Quantcast

Taiwans that aren't made in Taiwan

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
taiwan.jpg

EDITED TO MAKE SENSE ***

So whats with the seemingly irrational hatred towards Taiwan anyways? Never did understand why people are against lower priced bikes (sometimes, depending on the marketing dept) at high quality....

talk amongst yourselves.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I hate Taiwan , no valid reasons why but America is better.

surely the world is coming to an end with all the stuff being made there and the whole global economy...Wait, is my computer made over sea ? I think my cell phone might be, pretty sure the gas in my car isnt from around here either . .. oh wait was my car made off shore too??!?!

Im almost positive most of my clothes and 99% of the materials in my house werent made here , does plastic grow on trees? Cause that we have a lot around where I live...Mmm maybe not, does this means its a BAD thing cause Im not supporting my local economy??? Im doomed !! think Im gonna jump off a bridge, this is too much to handle for me !!!!!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hate Taiwan , no valid reasons why but America is better.

surely the world is coming to an end with all the stuff being made there and the whole global economy...Wait, is my computer made over sea ? I think my cell phone might be, pretty sure the gas in my car isnt from around here either . .. oh wait was my car made off shore too??!?!

Im almost positive most of my clothes and 99% of the materials in my house werent made here , does plastic grow on trees? Cause that we have a lot around where I live...Mmm maybe not, does this means its a BAD thing cause Im not supporting my local economy??? Im doomed !! think Im gonna jump off a bridge, this is too much to handle for me !!!!!!!
do a flip

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Never did understand why people are against lower priced bikes (sometimes, depending on the marketing dept) at high quality.
Where's the evidence that the frame prices went down? my 1996 rigid Trek 930 was made in Waterloo and cost me $550 with STX. In the mid 2000's frames were $2,000. Now up to $3,500. It doesn't matter if it's made in the US, taiwan, or china. I never saved a penny by buying from C or T. $1600 for a fork made in Italy or the same price for a fork they made in (china or taiwan) that failed for 2-3 years and cost a company it's 'bomber' reputation. The quality went to schitt. The cost never dropped. The price dropped for them though. Why else would they move production? EC

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Taiwan is made in China, at least if you believe the higher-up's in the CCP. So all your Taiwan's are made in China, technically speaking, and none of your Taiwan's are actually made in Taiwan.

Unfortunately, that means all your Taiwans are just outsourced to China, which makes them no better than all those traitor companies who outsource to Taiwan.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Taiwan is made in China, at least if you believe the higher-up's in the CCP. So all your Taiwan's are made in China, technically speaking, and none of your Taiwan's are actually made in Taiwan.

Unfortunately, that means all your Taiwans are just outsourced to China, which makes them no better than all those traitor companies who outsource to Taiwan.
All your Taiwan's are belong to US?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Where's the evidence that the frame prices went down? my 1996 rigid Trek 930 was made in Waterloo and cost me $550 with STX. In the mid 2000's frames were $2,000. Now up to $3,500. It doesn't matter if it's made in the US, taiwan, or china. I never saved a penny by buying from C or T. $1600 for a fork made in Italy or the same price for a fork they made in (china or taiwan) that failed for 2-3 years and cost a company it's 'bomber' reputation. The quality went to schitt. The cost never dropped. The price dropped for them though. Why else would they move production? EC
This is my problem with China/Taiwan. I don't care if stuff is made there, but I expect it to cost what it should. There is no good reason that stuff is made over there then increased in price. See the Sette Vexx. It is virtually the same bike as several made stateside, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. You miss out on the quality and performance of something like a Foes, but you pay $2000 less. I cannot understand why people rush to produce in Taiwan and the customer never sees the cost savings...except for profit/bottom line, which worked so well for some companies...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah! Stupid capitalism.

USA USA etc..

FFS people, sort it out.
sorry mate, if I want to spend my money in my relatively local economy, or at least to a person I know worked on or had something to do with the building process, that's up to me, and I do expect it to cost more. I'm sorry but I find it retarded that you can get a US-Built Foes or Intense nowadays, and it costs less than taiwan built out-of-spec rubbish.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
sorry mate, if I want to spend my money in my relatively local economy, or at least to a person I know worked on or had something to do with the building process, that's up to me, and I do expect it to cost more. I'm sorry but I find it retarded that you can get a US-Built Foes or Intense nowadays, and it costs less than taiwan built out-of-spec rubbish.
When I said something like this in the Evil thread (at the climax of the hype) I got into trouble. Be careful, people on here like to get screwed by companies but don't want to hear about it. ;)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Are people really still making these sweeping generalisations about country of manufacture? The variation in quality of products coming out of any one country is FAR bigger than the average difference in quality between stuff coming out of one country and another. Some TW-made stuff is garbage, some US-made stuff is garbage, some TW-made stuff is brilliant, some US-made stuff is brilliant. Choose wisely no matter where you're buying from.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are people really still making these sweeping generalisations about country of manufacture? The variation in quality of products coming out of any one country is FAR bigger than the average difference in quality between stuff coming out of one country and another. Some TW-made stuff is garbage, some US-made stuff is garbage, some TW-made stuff is brilliant, some US-made stuff is brilliant. Choose wisely no matter where you're buying from.
This is true, but alongside it there seems to be an unwritten law: Don't buy any products from a company that has just shifted or started production in TW until a period of two years has transpired. It seems to work in the MTB industry.

I'm not saying you can't get good products in TW, but that they should represent some form of cost savings for the customer or at least offer a level of construction and quality impossible to get locally to the vendor. When the Giant glory 2 first came out, it was 1699. That's mental for a WC level DH frame, but it seems totally reasonable when you consider the quantities of scale for Giant's production line. The reality nowadays is that shipping companies and oil companies are getting absurdly rich, and neither the customer nor vendor sees any of the profit from overseas production. Just my opinion.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Not growth either, but growth in imports. Big news for economies that have ridden out the current recession on the back of exporting large amounts of raw materials to China.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Are you kidding me? They are comparing month to month, and week to week for the realty bit.

talk years, or at least multiple months, then you can say they are slowing.

On a side note, if the stuff coming out of Taiwan is super expensive, thats just the company dinging the hell out of you, not the country itself.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've noticed a few of the brand name bikes selling bikes up to $1000AU are coming from China and their welds look spot on on the surface.
Spec and prices seem about the same as a similar bike made in Taiwan last year, so will we see only high end stuff from Taiwan soon if China is making good entry level gear?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I imagine it will always come down to the lowest bidder. China will probably take over a majority of production until gas prices increase again and the cost savings of having the work done there will be overshadowed by shipping it back.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
At the moment China is stockpiling Aussie coal while it's cheap and they are investing in previously closed mines and pulling more coal, I'm sort of scared of the amount of power China will have in the coming years.

I guess it all comes back to the consumer chasing the best deal, if we didn't buy stuff just because it was this years model we could no doubt afford stuff made in the country it was designed in. I'm gonna be the guy that rocks up to races year after year on the same bike, my current setup is capable of greatness,me, not so much.