Quantcast

T-dopers

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A tearful Erik Zabel appeared at the T-Mobile press conference Thursday along with former teammate Rolf Aldag to confess to EPO usage while riding for the Team Telekom in the 1990s. Current T-Mobile Team Manager Bob Stapleton praised the two for coming forward, saying that Aldag would continue to work for the team, and promised "further significant changes in our program this year and next year." (Read Cyclingnews' earlier article on the scheduled press conference.)

Zabel was a surprise guest at the press conference in Bonn, Germany. Visibly moved and fighting back tears -- sometimes unsuccessfully -- he admitted to having used EPO during the first week of the Tour de France 1996. The side-effects were so great, however, that he stopped with it. He admitted that he did not know how his current team Milram would accept his confession, and it not clear what is his present status with the team.

He was unable to control his voice or hold back his tears when he spoke of his son Rick. "My son rides, too, and I don't want him to go through what I went through," said the four-time winner of Milano-Sanremo.

"It doesn't make any difference whether it happened one time or over two years, the point is that it was forbidden to dope, and I doped. I doped, I lied and I apologize for that."

Aldag confessed to a longer history of doping. He started with EPO before the 1995 Tour de France, and he said that continued with it. In 1997, he hit a hematocrit of 50 percent, and started wondering whether it was worth it. His highest blood value was 53 percent. Finally in 1999, at the age of 30, he decided to stop using the products.

Stapleton said that a major reason he decided to keep Aldag on was the team. "I have spoken to our athletes, asked how they feel about things and about the team management. Many of them said that Rolf Aldag was the reason they are here. That is very important. They resoundingly said that he should stay and that he has their full and complete support."

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've been following this story with some interest and was surprised to hear from Zabel. I didn't think he'd admit this publicly. I hope he is not lying about the length of time he did it for or his general level of involvment in it. I give his "I only did it once" claims a little more weight than most. I always liked Zabel.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've been following this story with some interest and was surprised to hear from Zabel. I didn't think he'd admit this publicly. I hope he is not lying about the length of time he did it for or his general level of involvment in it. I give his "I only did it once" claims a little more weight than most. I always liked Zabel.
I didn't figure he would admit either. I'm sure he's not being completely truthful about the timeframe though. Come on.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Even though I wasn't expecting it and I'm definitely disappointed, I can't say I'm surprised. Sad but true, I'm not surprised to hear an admission from anyone anymore, especially from those who have been in the game a long time.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I didn't figure he would admit either. I'm sure he's not being completely truthful about the timeframe though. Come on.
Maybe I'd just like to believe it because I always liked Zabel. If this sort of admission came from almost anyone else, I'd probably dismiss it outright.

In any case, I don't really hold it against him that much. If I were in his situation, I may have done the same thing. I mean, basically everyone else did.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ask a heroin addict trying to keep his job how many times he's used..."Only once...ten years ago. I tried it and didn't like it."

Uh huh...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Does anyone know what role, if any, the current team has with its past riders coming forth with their histories? Is the team urging its past riders to admit their faults, or is it simply standing aside and watching as a bystander?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The bombs keep dropping. I'll speculate that with all the other testimony, it was inevitable it would come out so decided to come clean...either that or somebody else already testified about his doping and in light of the 8 year limitation they gave him the chance to out himself.