Quantcast

Tails of creaking crabonz

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, I have been chasing this creak for months now. A hard-to-locate loud annoying noise when pedaling seated, when pedaling standing, but also when just pushing down on the top tube near the seat tube joint. BB? Took it apart 1000 times, nope. Suspension links and pivots? Took them apart 1000 times, nope. DR hanger? Nyet. Pedals? Nada. Crank/chain ring interface? Nein, mein Gott!

It was this fucker. The dropper is rubbing against the crabon seat tube deep-ish in the frame where the tube is no longer round and snug. There is a matching flat spot inside the seat tube right below the joint with the top tube. Any idea how to fix this properly? I assume this has the potential to keep wearing away the crabon layers until the seat tube fails. Dafuq, Santa Cruz?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So, I have been chasing this creak for months now. A hard-to-locate loud annoying noise when pedaling seated, when pedaling standing, but also when just pushing down on the top tube near the seat tube joint. BB? Took it apart 1000 times, nope. Suspension links and pivots? Took them apart 1000 times, nope. DR hanger? Nyet. Pedals? Nada. Crank/chain ring interface? Nein, mein Gott!

It was this fucker. The dropper is rubbing against the crabon seat tube deep-ish in the frame where the tube is no longer round and snug. There is a matching flat spot inside the seat tube right below the joint with the top tube. Any idea how to fix this properly? I assume this has the potential to keep wearing away the crabon layers until the seat tube fails. Dafuq, Santa Cruz?

Yeah, after 4” down the seat-tube, most mfrs say F-it and anything goes after that. It really sucks because that and the newer butted dropper posts mean theres little holding them, so slipping and creaking. My PNW was slightly undersized, so it was horrible. The WT i got recently was a much tighter fit and didnt have the issues, but I have to think if the seat tube extended at the right size longer AND the post wasnt butted that I wouldn’t have had the original issues.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd put a giant glob of high viscosity damping grease in that turned out channel where it is rubbing on either side.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A guy I know also experienced this type of creak, but in an aluminum bike. He had his seat post slammed all the way in, but if he raised it up a little, the creak went away. He even went with shorter cranks to allow that to happen.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Thank you, gents. I don't think damping grease is going to cut it as the gap is likely too big. I put a piece of electrical tape there for now mostly to test the clearance, and the creaking is gone, but I'll likely need a more permanent solution. Maybe I'll try some heavy duty Velcro tape next.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thank you, gents. I don't think damping grease is going to cut it as the gap is likely too big. I put a piece of electrical tape there for now mostly to test the clearance, and the creaking is gone, but I'll likely need a more permanent solution. Maybe I'll try some heavy duty Velcro tape next.
you have enough clearance in the upper levels of the seat tube to get a taped post in?