Quantcast

Tahoe rides this weekend?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm heading up to Tahoe this weekend for some riding, xc/trail/epic/whatever style. Other than Northstar I've done Toad's and that's about it. Any good suggestions? Anyone going to be around? I'll probably drive up early from SF, hope to be riding by around 11 or so.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm set but got any suggestions on a place to stay in the Tahoe City area?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
I'm heading up to Tahoe this weekend for some riding, xc/trail/epic/whatever style. Other than Northstar I've done Toad's and that's about it. Any good suggestions? Anyone going to be around? I'll probably drive up early from SF, hope to be riding by around 11 or so.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm set but got any suggestions on a place to stay in the Tahoe City area?
heya. i'm doing toad's on saturday and christmas dh on sunday. if you're on the south shore i'd say do xmas. i dig it. but i do it as a shuttle.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
amydalayna said:
heya. i'm doing toad's on saturday and christmas dh on sunday. if you're on the south shore i'd say do xmas. i dig it. but i do it as a shuttle.

Hmm, I've heard of xmas but don't know it. Is that near Toad's? I can shuttle three or four bikes...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Hmm, I've heard of xmas but don't know it. Is that near Toad's? I can shuttle three or four bikes...
xmas is near toad's. you start in relatively the same place, but instead of heading out towards oneidas... you loop down into xmas valley. it's a little shorter then toad's.

lemme know if you wanna try and meet up sunday morning...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I was planning to bring my heckler which is set up kinda burly trail like - great for stuff like Toad's, D-ville, etc. I can bring my vp-free if there are good shuttle options but it's pretty much set up for DH and is not fun to pedal very far.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I plan to check out a new (to me) trail that is supposed to be more DH but I've never ridden it so I can't say for sure. I believe the trail Amy mentioned is suitable for a big bike but I've never ridden that either, I'd be up for driving down to meet up with her on sunday morning if you want someone to go with. I live on the north shore by the way.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
I was planning to bring my heckler which is set up kinda burly trail like - great for stuff like Toad's, D-ville, etc. I can bring my vp-free if there are good shuttle options but it's pretty much set up for DH and is not fun to pedal very far.
if you don't like to pedal the vp-free than i'd say bring the heckler. that's my vote.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
amydalayna said:
if you don't like to pedal the vp-free than i'd say bring the heckler. that's my vote.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's pretty versatile.

I've never done the flume trail and was thinking about that for Saturday - worth doing? Some say yes, even though the riding is not too challenging. Others tell me it's a newbie parade and I should steer clear. Either way, it would be great to meet up Sunday for that xmas ride - what time and where were you thinking? Still not positive where I'm staying but it shouldn't really matter. I don't know the area very well so, uh, the more specific you can be the better...drop me a pm if it's not for public consumption. And the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's pretty versatile.

I've never done the flume trail and was thinking about that for Saturday - worth doing? Some say yes, even though the riding is not too challenging. Others tell me it's a newbie parade and I should steer clear. Either way, it would be great to meet up Sunday for that xmas ride - what time and where were you thinking? Still not positive where I'm staying but it shouldn't really matter. I don't know the area very well so, uh, the more specific you can be the better...drop me a pm if it's not for public consumption. And the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
i have never done the flume trail either. everyone says it's kinda wussy, but i don't mind a good xc run. i think i should do it just so i have an educated opinion of it.

maybe 10ish on sunday? i'll have to get back to you on that. need to consult with the better half. but 10 is usually a good time. and that leaves a good amount of time to either go a second time or do hawley grade, or whatever.

It might be too confusing to give directions to the parking area.
The best I can describe it is that it's at the bottom of Hawley Grade. I'm horrible with directions...

Lira's supermarket parking lot might be the best bet to meet up at...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
The flume trail is basically good for the view. I don't think it's worth riding more than once a season and I live 10 mins from it. If you are looking for nice scenery but also want to combine that with some less traveled quality single track then I would recommend the section of the rim trail from MT Rose meadows heading towards Spooner summit, and if you really wanted you could still tie the flume trail into the end of that ride. good maps can be found at http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet, we are set for 10am on Sunday at the base of Hawley Grade for at least one xmas run, hopefully more. I'll be in a black Cherokee.

Dan, I'll let you know about Saturday, that sounds pretty good too and I am wide open...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dfinn said:
Amy? Bueller? did someone steal your internet connection?
oh. hey there. OGRipper said 10 at the bottom of Hawley Grade was good, so i thought he talked to you.

Lira's is on 50. But do you wanna meet at the bottom of Hawley Grade?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
ok, i'll get the info from him. see you sunday. and if you guys want to come up to check out a trail or 2 with us on saturday you are definitely welcome. the more the better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just a quick post to say thanks to DFinn and AmyD for showing me some good stuff this weekend. I had a great time, the weather was perfect, trails were awesome, and it was good to meet you guys and your SO's (and riding pals). The weekend really got me stoked on the trails around Tahoe, tasty stuff for sure. I usually just ride Northstar when up there but I realize I've been missing out. Super fun.

:thumb:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Just a quick post to say thanks to DFinn and AmyD for showing me some good stuff this weekend. I had a great time, the weather was perfect, trails were awesome, and it was good to meet you guys and your SO's (and riding pals). The weekend really got me stoked on the trails around Tahoe, tasty stuff for sure. I usually just ride Northstar when up there but I realize I've been missing out. Super fun.

:thumb:
heya. no problem at all. the more the merrier. and having more people always makes the shuttling all that much easier.
this weekend was one of those perfect end of the season riding weekends. hard to believe snow will be here soon enough with days that beautiful.
am hoping i get one more weekend before the snow kicks in. just one more....