Quantcast

tailtaps

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
It's a beautiful sunny day.

In one hour I am leaving work for my lunch break and going to the skatepark.

I am not coming back from the skatepark until I pull a tailtap.

Teh suck has gone on long enough. It's time to end it.

Feel free to provide me moral support.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Out of quarter, tap, back in. In a properly steep 5 foot quarter. It's easier to do a 360 tap over a volcano or a wide spine for some reason. I used to do them at alameda all the time.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am leaving work now. There are many questions rushing through my brain:

Will I have the moral strength to stand by my principles?

Will the cruel, hard concrete make a mockery of my glorious endeavour?

Was there any botulism in that can of ravoli I just ate?

Stay tuned for answers...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What's a tailtap? Just a stall on your back wheel? I thought those were abuicantspells or fufunafunus.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Bicyclist said:
What's a tailtap? Just a stall on your back wheel? I thought those were abuicantspells or fufunafunus.
Abubacas and fufanus are when you stall on the coping. A fufanu is coming back in normal-wise, and an abubaca is coming out backwards.

A tailtap is when you come all the way out and tap the rear wheel on the deck.

PS: after a 2 hour, 45 min. lunch break I pulled it exactly once. SUCCESS!

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
my rear wheel trick world has just been tilted.

i thought a tail/tire tap was when you like rotated a little; say 90 degrees, landed on your rear wheel, then rotated the rest of the way back into the quarter or bank.

if thats not a tail tap, what is that trick called?

cool that you got it though

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
monkeyboy424 said:
my rear wheel trick world has just been tilted.

i thought a tail/tire tap was when you like rotated a little; say 90 degrees, landed on your rear wheel, then rotated the rest of the way back into the quarter or bank.

if thats not a tail tap, what is that trick called?

cool that you got it though
Yep, that's a tailtap. You can rotate as much as you want and it would still be a tailtap variation. I am hard at work on a variation where I turn a little more than 180 degrees. I plan on calling it an "alley-op tailtap" In fact, I put the ETA for me doing a 540 tailtap at less than 3 months.

These hard parts are, in order of difficulty:
1) making yourself drop back in
2) making sure you stall the rear wheel close enough to the coping.
3) not getting fired for taking a 2.75 hour lunch break.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The rotaty ones are way easier with thiner higher pressure slicks (obviously). I tried one recently after switching to Holy Rollers (which I was running at 45-50ish) having last done them with Primo Vs at 80ish and it's way harder to make the bike turn.

I also have on days and off days for this trick. Some days it's easy, some days it's impossible to get back round into the ramp.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Changleen said:
The rotaty ones are way easier with thiner higher pressure slicks (obviously). I tried one recently after switching to Holy Rollers (which I was running at 45-50ish) having last done them with Primo Vs at 80ish and it's way harder to make the bike turn.

I also have on days and off days for this trick. Some days it's easy, some days it's impossible to get back round into the ramp.
I am running holy rollers. They were at less than 40 yesterday cause the air hose at the petrol station was broke. I'm scared to try a park only tire.

I remember the one ride I did with a hookworm on the rear of my MTB, I hit ONE LEAF while turning and fell the f*** over in front of the art building. That was the last time I went without knobs.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thank you for bringing clarity to my jib world. i, on the other hand, suck at tail taps and can really only do them on the top of a bank.

ok.