Quantcast

Tablet PC?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Doing some research about them and would like to pick one up. Though I'd like some input from my knowledgeable monkeys.

I like the look of the Toshiba, but honestly nearly all of them have the exact same specs. 5mp/2mp cameras, dual 1ghz processors, 10.1" screens. Android technology.

The biggest thing I want to know, is if there are any that can attach to my laptop and use as a design tablet.

Does anyone have experience with tablet pc's?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Unless you want an apple, I would wait. The Android ones are so new, they just aren't sorted yet. Just as with phones, the market is going to be flooded with new Android tablets in the next 1-2 years. And just as with phones, in 3 years, there will be more Andoid tablets sold than Apple, and the coorespoding app development will follow those numbers.

If you want a non-apple now, I would spend my $400 on a netbook.
If you really wanted a tablet that does flash, I would get that new Dell that is basically a huge phone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the new asus eee pad does that. i think its called the transformer. initial reviews are that its one of the better android tabs available. comes out next week i think.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Honeycomb, get it.

<edit> Hey, the transformer looks pretty bad ass. I want to see the 7" MeMO

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I can't help you with your decision, however there is a rooted Nook Color up on the Asheville craigslist right now....it's very tempting. For those that don't know, that's when some techno geek transforms the regular Nook into a full on Android tablet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A real ultraportable notebook or netbook is better since it runs real applications/OS with superior input/controls and you can just tether your phone to get Internet if you don't have local Wifi or ethernet. No jailbreaking or rooting is necessary either. Does not come with built-in spyware from the factory either like iOS and Android apps do and you have readily available free protection from unscrupulous applications.

You can get an ultraportable Core i3 ULV for around $450 if you look around (I got a 1830t at the end of last year from overstock.com) and battery life will be comparable to a tablet. The screen protector/keyboard is built-in - no extra charge - AMAZING!

The AMD Fusion platform is supposed to be decent, but its not quite good as a i3 ULV notebook. I haven't had a chance to try one yet but it sounds nicer than a typical atom netbook:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1.aspx

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375736,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/hp-pavilion-dm1z-with-amd-fusion-review/

Also, until iOS and Android tablets come standard with e-ink or other low-power sunlight friendly display mode they are pretty useless as eReaders and annoying in some indoor and most outdoor situations plus the backlight causes eyestrain in extended reading sessions. Why bother with a tablet (AKA giant smartphone) if the screen isn't any better than a netbook/ultraportable?

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can't mount a netbook in my dash, I tried.

But a 7" tablet might work...

<edit> My phone mounts in the ash tray above (not pictured)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My uncle in law got us an iPad for our wedding and I have to admit its pretty awesome. It's not a replacement for a desktop or real lappy, but it is useful outside.of.flash.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A real ultraportable notebook or netbook is better since it runs real applications/OS with superior input/controls
I know you're typically convinced that everyone must have the exact same usage patterns that you have, but there are distinct benefits to tablets depending on your use.

For media consumption and website browsing, a touch input is often a better control than a mouse. The form factor and weight is much smaller/lower and they run cooler so it's a better experience in your lap. A netbook may be small, but the tablets are MUCH smaller than even that - even the 10" tablets are less than half the thickness, and weight, which is substantial. No fans, so it's silent and there are no moving parts at all.

Plus, the app ecosystem is different. The games are designed around the hardware, instead of the PC world where most games are not designed to be run on netbooks.

There are a LOT of places where a netbook is a better answer, but tablets shouldn't be written off entirely, since intended use plays a big role. I was seriously considering a little 7" tablet for traveling despite the fact that I have a 12" lightweight Thinkpad with great battery life.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The Eee Pad looks great, and it looks like it might be up my alley. Just gotta wait for a price point for it. My biggest gripe will be that soon I will be purchasing something like this:

Since those are rather expensive, if I can get a tablet pc that I can use as a design tablet, I will be super stoked.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Eee Pad looks great, and it looks like it might be up my alley. Just gotta wait for a price point for it. My biggest gripe will be that soon I will be purchasing something like this:

Since those are rather expensive, if I can get a tablet pc that I can use as a design tablet, I will be super stoked.
LOL. ok. yea. if that's the level of design youre doing, a tablet probably isn't gonna cut it.

did you really just compare a wacom to a tablet? :facepalm:

also, the asus eepad transformer I mentioned is gonna be $400. The "dock" station that will turn it into a laptop is an extra $150.

in regards to your usage, I don't think there's any real design tools available for android.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
LOL. ok. yea. if that's the level of design youre doing, a tablet probably isn't gonna cut it.

did you really just compare a wacom to a tablet? :facepalm:

also, the asus eepad transformer I mentioned is gonna be $400. The "dock" station that will turn it into a laptop is an extra $150.

in regards to your usage, I don't think there's any real design tools available for android.
See thats what I needed to hear. I was chatting with some guy at the apple store about the ipad, and he mentioned that they are trying to create aps for Adobe illustrator and such, but that he thought the windows tablet was a bit further along than the ipad. So he planted the seed that made me wonder about this.

In all honesty, I thought it would be a fat chance but it doesn't hurt to ask.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well fwiw Asus also sells the eee slate that runs full blown windows 7. so you'd def be able to get adobe suite on it. price point is like 11 or 12 hundred tho. at that point i'd say the money would be better invested towards a wacom.

at this point, tablets are still just casual devices. any content creating / editing software is going to be intended for home/personal use - like editing some pics for the family, or some home movies. If you're gonna be doing serious professional design work I'd still recommend a proper workstation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well, depending on what your end goal is there are some options.

adobe makes an app called Ideas for the ipad. It's a fairly basic sketch program, but does allow you to use layers.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-ideas/id364617858?mt=8

They're also working on a scaled down version of photoshop that might be out by end of year. Still wouldn't be full blown PS, but would give you the basic editing tools for doing web images.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, if you look around, there are some less expensive win based tablets. a quick google turned up the dell insprion duo (i had forgotten about this) its a combo device, its a laptop, but the screen can pop off to be used as a tablet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know you're typically convinced that everyone must have the exact same usage patterns that you have, but there are distinct benefits to tablets depending on your use.

useless unrelated banter
I know you have a difficult time comprehending but the gist of OP his primary use for this device was design work. Its true a ultraportable or netbook does not have a touchscreen but such products are not yet mature. A real laptop is far superior which is why Apple promotes notebook for such mobile work especially prosumers/professionals.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you want to finger paint, you might be able to hack something up in 6 months with a tablet.

Just suck it up and get a Intuos if you can't spring for a Cintiq.

If you're really hard up, Monoprice has tablets for ~$40 that are 90% as good as an Intuos.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I will be making swag stuff for my company with it mostly. T-Shirts, stickers, headbadges, etc. I thought about one of those little Bamboo's but I'd really like to try one, as I have heard they are a bit glitchy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hate apple but the iPad is simple and efficient for surfing and stupid crap. Not really to the op's point but it's cool. actually, after a week on the pad the pc was hard to use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
winderp ocho.

also, i recently purchased a tab. OG samsung galaxy. will be here saturday. only running android 2.2, but supposedly there is a stable build of gingerbread for it. more importantly someone is working on a honeycomb build for it

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am still holding out for a cheap 7" honeycomb pad with no phone. Asus MEMO is still the leader, now with "glassesless" 3D.

<edit> The ViewPad 7x is also possible, if they ever publish a price.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
If you're gonna be doing serious professional design work I'd still recommend a proper workstation..
I KNEW this thread could not go on without the usage of the word "proper" at least once by somebody :D

But, to keep this thread on topic, I would love to know from some of you techie-saavy guys if there exists a tablet that allows me to run my Nikon View NX software to download pics direct from the camera.

My primary focus right now in my business is going around to these arts festivals and selling my painted engravings and am wanting to run credit card processing software like the Square/MacAlly, etc swipers, and for that, I really like Apple's WiFi access, but to have your pics, you need do do the whole iTunes download dance, and that's just one extra step I would love to eliminate.....I get it, though....emerging technology and these things aren't quite at that point yet...no problem with just bringing my laptop, but my goal is to get down to the barest essentials and lighten up as much as possible because I'm lugging enough sh*t around as it stands. Lots of these places don't have electricity, or your have to pay extra for it, and I like the battery potential of the tablets, that's all.....

Any suggestions?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My primary focus right now in my business is going around to these arts festivals and selling my painted engravings and am wanting to run credit card processing software like the Square/MacAlly, etc swipers, and for that, I really like Apple's WiFi access, but to have your pics, you need do do the whole iTunes download dance, and that's just one extra step I would love to eliminate.....
http://www.eye.fi/products/mobilex2
or
http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you need a phone contract for the OG tabs? I don't need no stinking phone.
no. tho the wifi only version is actually a slightly different hardware spec for some reason (might be thinking of another tab, tho, few sheets to the wind here).

but no, if you get a 3g model you don't need a contract. the version i snagged was the sprint 3g version, but no contract.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Please do, if it's worth it I'll end up doing the same.
from what i've heard a (mostly) stable build will be out this weekend. code's available now if you know how to compile it. i wont have my device in hand until sunday night (away at mt snow this weekend). so i probably wont have a chance to start tinkering until next weekend. i'll def post up if i get it running.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Look....I purposely left the quote non-denominational so as not to ruffle your feathers, but since you're paying attention, you got any suggestions? :D
no. not into that photo stuff so much. but i know that some companies make wifi equipped SD cards. Like what steve posted.