Quantcast

Taj Interview

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
I don't get it. Is he riding for Giant so that he can get boring and ****ty road bikes and mountain bikes for free? Why can't he get a job like the rest of us? I hate Giant.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Giantmaglio just seems to long and silly to be my new name on here. I love Taj, he is my favorite rider, and a huge reason I ride T1's. I liked the small company, F the man, kinda feel of Terribleone and it does sadden me to see this change.

Whatever is best for him I guess, I just like the uncorporate vibe better, you won't see me following to Giant bikes anytime soon.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
the new giant frames are actually pretty good. my friend rides a t1 garrett and is a diehard t1 guy, and those were hsi words. maybe he's making a good choice. the new bmxes are actually nice

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I don't get it. Is he riding for Giant so that he can get boring and ****ty road bikes and mountain bikes for free? Why can't he get a job like the rest of us? I hate Giant.
I met Taj at Rays last year. Nice guy and obviously an amazing rider.

Seriously road biking is fun. Fixie or ss riding in rush hour traffic with 3 lanes each is way fun!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Saturday night in DT Chicago, Alleycat, hundreds of riders, rocking in a fixie in traffic IN THE RAIN is fun!

I love my fixie, most fun I've ever had on a road bike, and I would suggest trying an alleycat to any of you guys, a sweet form or racing!

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
I met Taj at Rays last year. Nice guy and obviously an amazing rider.

Seriously road biking is fun. Fixie or ss riding in rush hour traffic with 3 lanes each is way fun!
Yes, yes, I also love mountainbiking and road riding, but what I'm saying is that Giant's MTBs and road bikes suck. Besides, Taj built his career on an anti-corporate, rider-owned ethic. This is all total bull****.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I'm quite happy with my STP. They have Lenosky on board, and he had a big influence in the geometry of it. It's pretty sweet.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the idea of fans wanting icons to stay hardcore reminded me of this:

MINOR THREAT, one of America's greatest punk bands, recently broke up. Ian MacKaye, their singer, felt it was the right time to do it, for various reasons. First off, the fame and attention they were getting was starting to hit down hard at them. Ian says, "It was hard to do, and took a lot of balls, but everyone in the band is happy we did it. We're all still friends, perhaps better friends now than before. The pressure was growing incredibly -- being so "acclaimed". We've always tried to keep a nice slow thing going, but now... We had gotten to the point where it's not so much that the band changed, or the people changed, or the music changed, but our lives within the band changed. Lyle and Brian were 16 or 17 when we started. They're growing. They want to be more professional musicians, and that's fine. I hope they do it. But I swore to myself that MINOR THREAT would not be that kind of act. Thankfully, we called it in time. Most bands, someone kills themselves or they "sell out". Our last hurrah of honesty was to bow out before it became a dishonest situation, in the sense of being "too big". My dream, from the beginning, was to "make it" or be big, but to not use the traditional channels and do the same old thing -- to prove to people you could make it being people. You don't have to "sell" yourself. We proved the point, and could have taken it a lot further, but got to the point where other people in the band didn't. We made it relatively high, for our kind of music, and not too many other bands at that stage could claim to have kept it as honest".

Does Ian have any regrets? "Well, I'm worried that it might not have been the perfect time to do it, as we didn't get to play a lot of places we never got to before, like Eastern Canada, Seattle, Denver, etc. But, we all knew we would break up; it was just a matter of when. We all had different aspirations, different wants from the band. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life."

What lies in the future? Lyle and Brian are working on musical stuff together. Jeff and I are committed to working on our record company (Dischord)." Does Ian still want to do music? "Right now, the priority is the label. But I don't feel creatively dried up or anything; I still have some more to do. I love to play, to get on stage, and MINOR THREAT was my perfect vehicle, and I may never be able to get one like that again. We were there, that's all I can say!"
Printed in Maximumrocknroll #10 (1983)

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Yes, yes, I also love mountainbiking and road riding, but what I'm saying is that Giant's MTBs and road bikes suck.
Back you're trash talk up. Why does Giant suck? What do you ride now?

Ever heard of Russ Okawa, Travis Chipres, Perry Kramer, Skip Hess, Dave Clinton, or Sam Arellano? These are all guys that were major influencers in the shaping of BMX- they are also people that have been heavily involved in Giant or still are.