Quantcast

Syncros rims & Hope Bulb hubs

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
15,192
0
¡Phoenix!
These will actually be built for my Kikapu, but I'm a big guy, and not a weight weenie. Anyone have experience with either/both?

Sorry if this is bike related...

:dancing:
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
hope bulbs, despite the rah-rah chants of brian, are actually a damn good product. the ability to convert fairly easily between QR and thru-axle is a plus, the quality is top-notch, and they are generally a fair bit cheaper than CK or Hadley. can't say anything about syncros rims; why veer from mavic?
 

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
15,192
0
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
why veer from mavic?
I've replaced 13 broken spokes (no lie, I replaced with a different color spoke each time to track the "progress") on my 321's, and finally threw some Outlaws on the Stinky.

My CrossMax's spokes like to jump out of the hub from time to time.

I guess it's visual. I have some white Vueltas on there now which feel like they're going to snap.

OK, what about Halo rims? Can ya get those in The States?



The new fork and King headset go on tomorrow!
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
the only rims i've had serious exp w/ are mavics (a variety), sun rhyno lites, singlewides, and er...that's it. the rhyno lite's a decent, cheap, dependable rim. it can be a real pain though mounting certain tires.
 

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
15,192
0
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
the rhyno lite's a decent, cheap, dependable rim. it can be a real pain though mounting certain tires.
A buddy runs those with Hookworms, and I was on my 3rd beer when he finished a flat change in the parking lot of the bar.

:D
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,659
26
behind the viewfinder
one of the most frustrating bike mechanic moments involved a rhyno lite, a gazzy jr DH tire, and 3 plastic tire levers. two pinched tubes and 3 broken levers later, i gave up.
 

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
15,192
0
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
one of the most frustrating bike mechanic moments involved a rhyno lite, a gazzy jr DH tire, and 3 plastic tire levers. two pinched tubes and 3 broken levers later, i gave up.
Dude realized he was slow leakin, and he looked at me ghost white and said: "You've got your big metal levers right?" Me: "Yup, here ya go, I'll be in the bar".

:evil:
 

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
31,457
36
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
hope bulbs, despite the rah-rah chants of brian, are actually a damn good product. the ability to convert fairly easily between QR and thru-axle is a plus, the quality is top-notch, and they are generally a fair bit cheaper than CK or Hadley. can't say anything about syncros rims; why veer from mavic?
Come on Tim, I only rah-rah kick ass products:eviltongu

I have bulbs on my trail bike and DS bike.:thumb:
 

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
1,037
1,344
good stuff. i've got a pair of hope bulbs (somm front/qr rear) laced to syncros dp25 rims on one bike, and a nother hope 20mm front on another. no problems at all. should be a good build.

if you need a bit more beef, the dp rims come in a 28mm wide version too.
 

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
9,890
4
Hypernormality
Hope stuff does kick ass. Rims don't matter quite so much as long as the builder does a good job. Having said that my straightest rims are my D321s.