Quantcast

T Sage

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Wow, seems like there isn't a lot of support for a great magazine. You would think that the only magazine that is dedicated to the small sport we love would recieve a little more appreciation.

Does anyone else think that one of the few chances DHers have at organizing themselves is through such a magazine? There are too many forums and typical, XC-ish magazines. Waaa it's 5$... well then, don't always buy it, but it is a much higher quality than the XC magazines, and at least RESPECT it a little bit. Even if you don't read the magazine, go laugh on the website, best piece of biking journalism ever.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
dump said:
If I had to guess... probably between 1/5 and 1/10. Might as well add dirt rag to the list... I think that's around 100K
I don't know what Dirt Rag's circulation is, but I would have never guessed it would have been that high. Let's face it, unless you're an East Coast single speeder, Dirt Rag isn't geared for you. I've looked at one copy and never felt the need to look at another one...

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
There's a hugh SS contingent in SoCal, but unless you too SS you'd probably never know it. I can see Dirt Rag being that big, I can also see Decline having the circulation in about 5 years. I like the mag but hardly ever read it, I wish they'd do a full online e-zine for busy people that can't seem to find a news stand or are too lazy to sign up.

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
There has never been a good mountain bike magazine. They have always been completley filled with the latest and greatest new things that you "need" to buy. They will continue to fool riders of all ages into thinking their parts from last year are obsolete. Don't let the magazines dictate what you ride...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stinsonblvd said:
There has never been a good mountain bike magazine. They have always been completley filled with the latest and greatest new things that you "need" to buy. They will continue to fool riders of all ages into thinking their parts from last year are obsolete. Don't let the magazines dictate what you ride...
So you are riding the 1990 Stumpjumper with U Brakes and Bullhorn handlebars?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
1 Day Ago #1
shabadu
Flowtronic engineer

Decline mag in decline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I've already missed a post on this, but has anyone else read the new Dewhine, er Decline in which pretty much everyone *****es about NORBA and everything else, and then they vow not to cover Nationals next year?
Believe me, I understand the complaints about lack of prize money, crappy gated courses and..well I can't really come up with anything else..maybe some scheduling problems here and there. The complaining about feeling like an event afterthought is equal to "Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!" on the Brady Bunch. I just finshed an awesome season of racing DH, but beyond fun events, great people, great races and courses I found that DHers are focking incredible complainers. We're supposed to be the toughguys on mountain bikes, but after reading Decline's editorials, Lopes' column and that other whiny jibber kid's drivel I start to question things. Yeah Lopes, the gated courses suck...maybe you should try racing DH again ya pansy...you seemed to do well at Whistler. And Cam...you think acting like "Jackass" 4 years after that shiz was played on MTV should have sponsors chomping at the bit to give you $$? The reason Schley and the rest of the guys you bag on are making money is because they are great at marketing themselves and their sponsors. That column you had a few months ago about how hard it will be to stay "good" and sponsored and progressive for years when you are blowing your joints out once a year was humble and insightful....I think you've been hangin with the 26" Donkeys too much these days. Being a jackass just isn't that cool anymore. Citation: Viva la Bam. God that **** sucks.
But I digress....My main issue is with Decline: Does deciding not to cover these races help solve anything? The biggest problem is the lack of big time sponsor money. How will shrinking coverage in the only mag with the means and readership to adequately cover gravity racing help gravity racing? How will sponsors feel about supporting their regional racers at Nationals when they know that they won't have any chance of a sick Spomer pan shot or even a mention on a results list? How will this help draw big time sponsors that can help "heal" NORBA racing? These are my biggest questions and I want answers because the tripe in the magazine was not sufficient. HOW WILL NOT COVERING A MAJOR RACE SERIES HELP THAT RACE SERIES IMPROVE? Will they recognize the error of their ways and do eveything they can to attract Scott Hart back to the scene, maybe with nice letter and some FTD flowers? I think not. I think instead that with declining (no pun intended) coverage from people who get their paychecks to care about gravity assisted riding, NORBA will react in-line and devote even fewer resources towards gravity. (Except for Super D..that shiz is gonna blow up next year..mark my words...we might get embarrassed by tough XC guys on 5" bikes). Thats going to hurt the amateurs and growing number of semi pro and pro privateers who are trying to race as much as possible and get good results to make their sponsors happy. Maybe Decline's Socal Pro-dawg clique won't race Nationals, but I have to assume that a couple hundred pros and am will.
I would advocate the opposite. I think Decline should intensify their National race coverage. They should work with NORBA to have someone who knows and cares about gravity racing write copy for their press releases. They should publish results for Experts beyond Jr.s, hell, show top five for sport and beginnner. They aren't doing amateur racers any favors by shunning NORBA. By focusing on Pro dominated events like the US Open and Crankworks (<--with the rest of the bike mag publishing industry..how cutting edge!) they are alienating the roots of the sport. Dedicated midpack Sport and Expert racers focking rule..they are the lifeblood of this sport and deserve some consideration.
I am lucky enough to live in Colorado and I have the most excellent Mountain States Cup Series to race again next summer. I can't wait. I will be psyched to see increased coverage of such a great series of events and give mucho props to Cycle Cyndicate for the vast majority of the coordination of the events. Yet at the same time I think it is dumb and self-destructive to sever ties with NORBA in such a brutal manner, but its not all that suprising considering the bridges burned during the creation of Decline in the first place.
-Rant off.

Stumbled upon this, hmm, thought provoking.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
you guys are completely wrong about 3 things:

-tsage having a decline column
-decline's circulation
-the national series and decline's stance on it in 2006 hurting racing/the series

have fun discussing things that aren't even remotely true.

that's all...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
©2001 said:

-decline's circulation
-the national series and decline's stance on it in 2006 hurting racing/the series

that's all...
I found out yesterday you were pregnant.

Congratulations!!!

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
For every tsage thread, im starting a post a picture thread because this ****s getting rediculous!

Dan

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
©2001 said:

-decline's circulation

that's all...
It is true that Radar folded. Again. Looks like Gordon Fonseca is out of a job. Again.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
yeah, i wrote you about it a while ago...did you not get the email?

it was cool. i didn't watch more than once, but pretty cool anyways. crazy that thing was even made. (for all the lurkers, "2 seconds"...go get it on netflix)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
©2001 said:

-decline's circulation

that's all...
In the words of all the great actors of our time (Mr. T, David Hasslehoff and Eric Estrada)...
"Perception becomes reality"

Excuse me, but I have to go cool down with a frosty beverage-something to cool me down from T Sage fever.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
©2001 said:
yeah, i wrote you about it a while ago...did you not get the email?

it was cool. i didn't watch more than once, but pretty cool anyways. crazy that thing was even made. (for all the lurkers, "2 seconds"...go get it on netflix)

cool I'm glad you liked it..it was a little too artistic in some places but a pretty good full length movie about bike life though...D

I know sanjay

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
The OC
One day i would like to see some people ith some truth post on here, speaking from your ass has to get tiring. I have a column with dirt rag, i now wear ty-die and have joined peta, hippy livin aint easy.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
scurban said:
I'll discuss something that is true:

Intensified is right, Decline does whine way way too much for the "tough guys" in the industry. Suck it up and do something about your complaints instead of pointing fingers, you have the plateform.

I can't completely diss on them for their decision not to cover NORBA anymore. I made a decision not to race anymore, I got rid of gears, 26" wheels, and a front brake (all things i chose to ride because I wanted to race)
Now I just ride DJ,street, and enjoy riding my bike with friends. I have no reason to pay money for race fees when the courses suck, I have no reason to run a derailer since its just gonna break,I never really used my front brake anyways, my bike's lighter without it, and I have no reason to buy decline since they don't really support gravity racing, and I can get all the information I want on here months ahead of reading it in their magazine.
Im tired of your outspoken nonsense? You are the pot calling the kettle black. About you not running gears and all that other nonsense, NO ONE CARES. The rest of us will stick to real MTB while you keep it "real". What are you doing this whole time? Whining about Tsage and Decline's coverage and content? I don't see your lazy ass puting a magazine out in this already decimal industry. Decline does what they can, and for god sakes STOP COMMENTING ON DECLINE IF YOU DONT READ IT. They covered EVERY norba this year INCLUDING JUNIORS which i give huge props to them for. They covered all the norbas and got nothing out of it, so this year they are trying something new. Decline is the ONLY magazine that puts EVERYONES picture in it including juniors. Name a single other mag that has done that. No one cares about what you think, except i heard WWW.MYOPE.COM is looking for another F()ck a-ss to write columns which is really what you desire correct? BTW your opinion has SERIOUS weight considering you don't buy mtb parts, you don't race and your dissing on the only witty, funny and somewhat informing magazine left. Whatever mag you read I'd really like to know b/c its sounds totally perfect in every way. You're pathetic and keep up the hypocrisy, it will get you a long way.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
biker3 said:
Im tired of your outspoken nonsense? You are the pot calling the kettle black. About you not running gears and all that other nonsense, NO ONE CARES. The rest of us will stick to real MTB while you keep it "real". What are you doing this whole time? Whining about Tsage and Decline's coverage and content? I don't see your lazy ass puting a magazine out in this already decimal industry. Decline does what they can, and for god sakes STOP COMMENTING ON DECLINE IF YOU DONT READ IT. They covered EVERY norba this year INCLUDING JUNIORS which i give huge props to them for. They covered all the norbas and got nothing out of it, so this year they are trying something new. Decline is the ONLY magazine that puts EVERYONES picture in it including juniors. Name a single other mag that has done that. No one cares about what you think, except i heard WWW.MYOPE.COM is looking for another F()ck a-ss to write columns which is really what you desire correct? BTW your opinion has SERIOUS weight considering you don't buy mtb parts, you don't race and your dissing on the only witty, funny and somewhat informing magazine left. Whatever mag you read I'd really like to know b/c its sounds totally perfect in every way. You're pathetic and keep up the hypocrisy, it will get you a long way.
What happened to the good old days when you would just lay down a freestyle, and shut someone up? JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJj-Belt

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Zach Dank said:
What happened to the good old days when you would just lay down a freestyle, and shut someone up? JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJj-Belt
Finals are coming up, his brain is probably all fired up.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
scurban said:
he'll probably fail, because he's on here e-hating me, and protecting Decline when he should be studying. Again proving he's an idiot.
So your pretty much calling yourself a ****ing loser, getting all worked up about 1 or 2 teenagers on the internet. That, and making fun of a magazine when you said yourself you don't read it.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
scurban said:
Hmmm, good job, hot girl, friends to party with on the weekends, two nice cars, own my own condo in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, yeah....my life pretty much sucks.

OH, and I said things about decline, not you, you then felt the need to attack my opinion, I set the record stright with some facts, and to be honest, I'm chillin drinking a beer, not worked up at all thats another fact.
loss of respect because you bragged about knowing a hot girl on the internet

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I know sanjay said:
http://bikerfox.com/web.wmv
stik, tsage fever is over its all about the biker fox now

Mmmmm, that was wicked awesome. Goes to show you the big 3 have sheep dorks riding their bikes (Cannondale, Trek/Fisher, Specialized). Great find....

But, all that aside, I am still running a 103 degree temp, in bed with some T sage fever. 3 things I need more of in my life;
1. More Hair
2. More Lycra
3. More T-sage

And one more thing, lets all say a prayer tonight as tomm. is Howard Stern's last day on the FCC laden FM airwaves-then onto SIRIUS radio, where he will make his home for the next 5 years. Do yourself a favor and get SIRIUS. www.SIRIUS.com (yes I am a SIRIUS stockholder)

The random thoughts are spewing right now, can't sleep, sore throat, fever, I am out of meds, the baby threw up on my favorite huckfest hoodie, my camera is dusty and I need to do laundry.

Over and out-catch the fever

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know sanjay said:
One day i would like to see some people ith some truth post on here, speaking from your ass has to get tiring. I have a column with dirt rag, i now wear ty-die and have joined peta, hippy livin aint easy.
Let me ask you this: Have you been to Pittsburgh yet? I think a SoCal suburbanite, could not handle East Coast H/C.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
scurban said:
Hmmm, good job, hot girl, friends to party with on the weekends, two nice cars, own my own condo in one of the most expensive housing markets in the US, yeah....my life pretty much sucks.

OH, and I said things about decline, not you, you then felt the need to attack my opinion, I set the record stright with some facts, and to be honest, I'm chillin drinking a beer, not worked up at all thats another fact.
I would like to pretend you didn't just type that. Cheers to you!
Wanker.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
scurban said:

sweet man, you sound really cool. Type A personality. Anyway your life still sucks cuz you don't get any coverage in Decline which is basically what this comes down to? Im SURE you wouldn't be bitching if you had your own column or had some pictures in there. Keep livin it up bigpimpin, guess what Im gunna have my own house, a fratty SUV and i wont be binge drinking, ill continuously drink and the best part is all on my parents tab. Thats living it up, I dont even have a jorb, I just moan. For the record, I set the record "stright" not you. you have no real argument besides some bitchy opinion. I gave hard facts about covering juniors and the fact that Decline is going to cover the MSC series to help BOOST the sport instead of contribute to its downfall like some.....How can you hate on Decline for trying to help a smaller series get coverage? I guess you wouldnt be hating if it was you recieiving the coverage. Keep it up, your an envious punk, despite your "pimpin lifestyle" you felt so inclined to tell your internet homies. Im honestly impressed dude.