Quantcast

Tail building

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey guys i was wondering if you can give me some pointers, to help me with my trail build idea, i would like to build a solum course, but the ground i have is too rock hard, and i cant really dig with just a shovel. Also i was wondering what should the radius of the berm be and how far apart should the jumps be from the berms, so this course is probably the coolest thing out there, meaning there will be no problems hiting the jukmps and then going right into the berms or vis versa, thank you for your help

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Just buy some dirt and have it delivered. It won't cost much. THen just build, then ride, then if it doesn't feel right, reshape it and try again.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i know but i am going to build a biger one down at the more mesa...how about you donate the dirt..come on buy dirt i never heard of such a rediculas thing

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey not a bad idea i might show it to a couple of my friends that are oging to help me build...i have to see if they agree

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Buying dirt isn't actually all that ridiculous for hardpacked areas like you've mentioned... Let me guess... You are 11-13 yo?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
corey_dcstreet said:
tail building? maybe give this a shot:

otherwise, you should build a pump track
want to explain to me what this thing need and how to build it htough, if i do it i want to do it right

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i have thighs of steel i will be okay but i don't know about you patrick

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
zmtber said:
want to explain to me what this thing need and how to build it htough, if i do it i want to do it right
I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you use punctuation, it helps people understand what you are trying to say.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
people are like that because they want to actually be able to read posts, not have to decifer(sp?) them. F**k you stupid kids from SB piss me off so much. you in no way say anything worth saying, go to pinkbike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
snoopz666 said:
people are like that because they want to actually be able to read posts, not have to decifer(sp?) them. F**k you stupid kids from SB piss me off so much. you in no way say anything worth saying, go to pinkbike.
Maybe not the funniest post ever, but close.

MD

Sep 29, 2004
DH SB RIDER said:
dude why do you guys car you adviously can understand it, please stop being such gramer freaks

They get after you guys so much about simply bcause they dont like you... most people in the forum dont

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
DH SB RIDER said:
dude why do you guys car you adviously can understand it, please stop being such gramer freaks

Are you kidding? "adviously" I'm in 12th grade and let me tell you, if that post was not a joke you are going straight to a minimum wage job.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Kopiklokoli said:
Are you kidding? "adviously" I'm in 12th grade and let me tell you, if that post was not a joke you are going straight to a minimum wage job.
Roll with me to rDUB to get another rack, I don't wanna go alone

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
My advice for you, is wait until the rainy season starts so the ground is softer, then dig. Ideally you could get an area that has a water supply nearby (like a hose). A pump track would be a good start, or take tips from the Sand Hill DS course which kicks ass.

And don't worry about how far away jumps should be and all that. When you build it just do some guessing, and if it doesn't work out then move the stuff around.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey you guys look if oyur not going to adress the question that just pm the guy that is spelling or is gramaticaly wrong okay

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i dont normally sound off on things like this but seriously dude i hope its just a case of your fingers being faster than your brain, otherwise well it aint looking too good...

its not so much as being grammer freaks, its more like this is a message board where the primary means of communication are words that are read so its quite helpful when an honest effort is made to post them with a small degree of accuracy.

J

JRB

zmtber said:
hey you guys look if oyur not going to adress the question that just pm the guy that is spelling or is gramaticaly wrong okay
So you are saying I should send you a PM??? :think:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
if all your building is a pump track, find a nice spade shovel. You need a source of water, be it a hose or the rainy season, to make the dirt softer. And if its hard still, before you start shoveling break up the dirt with a pick axe, or rent one of those roto-tillers that turns hard dirt into nice, soft, shoveling pleasure. Then shovel, shovel, shovel. After its shaped to your specifications its time to pack the dirt and then pack it some more. You can use the back of the shovel to pack, or buy a tamper to pack it. You can use bike tires to pack em too. Then take your bike that you just packed the dirt with and ride your new trails. If it doesnt feel good, then break out the shovel and re shape em.

Once you finish your trails and you like the way they ride, their going to need maintanence. When theyre really dry and you ride they will crumble eventually. So if you have a hose nearby, its best to water them down before and during the ride. Not enough to make em muddy but to keep the dust down.

Also if you try to build your trails in dry dirt, its gonna SUCK. they wont shape well or pack well and ride even worse. The most important thing in building good trails that will last a long time is quality of the dirt and water.

and its not ridiculous to bring in dirt for trails. I know people that have done that when the dirt on their property wasnt up to par.

slalom trails need a downhill slope to build on.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
alright thank you boostindoubles that is the kind of information i was looking for, not for everyone to put me down for things i do not do anymore. what if i have some hippy problems if you know what i mean

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
when i man hippys, i mean that he last time i was building a jump a hippy old lady came when i was gone and broke my jump, and broke my shovel and skrewd up everything that i had been working on in the last month.

o yeah what kind of tools do you recomend

J

JRB

Make sure you wear a helmet when you jump. That brain can't stand any extra impacts.