovski. I am going to take arlovski in the fight at Bitter Rivals though against sylvia. Arlovski got caught in the second fight being way too aggressive and it will not happen again. Anyway, who wants to root for a guy, Sylvia, that wears his championship belt everywhere he goes and sleeps with it in his bed. The UFC should add another weight class in between 205 and Heavyweight 205 - 240, then 240 - 305. News on the Heavyweight front is that Brock Lesnar of WWE fame(Former NCAA champ wrestler) is in negotiations to sign with either pride or UFC. I really like the new hw Brandon Vera, but I dont think that he has the skills to take on either sylvia or arlovski yet. UFC HWs would get dominated by those in Pride.

At 205, wandy and chuck is a dream matchup. After those two there's Babalu, Rua, Nog, and Arona. Who knows how Ortiz will fight against a top 5, he had a lot of trouble with griffen who still needs a couple of years to be a true contender. Hopefully the UFC will sign Rampage so chuck can avenge his loss. There is a lot of guys with skills at this weight, altough Chuck is better than any of them at them moment, I think that both organizations are almost equal.

185, Franklin and Hendo are both way above the rest and number 3 linland is not in either division. The UFC also just picked up anderson silva probably number 4 in the world. All of the Chris Leban nuthuggers are going to be in for a surprise when he gets destroyed at UFN on the 28th. With Louisau, Tanner, Swick, and Horn, the UFC is Easily better than Pride in this division.

170, The UFC privides a very exciting weight class here. Hughes at the top, but he will get beat by GSP this fall, After those 2 you have Penn, Karo, Sanchez...

Obviously Pride takes lightweight and they have some serious talent here. Without there being a beltholder in the UFC, but there is some talent rising in the division and it will continue to improve.

All in all I think that they are very close, but I prefer the UFC. Pride is great, but if you look at the overall talent pools of both each are better at certain weights leveling each other out.

AA and Ortiz will win their matches. I do think that I will be more entertained by the Spike show on the 28th though.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
homepiece said:
I partially Agree. In the HW division ......
All good points, But for those thinking arlo's disadvantage is size look at Fedor: 6'0, 220 and any heavyweight (pride rules = 200+ goes) who contends gets a whooping. For Other classes, UFC certainly has talent in Hughes and Iceman so I'd like to see: Iceman/W. Silva; Hughes/??; Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/ Tim Sylvia :-)D); Ortiz/Cro-cop.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I watched the Pride KO's video and saw two sweet Chuck KO's in there. I will have to check out more of those. Are they also PVP, or are they shown somewhere?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw the Strikeforce matches in San Jose. I liked it a lot and there was great energy in the crowd, even though the fights were subpar.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I am with homepiece...UFC has its weight classes, but HW absolutely belongs to Pride.

Tim Sylvia? Sheeeeeeet.

Jimmy Dean: In portland you can watch pride on fox sports net (same channel the blazer games are on all the time).