Quantcast

Taipei trip photos

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Well I spent 8 or so days in Taipei returning just about a week ago. The trip was mostly for business but I did get out to take in some of the tourist attractions and dodged the raindrops to get a few photos. The sky was chronically overcast and most said it was as cold as it has ever been there. I must say the people of Taipei are some of the most friendly and accommodating folks I've ever met. On to some of the more interesting pics.

Taipei 101 by day (world's tallest building). I went up to observation deck on the 89th floor but there was too much fog to see much of anything below. The world's fastest elevators get you to the top though in pressurized cars at 1100m/min.

Taipei 101 by night with the moon the little spec to the left.

Took the cleanest subway I've ever been on (and I used to design the cars) over to the Longshan Temple. Lots of people there for afternoon prayer so it was tough to get decent shots of the surroundings.

Some of the detail on the pillars inside. I honestly couldn't tell if they were stone or some kind of coated metal work but very detailed either way and if they were stone, then they're that much more impressive.

There was a service going on but I grabbed this shot quickly, too bad about the guy in the background.

Took a trip down the Snake Alley market but it was daylight and very tame compared to the activity at night.

Made my way over the the Chaing Kai Shek memorial grounds and a shot of the Memorial building that faces the main gate and square

The National Library on the CKS Memorial grounds. We could hear the protest against the current government going on behind the trees but didn't feel like venturing over that way.

The National Theater was directly opposite the library but there was a big tent with Mercedes parked right in front of it which must of had something to do with the production of Phantom of the Opera going on that day.

All in all a good trip and I'm sure I'll be back. Hopefully the sun will be out next time though and I'm definitely going back to the night markets with my camera, you definitely see some crazy stuff by ignorant American standards.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Thanks for that Mike B, very interesting. Quite a few of my students have been to Taiwan and the photos they come back with are almost the same as yours.
How did you like the food there? The notoriously fussy Japanese tend to rave about it so I'm guessing it must be good.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
Thanks for that Mike B, very interesting. Quite a few of my students have been to Taiwan and the photos they come back with are almost the same as yours.
How did you like the food there? The notoriously fussy Japanese tend to rave about it so I'm guessing it must be good.

had any good eel lately ?? :)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
valve bouncer said:
Thanks vb. I didn't get off the beaten path too far on this trip, next time though. I was a little skeptical of some of the food at first but everything I had was very good. The best food was at the Japanese restaurants and the bakeries on every corner did not disappoint.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool shots, i like the close up of the stone/metal work. That's impressive to me.

The Tapei 101 look more like a stack of Chinese food take-out boxes to me. Interesting nontheless.