Quantcast

tailwhips on an mtb? How? HELP!

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
any advice on tail whips on a mtb, my attempts tend to result like this

and land like this i just cant get the frame around

i really would like to at least get the bike around and worry about landing later, any tips?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
you have to move your arm in the motion of that wierd dance move stirring the pot. you make a circle with your arms the get it around

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, like tilt the bars forward and the way you want the frame to spin, and then as it moves round continue to precede the movement of the frame. The headtube should average on the vertical whilst all this is going on - it looks like you have the bike leaning back way too much. It's gonna be really hard to get it round like that unless you're the hulk.

Try doing ground based tailwhips on the front tyre to get the hang of the motion. Watch BMX videos.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
Yeah, like tilt the bars forward and the way you want the frame to spin, and then as it moves round continue to precede the movement of the frame. The headtube should average on the vertical whilst all this is going on - it looks like you have the bike leaning back way too much. It's gonna be really hard to get it round like that unless you're the hulk.

Try doing ground based tailwhips on the front tyre to get the hang of the motion. Watch BMX videos.
i thought you only posted in the political forum?! :nuts: :D

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
http://community.webshots.com/album/290689044jxSCSH lots of pics of whips in here.
aight doggy heres it how its done hit the lip of the jump push the bars down (this is my way of doing it andit works flawlessly) so the bike levels out. as soon as the rear end leaves the air kick (some people use the bars but i use my feet then bars) throw your leg behind you as if your running and jumping a fence and move your inside leg in to grab the pedal. as the bike rotates around and hits about 25-35 degress i turn the bars very slightly to the way opposite way of the spin then jerk them towards the direction of the spin. this makes the final 180 of the rotation go by really fast. by now you have the bike in your legs and you just have to get your feet on (hardest part of the trick)

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Leethal said:
Looks like you are well on your way... I've seen lots of people practice them laying on there back...

hahahahahhaha ya ive had some trouble, the back thing is a good idea though...
ive actually gotten the bike all teh way around but onlly rarely

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
At Sea Otter last year I was listening to some pros describing tailwhips to a few others(In no way do I claim to have any idea on how to tailwhip a bike)

One way that Kyle Ebbit had practiced them was by just standing next to the bike and giving the rear end a kick, popping it up and whipping it around. Takes a lot of upper body strength, but you will get down the movement you need to do. If you are having trouble getting your legs back on try relying more on your arms to complete the spin, don't kick around so much.

Looks good though, you'll have them soon enough I'm sure.

The Ito