Quantcast

Tag composite wheels

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I can tell you a couple things about them:

1. They use DT Swiss hub internals, which is a good thing.
2. They're ridiculously heavy.
3. You can't true them, which is a bad thing.
4. I think they're really expensive.
5. They're still ridiculously heavy.
6. They're ugly.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
I can tell you a couple things about them:

1. They use DT Swiss hub internals, which is a good thing.
2. They're ridiculously heavy.
3. You can't true them, which is a bad thing.
4. I think they're really expensive.
5. They're still ridiculously heavy.
6. They're ugly.
i have to agree with everything but the truing part, you dont need to true them... and i think if you never want to buy new wheels again and your not worried about weight there the way to go... they have a set on one of the rental bikes at diablo and it has never EVER had an issue.. oh btw you forgot to mention that they are heavy!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
TAG Wheels® to introduce new carbon fiber and composite wheels at Interbike

Newport Beach, Calif. (September 10, 2008) TAG Wheels(R), the U.S manufacturer of composite bicycle wheels significantly expands its product line to offer cross country, all mountain, and BMX wheels with its stylish tri-spoke models.

The company has built a strong reputation on its popular and reliable FRX5 wheels made for freeride and downhill. Utilizing the same advanced technology the new lighter weight TR3 models offer excellent versatility, a long lifespan and more.

The new 26" TR3 wheels are tough and built to last with a proven shock absorbing hollow formed design and reinforced aluminum rim. The wheels provide a sturdy and responsive ride due to an integrally molded rib inside each spoke and the load-dispersing wheel design. A reliable industry-recognized 4-pawl drive hub provides precision engagement and sealed cartridge bearings make for a smooth ride. The wheels require no truing as the hub is factory aligned and permanently bonded creating an extraordinarily convenient ride for today s riders.

The TR3 wheels come in both carbon fiber composite and an advanced impact modified composite material. They are available in disc brake and caliper brake models. Plus, riders can personalize wheels by selecting from a range of vibrant colors. In addition the "Molded-In" color process ensures colors won't chip.

"Our wheels provide long term value in a classic stylish look," says Mike Thomas V.P of TAG Wheels. "The wheels are extremely easy to use, offer a great ride, and with MSRP starting at just $429 per set our TR3 wheels are affordable for any rider."

TAG Wheels(R) will debut the TR3 wheels at Interbike in Las Vegas on Sept 24-26.

Distributors and Dealers are invited to Booth #6833 to see the new wheels and to learn more about TAG Wheel's Special Interbike Incentives.

For more information on TAG Wheels check out www.tagwheels.com.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
The Tag reps at Sea Otter wouldn't tell me the weight of them or they didn't know the weight. All they told me were the wrong weights on some popular wheels, deemax, some Alex rims and a 823, and said their wheels were 'only a bit more'.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
By heavy, we mean Impressivly heavy, but they actually ride well, and take a pretty good beating. I got to ride a set at Fontana this year and I was actually impressed with them. Dont think I am ready to lose my standard wheels and hop on the bandwagon yet, but if I was given a set, I would put the hurt on them for sometime

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The Tag reps at Sea Otter wouldn't tell me the weight of them or they didn't know the weight. All they told me were the wrong weights on some popular wheels, deemax, some Alex rims and a 823, and said their wheels were 'only a bit more'.
We tested some at rays onces. I have a hugi FR laced to an intense mag 30 on my hardtail in front, and it was NOTICEABLY heavier. Can't tell you weights exactly, but same hub, and a heavy rim, and it was still heavier.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I took a good look at their setup.

8 1/2 pound wheelset before tires/tubes/cassette/rotors, with retarded-narrow inside dimention. A crash replacement policy that lets you replace your wheel twice, for the "awesome cheap" price of lacing a King HD rear each time.

I'm curious about their new stuff, but am not holding my breath...
A heavy, expensive, one-piece wheel just doesn't have a place in DH where you'll be killing rims evy couple months but able to keep running the same hub for years. Being able to relace is nice.