Quantcast

T.H.E. neoprene mud guards!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just got the items in and ran them today, initial report is good.
Aside of bottoming the fork a few times and it getting sucked up a smidge (my fault) they kept a TON of mud from flying up and in front of me.
They install extremely easy as well as hold there form.

The material handled the Dirty Dans grabbing them and ripping at them really well, no marks or tears and I adjusted the tension afterwards but figured Id see if they would rip... They are stout, the stitching is really well done on the rubber peices top and bottom that the velcro goes through.
I first thought the slits for the velcro on the rubber would rip out first time it got hooked and it didnt, the seams and stitching held there course and NO ISSUES! No I didnt get them to just abuse but YES I did leave it loose to see if it would infact rip off and be done...
A really good product that works really well, 2 :thumb:'s up for the little things...

Heres a tip:
Sizes are S, M, L, XL and the L is 160-180mm xl is 200mm + BUT if you are XL running a drop crown on your Boxxers get the large and preload it a bit or else its really loose. If you are running a tall crown then you are fine with the XL.

Just thought Id put this up, they came in this week and we have muddy terrain so no better place to give them a run down.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whoa, so neoguard either sold them the design or is producing them for THE. It's identical in every way. We have been running them for 3 years now, they are great.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Whoa, so neoguard either sold them the design or is producing them for THE. It's identical in every way. We have been running them for 3 years now, they are great.

Can you share some thoughts about durability? If they last for 3 years I might get one, otherwise I'm satisfied with zip ties and innertube.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can you share some thoughts about durability? If they last for 3 years I might get one, otherwise I'm satisfied with zip ties and innertube.
Great durability, i hose mine off and it's good to go. Also, it wont scratch up your fork and wear out paint like zipties do on a tube. And it looks much less ghetto.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Great durability, i hose mine off and it's good to go. Also, it wont scratch up your fork and wear out paint like zipties do on a tube. And it looks much less ghetto.
Thanks! There what Transcend said! :thumb:

Yeah I literally bottomed and had the dirty dan grab a handfull of that thing and try and rip it but it held on. Its tougher than it looks and alot of it is beacause it has the rubber sewn to top and bottom.

Yeah if a tires not trying to eat it everyride and its installed correctly (which wouldnt make for a good durability test) it can easily last a few years. Mine held up to the abuse with no rips or tearing, so under normal use PERFECT!
Its quality materials as well as a great design none the less!

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
I am just using velcro cable ties instead of zip ties. Like this one:

Works great. And probably you can get it in every DIY store.
Instead of an innertube I'm using an old neoprene shock protector now, and it's great too.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Yeah they must have done.. Not that patents mean anything these days, but neoguard do show off that their guard has one!

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
As transcend said its a complete rip off?
Maybe RRP doesnt have a worldwide patent?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The ultimate in mud shield technology, neoprene and velcro.

Srsly? You guys are arguing about someone ripping off someone else's piece of neoprene with velcro attached? Wow, ya its so novel and patentable. Genius design. I bet they spent thousands of hours doing R&D on this! Jesus gimme a break. I can't believe this is even a product. What suckers would pay for this?

Edit:
For a patent:

the invention which must be new, non-obvious, and useful or industrially applicable.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
the RRP does say patent pending on it
Maybe, but I'd like to see
A. It actually get awarded that patent (big difference between patented and pending)
B. It hold up in court

People patent the most garbage stuff these days. I've got a few patents myself. All of them are about 50000000x more patentable than this junk, and even 1 or 2 of them are borderline not-patentable IMO (but hey, these men upstairs seem to think the are so who cares)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The ultimate in mud shield technology, neoprene and velcro.

. I can't believe this is even a product. What suckers would pay for this?

new, non-obvious, and useful or industrially applicable.

Man I wonder why you are so angry at a peice of velcro, or that it actually is selling!!!!
Man those idiots that wear goggles what a sucker and dont get me started on handlebars those guys are weenies, they just need to learn to lean hard to steer!
Then the suckers dont pay for grips or brake levers and save on a stem!

Seriousley why did this thread get you so jacked?

Based on anger I assume you are an engineer!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Seriousley why did this thread get you so jacked?
B.S. patents. One of my (many) pet peeves. :(. Plus I'm angry right now. Waiting for people to call me back to go riding, and everyone seems to be bailing ATM, or busy, or out of town, so I might have to go ride by myself.

Edit:
Found someone to go ride with, seriously awesome ride, damn I love jesusita.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
B.S. patents. One of my (many) pet peeves. :(. Plus I'm angry right now. Waiting for people to call me back to go riding, and everyone seems to be bailing ATM, or busy, or out of town, so I might have to go ride by myself.
Feel your pain on the riding and yeah I can see why the BS patents are irritating. This is stupid simple and agread can be a little funny to patent. LOL

I myself patended or otherwise am glad its out there, mud spatter in the eye SUCKS royal took a week for the last blood spot from a hit and scratch on the eye to heal up and that was from a wet muddy ride with gogles on.

Sorry if I came off rash! :thumb:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Bullcrew, where did you get your THE neoprene guard? I just got my THE downtube fender from my shop but he said the neoprene front guard was not listed on his distributor sheet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew, where did you get your THE neoprene guard? I just got my THE downtube fender from my shop but he said the neoprene front guard was not listed on his distributor sheet.
They just got the shipment in last week! Look on their site its on there and mixxed with the downtube fender is a GREAT combo. I was impressed on Fridays ride at the amount of Crap that didnt make it to my face! I could hear it caking on the downtube fender and see it piling up on the neoprene guard but at speed and through the stuff it wasnt flying infront of my face sticking to my goggles or even hitting me.

I will stick to this combo for nasty weather riding, considering I was running dirty dan spikes and they were clawing a heap of stuff through the air Im Impressed.....

http://www.the-industries.com/tmf-0-6.html

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What I don't get is, if it's such an improvement over a fender, then why don't mx bikes run these?

We aren't railing 80 mph like a mx so we dont need THICK fenders and protection on the bikes as well as the amount of crud a MX tire will throw compared to say a spike 2.35 mtb tire is hughley different the MX will sling a stream of crud that will destroy it with rocks etc...

Oh and MX are inverted forks!!!

Fenders work well though I have 2 T.H.E. fenders for my bike and they work great but this combined with a downtube guard actually protects me better because it keeps the mud that slings forward from coming back at me and the down tube prevents it from coming up under the helmet and goggles. I run a downtube fender wet or dry because the soft compound tires flick crap at my face constantly so I just keep that on.

Not too mention a fender has a high sitting stance when the forks not compressed keeping a large opening for mud to shoot forward and up a Neoprene mud guard keeps it tha same wether compressed or full extension. The only way for crap to sling is under the crown which is less than 1/2" so most of its already launched :D

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just an FYI, I talked to the owner of RRP and THE ARE indeed ripping the idea off. RRP's lawyers have been in contact and all of a sudden THE is now interested in a licensing agreement - as they have no other choice.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just an FYI, I talked to the owner of RRP and THE ARE indeed ripping the idea off. RRP's lawyers have been in contact and all of a sudden THE is now interested in a licensing agreement - as they have no other choice.
does their patent hold water in the US of A?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Congrats on the ride!!!!! PICS!!!!!! ALWAYS PICS!!! Or it didnt happen and you actually watched NWD in the closet on a portable dvd player!:thumb:
I'm of the opposite camp. If you're taking pics, you're not getting the most out of the ride. You're just conducting a self absorbed documentary. That's why I like races. I get to never stop riding and then hunt the net for evidence of glory.

I am told it does enough to have THE want to license now, vs rip off.
Roughly translated: It's cheaper to license than to pay an attorney. :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm of the opposite camp. If you're taking pics, you're not getting the most out of the ride. You're just conducting a self absorbed documentary. That's why I like races. I get to never stop riding and then hunt the net for evidence of glory.
NO because I like to session stuff and goof off, unless Im racing I dont care to be johny "GO" fast Id rather just ride and kick it... I can hold my own speed wise and theres always room for improvement (or else we'd all be spawns of hill and atherton :D) and like wise sessioning jumps, drops and multi shuttle runs are for fun. :thumb: