Quantcast

Tacticool / carry every day

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I pack a lighter in my bike tool kits.
I carried a knife when I had a use for one. I bought my Gerber Gator after boot camp and has seen it's worth of use. It was a first production run blade. I've been a fan ever since. But if I had a knife now it would be for stabbing people.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I carried a knife when I had a use for one. I bought my Gerber Gator after boot camp and has seen it's worth of use. It was a first production run blade. I've been a fan ever since. But if I had a knife now it would be for stabbing people.
Stabbing them with semi-blunt objects is moar fun, a friend told me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't carry shit. Litterally, it's my car key and the bare minimum of credit cards, membership cards and ID. All which fit into a very small card "wallet" (This ain't George Costanza's wallet!) And that's if I'm driving around doing adult/family things.

On the bike it gets even less. Until I find that elusive "Giant Kitteh" knife that I can strap to my top tube for self defense maneuvers. :) (I posted on the downhill forum). It's really just ID, Health Insurance, and a CC to cover the gap between Health Insurance and hospital cost. Okay, maybe for the post ride liquor store beer purchase. You got me there!

@scrublover I find it interesting that you carry a "clamp scissor" (or whatever it's called) on you for work. My wife has....uhh....donated some of those to me. And while I think it's a super clever tool, I haven't found a need to actually use it....yet. And it's been years. Any MTB real-world examples to share?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What are you, a Neanderthal?

Since this is now a pocket dump thread, I’ll think about putting on some pants and dumping out my pockets.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I don't carry shit. Litterally, it's my car key and the bare minimum of credit cards, membership cards and ID. All which fit into a very small card "wallet" (This ain't George Costanza's wallet!) And that's if I'm driving around doing adult/family things.

On the bike it gets even less. Until I find that elusive "Giant Kitteh" knife that I can strap to my top tube for self defense maneuvers. :) (I posted on the downhill forum). It's really just ID, Health Insurance, and a CC to cover the gap between Health Insurance and hospital cost. Okay, maybe for the post ride liquor store beer purchase. You got me there!

@scrublover I find it interesting that you carry a "clamp scissor" (or whatever it's called) on you for work. My wife has....uhh....donated some of those to me. And while I think it's a super clever tool, I haven't found a need to actually use it....yet. And it's been years. Any MTB real-world examples to share?
Oh man. Yeah, they get used *a lot* at work.

Have several sizes and shapes at home as well. Can think of nothing specific, but they have been useful many, many times.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Have transitioned to a cheaper knife and fancier flashlight with great success.

ESEE Zancudo & Olight Warrior mini 2.

Only gripe is the flashlight turns on in my pocket sometimes. Even with that gripe, the battery seems to last for weeks on end.

118639.jpeg

118641.jpeg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Only gripe is the flashlight turns on in my pocket sometimes. Even with that gripe, the battery seems to last for weeks on end.

Stopped carrying my Warrior for that reason, burned holes in multiple pairs of shorts. Seemed to only happenwhen I had something else in my pocket that pressed the tail-cap, and allegedly there's a way to lock the thing out (three clicks on the side switch or something) but I never got it to work.

Back to carrying my Olight i3T, not the brightest, but it's been a solid little light.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
(not all mtb) this is maybe half of mine
IMG_0080.JPG
the angled tip ones and offset one are very handy

holding hard to reach bolts/nuts/screws to get them in place or get them out

reupholstered several SLR saddles - used them to hold the kevlar in place while the glue dried

pulling the fuel lines through when rebuilding my chainsaw carb

needle holder/driven when sewing or repairing tough fabrics

several hard to reach bits while replacing the drier drive belt, cleaning/greasing the stand mixer

all sorts of other weird random house/car/bike shit

the blunt nose scissors are great to snip/cut/trim things without accidentally (drunk shop work!) poking holes

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Haven't used hemostats in decades. Forgotten how useful they can be, thanks @scrublover. We used them to hold crowns by the margin while egnamaling them at a dental lab. I have a few pairs collecting dust somewhere on my soldering bench. Hmmm...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
(not all mtb) this is maybe half of mineView attachment 169659 the angled tip ones and offset one are very handy

holding hard to reach bolts/nuts/screws to get them in place or get them out

reupholstered several SLR saddles - used them to hold the kevlar in place while the glue dried

pulling the fuel lines through when rebuilding my chainsaw carb

needle holder/driven when sewing or repairing tough fabrics

several hard to reach bits while replacing the drier drive belt, cleaning/greasing the stand mixer

all sorts of other weird random house/car/bike shit

the blunt nose scissors are great to snip/cut/trim things without accidentally (drunk shop work!) poking holes
Awesome set of roach clips dude! :drag:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Opaque Belt in Kung Fu. Carry nothing but the required legally registered Fists of fury, and a badass pry bar. It's a Craftsman from Ace hardware so I not worried about the lifetime warranty. Even though I actually bought it from Sears.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No wallet needed anymore. You can pay electronically everywhere and you drivers license and SS card is all digital now.
I still don't really love the idea that I stop being able to pay for things or prove who I am if my phone dies.

Don't get me wrong, I pay for stuff with my phone all the time, but I still carry a wallet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't trust my phone to do anything financial.
Your phone is probably more trustworthy than your computer assuming you didn't buy XinGin's Super Amazing Giga-Core High Performing Most Amazing Super Phone from the XinGin Most Awesome Amazon Store.

The tightly integrated components/OS, required secure enclaves, heavy sandboxing and granular permissions of all the apps... from a practical perspective, it's generally a more secure platform for most users.

It's certainly possible to turn your laptop into into something super secure, but it requires a lot more care.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I still don't really love the idea that I stop being able to pay for things or prove who I am if my phone dies.

Don't get me wrong, I pay for stuff with my phone all the time, but I still carry a wallet.
I have never in my life randomly had to prove who I am in Denmark. The places I need to I know like doctor etc I know to have a charged phone just like I used to remember to bring my wallet.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Your phone is probably more trustworthy than your computer assuming you didn't buy XinGin's Super Amazing Giga-Core High Performing Most Amazing Super Phone from the XinGin Most Awesome Amazon Store.

The tightly integrated components/OS, required secure enclaves, heavy sandboxing and granular permissions of all the apps... from a practical perspective, it's generally a more secure platform for most users.

It's certainly possible to turn your laptop into into something super secure, but it requires a lot more care.
Sure, but here people have their banking app, their health insurance card, their digital identification (NEM ID), their e-mail, social media and their text messages all on one device. If you split things over different devices and even keep some non digital, don't you think that would make it harder to hack someone?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Forget phone dying, half the time either the store I’m at doesn’t accept any of the half dozen payment methods on my phone, or their shit just doesn’t work. Love the concept of tap-to-pay cards, but they don’t work particularly well either, at least not here. Over there in Europe it was super convenient, here it’s just me whacking the terminal with my card looking like a moron.

Minimalist RFID blocking wallet FTW! I leave the phone at the house all the time, but never my wallet.

There is a continuing stream of very low level hacks that affect phones. It's particularly exacerbated by people installing lots of applications, which are probably the primary entrance point for hacks.

I'm more confident in my Windows environment and still do a lot of transactions using checks or cash.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sure, but here people have their banking app, their health insurance card, their digital identification (NEM ID), their e-mail, social media and their text messages all on one device. If you split things over different devices and even keep some non digital, don't you think that would make it harder to hack someone?
Maybe. It depends on the definition of "hack someone." Would it make it more difficult to know everything about their life all at once if people had some totally non-digital parts to their life? Sure. So you keep your health insurance card in your wallet, maybe. You're going to carry two phones, one for email and one for text messages? You just can't keep most of this offline, and without a lot of careful, deliberate and inconvenient work, total compromise of one device is likely to provide sufficient information to jump into other devices or accounts.

Phones default to a much more secure state than a laptop, and enforce much more granular and rigid security boundaries.

There is a continuing stream of very low level hacks that affect phones. It's particularly exacerbated by people installing lots of applications, which are probably the primary entrance point for hacks.
Sorta. There are a few very low level hacks, like ForcedEntry (which I recommend anyone who is even remotely interested in cybersecurity read Google's ProjectZero assessment of, because it's a fucking amazing hack).

But a big part of security is risk assessment, and these low level attacks were primarily created and abused by nation states. If part of your risk profile is protecting yourself against Israel's largest cyber defense contractor, well, good luck to you. These hacks are both incredibly unlikely and virtually impossible to effectively defend against.

It's far more likely that you'll be a victim of a garden-variety zero-day remote code execution bug, which would (likely) give an attacker root access on your laptop but would not give them root access on your phone. Microsoft has patched half a dozen of these in the last year, far more than Android and Apple combined.

And sure, installing unnecessary apps is a risk surface - but you know that, and you aren't doing that, and the same thing holds true for your laptop, so that's really not a phone vs. laptop discussion.

Everyone should do what they want and they feel comfortable with. I'm just saying that most people had their security profile dramatically improve when they switched from banking on their laptop to banking on their phone.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe. It depends on the definition of "hack someone." Would it make it more difficult to know everything about their life all at once if people had some totally non-digital parts to their life? Sure. So you keep your health insurance card in your wallet, maybe. You're going to carry two phones, one for email and one for text messages? You just can't keep most of this offline, and without a lot of careful, deliberate and inconvenient work, total compromise of one device is likely to provide sufficient information to jump into other devices or accounts.

Phones default to a much more secure state than a laptop, and enforce much more granular and rigid security boundaries.

Sorta. There are a few very low level hacks, like ForcedEntry (which I recommend anyone who is even remotely interested in cybersecurity read Google's ProjectZero assessment of, because it's a fucking amazing hack).

But a big part of security is risk assessment, and these low level attacks were primarily created and abused by nation states. If part of your risk profile is protecting yourself against Israel's largest cyber defense contractor, well, good luck to you. These hacks are both incredibly unlikely and virtually impossible to effectively defend against.

It's far more likely that you'll be a victim of a garden-variety zero-day remote code execution bug, which would (likely) give an attacker root access on your laptop but would not give them root access on your phone. Microsoft has patched half a dozen of these in the last year, far more than Android and Apple combined.

And sure, installing unnecessary apps is a risk surface - but you know that, and you aren't doing that, and the same thing holds true for your laptop, so that's really not a phone vs. laptop discussion.

Everyone should do what they want and they feel comfortable with. I'm just saying that most people had their security profile dramatically improve when they switched from banking on their laptop to banking on their phone.
My issue with phones is I don't want 346 "apps" for everything that is done online. My laptop has one app, it's called Chrome. Ergonomically, this is a disaster on phones. Phone lizards need to get this figured out, rather than never-ending adding of "apps"...No business, I do not want to download your fucking app!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My issue with phones is I don't want 346 "apps" for everything that is done online. My laptop has one app, it's called Chrome. Ergonomically, this is a disaster on phones. Phone lizards need to get this figured out, rather than never-ending adding of "apps"...No business, I do not want to download your fucking app!
There's no fucking reason that these dicks can't get their UX designers to put together a halfway decent mobile website. If you can build a mobile app UI, you can build a website UI.

It annoys me. I usually just suck it up and use the ergonomically poor website; the only apps I download and install are ones that materially improve my life, or things that I use constantly.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Been carrying this Leatherman daily for a month. Replaced a screwdriver and my knife. So far it's still in my pocket. It's bigger than I thought I would like but relatively disappears.

Resized_20220331_220223.jpeg

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Got any Shirogorovs in the collection?

Seems like that's where people go after they satisfy their Grimsmo desires.
Yeah, NO. No russian knives for me. I am still waiting for a win in the Rask "lottery", then I am done with folders - welp maaaaybeee a nice Zaan Tanto some day. Fixed blades - that's a different story. :panic:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah, NO. No russian knives for me. I am still waiting for a win in the Rask "lottery", then I am done with folders - welp maaaaybeee a nice Zaan Tanto some day. Fixed blades - that's a different story. :panic:
Fixed blades are fun to collect. Have you got into Randall? Modern fixed blades are cool but my ww2 CASE M3 is my favorite.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fixed blades are fun to collect. Have you got to into Randall? Modern fixed blades are cool but my ww2 CASE M3 is my favorite.
In the past, I bought a few knives from small american shops like Bark River or L.T.Wright. My last two knives are from Fiddleback Forge. Take a look, the guy makes amazing knives. And I mean a guy, not a factory.